Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 03:01 PM

769 posts, read 782,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
What if everybody takes a 30 minute nap or 45 ... or an hour - where do you make the cutoff on abusing company time?

What if everybody steals stuff from the office?
You set goals and responsibilities and as long as those are met you don't care if the employee has long lunches, makes personal phone calls, runs errands, sleeps etc.

That's how it works with my employer. Results count. Everything else doesn't matter.

About office supplies: We have a reasonable use policy. No one steals supplies. Average pay is above six figures and thieves would not make it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 03:13 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
My goodness did you just step out of a time machine from the 18th century?

I'm sooooo glad I never had to work for terrible employers like you(rs). An occasional personal call is stealing?!? WTF???
I have never worked for a company that didn't give you a morning 15 minute break, a hour lunch break and an afternoon 15 minute break.

And during those times, we had a meeting room where you could make your personal call. Your personal business wasn't shared with the office or clients. And then you went outside for a smoke break. Not a stairwell or a bathroom.

If you had some sort of catastrophe where you had to be on phone handling things all day? That's why you have PTO.

If it happened while at work? We, as a group, coped.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:30 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
Lol!!! You assume I would want to work in your sweat shop?!

I have an absolute dream job compared what you could possibly offer. You could never afford me. Nor would I ever work for a power control freak.
Once again you assume I have a sweat shop and I am not a control freak. I'm not sure what part of
federal guidelines and mandates have to be met you do not understand.
Don't pat yourself on the back too much in regards to your dream job or your ability to choose your price.
You have no idea what I can afford nor do you have job security if you work for someone else.
You as well as anyone else can be replaced however, I own the company so I will never be replaced....

Old 03-01-2017, 03:44 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You're right, but I think your idea of who didn't grow up is backwards.

As adults we "should" all be able to be accountable for our own actions and there should be the expectation that each person will act as an adult and follow company rules. Instead the world doesn't work that way and those who did nothing wrong and didn't speak up will eventually suffer a consequence because of it.

Too many people clocking in late and leaving early/missing work? You get an attendance tracking system.
Too many people stealing supplies? Locked supply closet where you have to sign out anything you receive.
Too many people stealing food? Companies stop providing lunch at meetings and remove the refrigerators.
Too many people on their cell phones? Company implements a strict no phone policy.

People often start being micro-managed BECAUSE of those poor co-workers as a method to stop some of it from occurring. If everyone followed the rules and used a little common sense, companies wouldn't have to do that.

Telling a manager about an issue with another co-worker abusing something doesn't make that person look bad. It makes the manager who does nothing about it look bad.

What you see means nothing. I have to see it! Try firing someone because of something a co-worker says they saw... It doesn't work. Try disciplining someone because of something a co-worker claims. That doesn't work either. Depriving someone of their ability to make a living and support their family is a big deal and it needs to be based on more than the whisperings of the office snitch.

How do I know you aren't out to get Suzie because you are sleeping with her husband? Or you want to get Suzie fired because your friend Linda wants the job? I have no way to tell the purity of your motivation! Turn this around and how would you feel if you were the victim of the office snitch? And often times it is the best employees who are victimized most by this behavior. My best guess is jealousy!

And we are all managed by one computer or another in the workplace. Something, somewhere is tracking everything you do! For better or for worse. No employee or manager is perfect all the time. But me personally I want my employees to trust me to manage. After all I want my employees to actually do the work, not waste their time learning how to defeat all those tracking systems to just look good on paper.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:34 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Some employees on this thread and so many on CD need to understand some old sayings in the work world.

1: Shape up or ship out. Meaning you do it my way all the time, or you have given your resignation when you do not do it my way.

2: It is my way, or the highway. Meaning, you will do things my way and not try to take advantage of me, or you will be fired.

3: There are three ways to do something. They are the right way, the wrong way, and the company way. No matter what you think, you will do it the company way or out the door you go.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
I think the OP could get the very best answer to his/her questions from reading the many individual threads on this forum seeking advice from anguished workers on what to do about their coworkers who do these things in the workplace. "Snitches" often get advised to snitch from right here in these pages.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:05 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I do not like snitches, handy for management, but as a manager, I have no trust of them. The issue is that their fellow coworkers also do not trust them, which creates issues of team work and synergy. I often find snitches are busy bodies, meaning they are concentrating more on what other people are doing than their own productivity. My experience is snitches usually become a target of management to try to get rid of.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:10 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
They act like the man is their friend. I've seen snitches get fired a lot bc they bring down the morale. Most bosses don't even want to hear that stuff.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:59 PM

7 posts, read 9,048 times
It only takes a few days to figure out who the weak sister is at your job. Just stay away from him/her, don't tell her anything that can hurt you and don't do anything that can get you fired.

these people never change. They either stop a bullet from one of her victims or end up in a convalescent because their families don't know how to deal with him or her.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:48 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancy feast View Post
It only takes a few days to figure out who the weak sister is at your job. Just stay away from him/her, don't tell her anything that can hurt you and don't do anything that can get you fired.

these people never change. They either stop a bullet from one of her victims or end up in a convalescent because their families don't know how to deal with him or her.
The one in the wrong, is the one not working within the company guidelines, and they are the one causing he problem. If everyone is doing the job they are paid to do, no one would be snitching on them. When someone is letting the team down, by not working at their job, and doing things that are causing others to have to keep covering for them, it is time that they go.

It should not be a battle between the employer and the employees, but work together as a team to do what the employee is taking the company money for them to do. When they are not doing their job they are paid to do, they should be gone.

On the other hand, if they are doing their job and following company policy they should feel no pressure as to whether their job is safe or not. Their paycheck is a fair trade their work. There should be no animosity between the management, and the employees. It is the ones that do not follow company policy, and do not do their fair share of the work, that are always a problem for their co-workers and management, and they should be gotten rid of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment