Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 12:47 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,178 times

Advertisements

I would like to get a part time job to get exercise a few days a week. I live in California

Reviewing the requirements for a Guard Card, they seem extensive. Once your background check is completed and 8 hr class, you get your card. That's how I read it. My husband was a Security Guard about 20 yrs ago, the requirements were much less then.

Questions if you are comfortable

1. Can you get hired and never complete the additional 32 hrs of training?
2. What is your title and job description? hourly pay

Pay isn't that important really. I already work between 42-45 hrs, aka full time.

Thank you

Old 03-12-2017, 04:28 PM

So there is an add on Craigslist to be a Security Guard at the County Club Estates right across the street from our house. The exact position I am interested in. Sadly, they patrol 24/7 but I hardly see them during the day so who knows. Maybe the sign at the Country Club Estates is misleading.

I could probably get my husband to drive the security vehicle for me, then I cycle for a few hrs to get my exercise at night. Considering they don't expect us to drive other places. There is another sub division they may have a contract with just 1.5 miles away, which is fine.

No one would know he's driving. I once met a guy who had his baby with him one night. He told me he really liked the job except he drank way too much coffee to stay awake. Not even sure why they hire a security guard, no one ever even goes into that sub-division. 95% Vacation homes. We live in a very affluent area, the entire town is this way.

This just might come to pass.....I better get my resume prepared

Last edited by NancyDrew1; 03-12-2017 at 04:42 PM..

Old 03-14-2017, 12:20 PM

Apparently the other posts in this thread, one i replied to... have now been removed? odd...

Old 03-14-2017, 01:02 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
I would like to get a part time job to get exercise a few days a week.
I know this isn't really your question but "security guard" and "exercise" aren't always, usually not in fact, compatable. Likely you will spend 10 minutes of your hour doing your rounds and the remaining 50 minutes looking at security cameras (or sleeping or reading a book).

Don't end up like this guy:

Old 03-14-2017, 02:46 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,873 times
Securtiy guards don’t even have to run!

Old 03-14-2017, 07:29 PM

If I don't cycle during the shift, I will end up like that fat guy.

Who knows if they'll hire a female. Tonight I'll go see if the site supervisor is working

So i applied today for the job. Decided to be a rat fink and hide my bicycle.
I'll ride my normal route which takes 1 hr 35 min but prior when I was in shape, it took an hour.

So out of the 8 hrs, I should get at least 1 hr of hardcore cycling and some jogging in.

The hills are enormous here, some are so tall you lean forward going up them not to flip the bike backwards.
It's doubtful no one will notice when I park the vehicle in the middle of the night. No one comes by.
This might be my key to keeping fit at least two days a week
Too bad it is from midnight to 8am, 10pm-6am would be better. it'll be almost 11am before I actually fall asleep.

I am sure these people take cat naps at work. With only being required to drive 40 miles (4 trips around the complex = 40 miles) and checking on the golf and clubhouse 4 times a night, what else can you do??? there is nothing to write down, nothing happens in this million dollar vacation home area.

If I don't get in good physical shape, it's just a crappy low paying job that will mess up my biological clock for the entire week. Entire month. At least I can go home to use the bathroom....and refill on caffeine two days per week. A hundred dollars to spend per week is all I need so it pays fine, even if only $1-$2 more than Minimum wage. Best of all, when I "retire" at age 55, I'll keep this job if it keeps me in shape. We want to start flipping houses when I am mid 50's, no more employment (except this maybe)

Everyone should get paid to get in shape!

Old 03-14-2017, 07:37 PM

Created a resume for this position=1 hr

Then....it took an ENTIRE HOUR to answer all of their questions for the job application. Stupid scenereos of "what you do if....". THEN it wouldn't even let me upload the resume I created on google docs.

Then it said I have a gap in employment.

Not true, it's just NUNYA....

Then it asked how much I desire to get paid. Excuse me, but what do you pay per hr?? Try disclosing that

I just don't need to tell you what I did during that time. We've had a home business since 1990 so I've never really been off work except giving birth.

We'll see if they'll hire a female. Not that they have much choice, most people would've given up by now.

This is [Mod cut.] for the record. BEWARE. Yet they have this contract and that is where I want to work.

So I'll suck it up

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-15-2017 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: Company name deleted at poster's request.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I know this isn't really your question but "security guard" and "exercise" aren't always, usually not in fact, compatable. Likely you will spend 10 minutes of your hour doing your rounds and the remaining 50 minutes looking at security cameras (or sleeping or reading a book).

Don't end up like this guy:
He's kinda cute....

Old 03-14-2017, 08:35 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
When you get a job working security you can't tell the company where YOU want to work, they will offer you what they have open at the time, and the hours of that shift. And I guess you don't know that they send out field supervisors/patrol drivers at random to check on guards. So your husband wouldn't be able to do your work for you.

I can guarantee you that Securitas has many other people that are willing to work whatever hours they're given.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
When you get a job working security you can't tell the company where YOU want to work,
I guess you missed the first sentence of my post!
"So there is an add on Craigslist to be a Security Guard at the County Club Estates right across the street from our house. The exact position I am interested in."

Quote:
And they will offer you what they have open at the time, and the hours of that shift. And I guess you don't know that they send out field supervisors/patrol drivers at random to check on guards. So your husband wouldn't be able to do your work for you.
Wrong again. You're really on a roll here
Um...this is why I mentioned and knew about the "Site Supervisor" I've met him. I live RIGHT next door. He is OFF work during this shift. There is NO ONE who wants to come up to our sleepy little town to "Check on" this particular Guard position, as you say. They need to hire someone reliable

Quote:
I can guarantee you that Securitas has many other people that are willing to work whatever hours they're given.
YDon't be silly. You cannot guarantee anything of the sorts.

They go thru Guards for this position all the time. Why? because people come from OUTSIDE to work here. . There are VERY FEW renters here or lower income people, this is an AFFLUENT area willing to work such a job. This is what i am told. Anything else you can get yourself confused about?

Both my husband and I've spoken with the site supervisor during our cycling rides thru the Country Club at night. He works days now so I'll check in with him on Monday. Not totally sure if I want the position quite yet but it sounds very appealing.

Last edited by NancyDrew1; 03-15-2017 at 08:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment