Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:53 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times

Advertisements

Anyone who nickles you over a commission is not worth working for. Quietly go apply & work for the competition.
In future, have followup email on any compensation discussion...this is followup to our conversation to make sure I understand blah, blah..., am I correct? You should get confirmation email in return...print & keep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 12:21 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Anyone who nickles you over a commission is not worth working for. Quietly go apply & work for the competition.
In future, have followup email on any compensation discussion...this is followup to our conversation to make sure I understand blah, blah..., am I correct? You should get confirmation email in return...print & keep.

+1

OP, I worked for a boss exactly like this for 4 years. I left and found a similar job elsewhere and I wish I had done it sooner! I finally knew what it felt like to work for someone who truly appreciated me. Get your resume together and start looking ASAP!

Old 03-16-2017, 12:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questionaboutjob1234 View Post
In my defense the heated argument started because of him. My boss is very emotional and it is very hard to have a discussion to solven an issue in a calm manner
How many threads are you going to start on the same issue?

You were given some good advice that I guess you didn't like, but this now what your 3rd thread on the same issue.

Your boss is emotional because he has a son who works for him who is now in rehab.

Go look for another job.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:48 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questionaboutjob1234 View Post
You seem to think that I am the one initiating these arguments. That is not true. My boss is a very emotional person who cannot have a rational discussion. When I have arguments - even in my relationship - I look for SOLUTIONS not talking and talking and talking and yelling. This is kind of how the conversation started:

"So, that client we recently got...it was one of the prospects I had been in contact months ago. Just confirming I will be receiving the 20% we discussed of commission?"

"WHAT? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I DON'T REMEMBER AGREEING TO THAT?"

I never raised my voice at him, or interrupted him and I even said I like working with him and would like to figure out a solution. I may not be perfect and I do admit I do choose the wrong timing sometimes, but I certainly don't cause these heated arguments on purpose. If he was a rational person he could have answered me or said something like "We can have a meeting and discuss this later".
Yea, I'm sure it happened exactly like this....

Old 03-16-2017, 04:50 PM

757 posts, read 838,324 times
Anyone who works for a family business and is NOT family is going to come out on the short end of everything sooner or later. Think about that.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:42 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
Anyone who works for a family business and is NOT family is going to come out on the short end of everything sooner or later. Think about that.
+1

Old 03-18-2017, 12:16 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,163 times
20% commission? Does he pay you by the hour? Because if you are good, just go straight commission or start your own firm and keep all for yourself.

It's not that difficult to start your own insurance agency. I know two people who don't even have a HS degree and they run their own agency. It should be a piece of cake for someone who is going to get a MBA.

It's not like you don't have any experience. Most people would already moved on to start their own agency after a year or two experience.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:13 PM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How many threads are you going to start on the same issue?

You were given some good advice that I guess you didn't like, but this now what your 3rd thread on the same issue.

Your boss is emotional because he has a son who works for him who is now in rehab.

Go look for another job.
I give it another weeks tops before some other issue and argument pops up.

More drama than a season of Days of our Lives.

Hoping the OP is looking for another job, unless sucker for punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment