Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2017, 12:45 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Only in isolated circumstances. I'm an engineer and these jobs are available for me. They just really aren't usually all that lucrative. I do far better in the US. But, I would not rule it out. I've already spent 6+ month stints in Europe and Asia. Once you get used to it, it's not that bad.

It could be, but it probably isn't $200k and more than likely isn't tax free. However, if someone offered me the capability to make $400k in a year tax free, I would have to strongly consider it. That's like making $150k/year for 4 years (considering taxes are roughly 33%) -- which is a very good salary for most. I've worked in Dubai and Kuwait City for a few weeks in each city. It was hot as all hell, but it really wasnt that bad. I found most people to be warm and quite hospitable. If you really need a drink in Dubai, any western hotel is serving them up. In Kuwait, drinking was completely illegal when I was there.
Well, you're an engineer which there are probably plenty of jobs in the U.S that pay well over 6 figures, thus likely not worth it to you for an overseas assignment. I'm in IT, but not software engineering, so i would definitely take positions in Dubai for Systems or Database support paying well over 100k especially if housing provided...better yet if they put me in a hotel..lol

Btw, does anyone know the top recruiters for positions in Dubai, especially IT positions? My only concerns would be if the position requires working on weekends regularly unless i'm on call. Also, if they send me to other middle eastern countries like Saudi Arabia for mini-projects. Sorry, no interest in Saudi Arabia. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 12:48 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I hear people say all the time, with their degree or skill they could go to Dubai or Kuwait area and work as a contractor for 6 months and make $100-200K.

Is this actually true and would it be worth it to go to the middle east as a American and work for 6 months to make $1-200K tax free?
I did it in the eighties and made bank. It put me and my wife ahead decades financially.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:54 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
Well that's their culture so you have to adapt to their way of thinking. Sorry I know it sucks but that's the way it is.
And that's why I have NO desire to ever go there!!

Old 03-18-2017, 05:06 PM

173 posts, read 111,509 times
I am not getting: Why tax free?

Old 03-18-2017, 05:11 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
With my ethnic/religious background no chance in heck I would step foot in any Arab nation.
Say you don't practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
My friend was thinking about it next year and he has a 2 month old child. Im like why would you want to bring your 1 year old child to the dessert in the 120 degree heat just for money. I know 100 or even 200K sounds great for 6 months, but I always wonder, how much of other things in your life will you have to give up for that money.

Will you work 7 days a week, do they respect Christians out there, are you looked at as a second class citizen, and do they really drive as crazy as people make it sound.
I doubt people there put their children in uncomfortable situations, temperature wise.

Six months is a short period of time to live through for 100k to 200k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Isn't drinking alcohol or hooking up without getting married punishable by death? No thanks.
Wean off the alcohol before going there. Alcohol is legal in some places there or with a license. Hook up? Just date yourself for 6 months and think of all that party money you'll have when you return.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:15 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I did it in the eighties and made bank. It put me and my wife ahead decades financially.
How much money was it realistic to make back then? Readers of this thread can put that amount into an inflation calculator to get the current day equivalent.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:19 PM

619 posts, read 575,664 times
I doubt my skills set would be useful there, and I don't know how safe I would be with my ethnic background, but if I did have a skill that was in demand and I wasn't the religion that I am, why not?

I was actually considering moving to China to teach English at one point. I know it's not the same thing but I think moving to a different region do it a year can be a good thing.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:29 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
The weather is like Arizona.

You can wear normal clothes to the mall and drink Starbucks. Long sleeves/pants are expected and recommended, nobody will expect a western woman to wear a Niqab or whatever.

Access to alcohol is legal and easy. It's not a dry country, it's a dry religion. That's debatable too. There are night clubs!

I've had no problem in the ME as a woman, even in Egypt. I'm wondering how many of you get your information from Fox News?

That being said, jobs in the ME are not as lucrative as in the past. You're not going to get 200k in a year without connections.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:35 PM

607 posts, read 978,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
The weather is like Arizona.

You can wear normal clothes to the mall and drink Starbucks. Long sleeves/pants are expected and recommended, nobody will expect a western woman to wear a Niqab or whatever.

Access to alcohol is legal and easy. It's not a dry country, it's a dry religion. That's debatable too. There are night clubs!

I've had no problem in the ME as a woman, even in Egypt. I'm wondering how many of you get your information from Fox News?

That being said, jobs in the ME are not as lucrative as in the past. You're not going to get 200k in a year without connections.
Some regions in the Middle East want to do things with your head. That is not Dubai.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:12 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
The currency exchange of $200k over there is $55k in US dollars. No thanks. Would take a lot more money then that to make me uproot from my home country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment