Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 08:06 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times

Advertisements

Hello,
It has been said a million times around here, "if you want to get a big pay raise, go to a different company". I have made a few posts regarding my situation, and always put "I plan to retire at my current company in ~30 years". I have always gotten questioned on here why I plan on staying so long. I really enjoy my current company. I work for a major airline, in their hub. As an airline employee I get unlimited flight benefits (as do my spouse, siblings, parents, 1 free guest, and several passes to give out a year). I have had the opportunity to visit several cities around the world for free; in business or first class! I don't know what I would do without that perk, and that's the sole reason why airline employees stick it out for so long. Furthermore, upon retirement, flight benefits are retained for life.

With that said, I plan on trying to move up the ladder, and get as many pay raises as I can. The current plan is to move up to a higher paying position every two years. Being an internal candidate, the pay jump is very small, and based on a mathematical formula, with a max percentage of 10-12% raise. If I feel I am not getting my worth, I have thought about jumping ship to another company, get the big pay raise, and obtain some new skills. It is known that sometimes an internal candidate is offered a position at a much higher rate based on their current pay.

I could live without the flight benefits for a few years, but ultimately have used them so often with this company, that I cannot see myself without them. It would be pretty sad to no longer have those. My plan would be to eventually come back to my current company-- with a better bargaining options. My current employer is the only airline in town, so jumping to another airline, then back to this one isn't an option.

Has anyone ever done that? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 08:50 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
isnt it easier to make more money and buy the tickets out right?

Old 03-18-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
No. First class international monthly? I don't think so... I also travel domestically at least once a week for fun.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:09 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Not necessarily.

If we're talking a raise of a few grand or so a year of a raise, not going to be better than getting unlimited flight miles and free seats on business/first class.

As long as you leave your present company on very good terms, I don't see why you couldn't return later. The key is on good terms. Don't be like some posters on CD who seem so eager to create drama and discord in their workplace, those types of people would never be welcomed back. Don't burn bridges in other words

Going to another company for higher pay is a perfectly legitimate reason to move on. They may even offer you a counter offer to stay.

As far as internal salaries, the places I worked for didn't bump you up in pay if you moved internally, unless it was for a higher position/pay grade. It's always been a lateral move for me. I don't see why any company would just give you a raise for a lateral move.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Not necessarily.

If we're talking a raise of a few grand or so a year of a raise, not going to be better than getting unlimited flight miles and free seats on business/first class.

As long as you leave your present company on very good terms, I don't see why you couldn't return later. The key is on good terms. Don't be like some posters on CD who seem so eager to create drama and discord in their workplace, those types of people would never be welcomed back. Don't burn bridges in other words

Going to another company for higher pay is a perfectly legitimate reason to move on. They may even offer you a counter offer to stay.

As far as internal salaries, the places I worked for didn't bump you up in pay if you moved internally, unless it was for a higher position/pay grade. It's always been a lateral move for me. I don't see why any company would just give you a raise for a lateral move.
Hello Suburban,
Thank you for taking my posts as a whole instead of just speaking of the flight benefits. In 2016, I took 50 flights. If I jump, I would of course leave on good terms. For now though, I'll see what I can do at my current employer.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:36 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
As long as you leave your present company on very good terms, I don't see why you couldn't return later.
I do. Leaving on the best of terms doesn't ensure you can just come back later, especially at a much higher salary. The airline may not be in hiring mode or may be opting for younger cheaper hires.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:53 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
No. First class international monthly? I don't think so... I also travel domestically at least once a week for fun.
Mod cut.

Free tickets is NOT compensation. You can't use that to pay your mortgage, or get the mortgage company to loan you a larger amount, because you wouldn't qualify for it. You can't use it to cover educational expenses, or to buy a new car. Can't use it to replace your roof. You can't use it to adequately fund your retirement plans. You entirely have your priorities in life totally distorted. This is like staying at a company because they give you free beer. I got news for you, beer is not money and you don't need beer. You don't need free airline tickets.

What is your salary there? Do they have a tuition benefit? Have you gone to college? What is your job there exactly? How many years have you been there? What other industries would your skills be useful for?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-19-2017 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: Personal attack.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:00 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
It is a viable plan, although it does carry some risk.

Every time you change jobs, you run a chance that you enter a bad situation that could hinder your career later. It might be a bad boss or a terrible company, either one of which could cost you good references. If you have to quit or are fired because it is a terrible place, it might make you unemployed for a period of time a deplete your savings.

Your plan of changing jobs every two years is rather aggressive for some industries. You run the risk of being labeled as a job-hopper.

Third, your current company, the airline, may not have appropriate openings in the future, and they may not care that you ever worked for them in 2017. You may not get rehired.

All in all, your plan is feasible, but it increases both risk and reward.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:56 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times
i see a risk. Companies always change their employee benefits as a cost cutting measure.

The risk I see, if you leave, is they stopping offering free travel to new employees and only the existing employees are grandfathered into that benefit. Would you be able to get back in if you find out they're going to stop offering that benefit?

Air travel greatly increases your carbon foot print and whether you believe in climate change or not, you are contributing to it.

On the upside, you might find a company that has a lot more to offer and make you happier even without the travel benefits.

I joined a company recently that I never expected to work for and never expected to like working for them but the past 6+ months have been comparatively fantastic when I look back at my prior life in much higher paying positions doing IT work.

my opinion: if you are happy, stay where you are. there are too many miserable people working in jobs they hate.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:10 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
When you leave a job, you've left. What makes you think you'll be able to stroll back in five years later? Maybe they've been acquired, or merged, or gone out of business. Maybe your boss is gone and nobody remembers you, and you're just another applicant. Maybe they do remember you, and think, "Oh, yeah, this is the guy who quit once before."

If you want more money, go. Do not assume you can come back later. Assume you can't, and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. Or, if you really like working there, stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment