Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2017, 05:33 PM

63 posts, read 45,651 times

Advertisements

Here's some examples of what I mean:

Law degree grads seem to have a lot of options in multiple industries -- outside of merely practicing law
MBA graduates seem to have a lot of options in multiple industries as well
Ivy League graduates seem to have a lot of options regardless of what they major in
Computer Science majors seems to command a lot of options/respect even outside of computer science
A PhD seems to open doors even outside of one's specific field
Etc...

Basically, I'm asking what credentials one can invest in to significantly boost their career brand, regardless of any particular intended outcome. What are some credentials that give people a lot of options and leverage, even outside of a particular specialization? It doesn't have to be degree-related necessarily, though it obviously can be -- perhaps it's a certification, a particular type of experience, etc.

I've only just begun to look at career in this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 02:04 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,755,952 times
Customer Service-- seems to branch out a lot.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:53 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,329,700 times
A challenging university degree is a demonstration of cognitive ability and grit. For that reason alone, many companies require degrees even though you might not actually use the specific skills.

For example, many engineers end up on Wall Street. Investment Banking has little to do with engineering. However, if you have what it takes to get your engineering degree from a school like Georgia Tech or U Cal Berkeley, you're in.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:56 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
the credentials that you dont see, that arent written after your name

skills like networking, knowing how to manage people/resources, being rich. yes, being rich is a credential, rich people like being around other rich people, so at least dress and act the part

Old 03-26-2017, 07:01 AM

607 posts, read 979,105 times
Sell yourself and know people. My degree is from a small school and work around people with degrees all the way from Harvard small schools.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:03 AM

421 posts, read 205,187 times
1. Your looks (huuuuge! especially for ladies)
2. Height (for the guys)
3. Your social skills/likeability (for everyone)
4. Your age (younger is better)
5. Connections/friends inside the company or industry

Just off the top of my head, those are probably the biggest ones that "won't show up on a resume". If I had to guess I would say #1 and #5 are the most important in today's cut-throat employment world.

If you got looks and connections? You will go far in the work world, I have seen it over and over again I've observed at least 3 different people that didn't even go to college, yet command good salaries and "higher up" positions due solely to connections
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment