Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 06:00 PM

440 posts, read 551,284 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am in a unique scenario: I "remotely" work for a specific sales team in my company, yet, some of my duties are in accounting/invoicing department. My team is scattered throughout the USA, yet technically based in CA, while I am sitting in the accounting department in NY.

So technically this person is NOT my manager , however is the manager I have a direct physical day-to-day contact.

It seems there is ALWAYS a misunderstanding in my request or reports... OR... I am held responsible on duties that are beyond or NOT my function. Example, Was held responsible for a incompleted refund, That was documented completed, in both my system and an email to me. (yet, I needed to follow up again ..? )

So, in the past, I just would ask for tips to improve so I can not make those "mistakes" ( to which there was never a response, as I always follow all my procedures to the T)

However recently I have been being hit with a lot of questionable "improvement situations".. i.e Being brought into scenarios I cannot help in or requiring me to triple check and review work in a system I was never trained in .. ( or has anything to do with my job duties)... Even had (2) unknown managers ask, Why, I am being held responsible or even in the discussion - as I followed procedure. The errors are not in my department or duties.

Don't want to come across argumentative or defensive, but when is enough enough ? ( Ironically I was just given a promotion and the increase of activity & mindless attitude has risen significantly) How can I approach the expressing the errors are NOT in my domain, without sounding petty or creating tension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 04:37 AM

6,599 posts, read 11,339,839 times
Have you discussed this with your actual manager?

Old 03-31-2017, 05:45 AM

9,493 posts, read 8,477,869 times
I would document it all and ensure you have a sit down with your current manager to discuss these issues. I know everyone's knee jerk reaction is to run to HR to complain; however, that will get you nowhere fast. Sometimes the fact that you have an incompetent manager will forever mean you're stuck dealing with his/her flaws. It's the unfortunate nature of Corporate America.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:20 AM

1,333 posts, read 887,226 times
What I would do is note a few examples of things you believe to be outside of your position or inappropriately tasked to you and contact your actual manager. Ask for clarification on your duties and responsibilities while citing examples of things you think may be outside of your job description. If these tasks that you're being given hinder your ability to perform your role to the best of your ability, bring that up too.

Hopefully your manager can give you a satisfactory answer

Old 04-01-2017, 02:16 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,604,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
everyone's knee jerk reaction is to run to HR to complain; however, that will get you nowhere fast.
While going to HR might not result in something you want right away, it's proof that you go through the proper steps. For every visit to HR, be smart and record every date/time/person/topic. I think if you bug HR enough times they'll try to mediate just to get you out of their hair(?just guessing?)

Old 04-01-2017, 09:08 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,679,535 times
How about just saying, "Look, I've had it with you. I don't report to you, I'm not jumping through your hoops any more. When you ask for my help, I will tell you what help I can provide. If you don't like it, you can go to my manager and try to convince him that my job description is wrong. From now on, every problem you try to pin on me is being sent directly to my manager and your boss. We'll see how much longer it goes on for."

If the response to this is, "But, I can't do that! Office politics means I'll be fired!", then your course of action should be brilliantly crystalline to you. And yes, I've done this before... someone who was allocated some of my time for help decided they were my lord and master. They were wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment