Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 09:02 AM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,723 times

Advertisements

This was a topic on Good Morning America this Morning!
They were also, discussing the different excuses people come up with when calling in sick, (when their not) .Example: I lost my I-pod and spent all night looking for it and didn't get enough sleep! I have to clarify this was more of a funny segment than a serious one.

What excuses have you came up with?

What do you think about co-workers or your employees coming to work sick?

Last edited by DBNN; 12-04-2006 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 09:08 AM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post
This was a topic on Good Morning America this Morning!
They were also, discussing the different excuses people come up with when calling in sick, (when their not) .Example: I lost my I-pod and spent all night looking for it and didn't get enough sleep!

What excuses have you came up with?

What is worse?
1) Stealing work time by being on the "INTERNET" at work?
2) Stealing office supplies?
3) Gossip

What do you think about coming to work sick?
People should not feel like they have to go work when their are sick because they are afraid of losing their job. I know what that is like, I am sick a lot and when I worked I had bosses that were mean when I called in, some were understanding but not many.
I don't think you're stealing work time if it's your break time or lunch time.
Stealing is NEVER ok even if it is just office supplies.
Gossip is NEVER ok, it can ruin lives.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:32 AM

8,957 posts, read 20,385,036 times
If I'm fairly sick, I will take the day off and call in to my Supervisor. He really isn't to happy with people taking off sick, we have a fairly small department, but I DON'T CARE! If I'm sick, I'm sick! He very rarely takes any days off from work for anything......sickness or vacation. He told me once, "I think vacations are a waste of money!". "To each their own" I said to myself. It really bothers me (inside my mind) when someone comes to work coughing like mad with a cold.
I have a lot of "down time" where I work, so going on the Internet is one way to "waste some time". Shoot, I have even worked on my resume' at my desk and printed out some copies of it on our printer. I just walk out to the printer quickly and get the copies off.
Stealing office supplies: Well, if I need a "sticky note" pad at home (or a pen/Magic Marker...whatever, and have an extra one in my desk, I'll take one home with me. To me it's not stealing.
Gossip: Naw, I don't "gossip", only unless there is something "real juicy" at work to talk about . Hey, I'm outgoing and fairly "mouthy"......what would you expect?????

Old 12-04-2006, 10:57 AM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,723 times
My husband only misses about one day a year.. He wasn't sick but just needed a day off . We went to a restaurant for breakfast. We just sat down when his bosses best friend sat down at the booth behind us. Talk about a waste of money. He was so nervous he couldn't even eat. Then came the conversation. The bosses friend said to my husband "Hey******Are you off today?
Lesson learned.....When you live in a small town, Do not call in sick and go out for breakfast....... If you do, drive to the next town.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:19 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,659,259 times
We had a woman call in sick and the next thing we know she has broken her foot on that very same day 110 miles away (where daughter lives) in a shopping mall! There was no way we would not find out about it as she had to stay at her daughter's house for several days and also to make several trips down there to the doctor for checkups when she returned home! She was not fired but it's a standing joke at work now whenever someone IS sick not to be out shopping.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:44 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,990,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
If I'm fairly sick, I will take the day off and call in to my Supervisor. He really isn't to happy with people taking off sick, we have a fairly small department, but I DON'T CARE! If I'm sick, I'm sick! He very rarely takes any days off from work for anything......sickness or vacation. He told me once, "I think vacations are a waste of money!". "To each their own" I said to myself. It really bothers me (inside my mind) when someone comes to work coughing like mad with a cold.
I have a lot of "down time" where I work, so going on the Internet is one way to "waste some time". Shoot, I have even worked on my resume' at my desk and printed out some copies of it on our printer. I just walk out to the printer quickly and get the copies off.
Stealing office supplies: Well, if I need a "sticky note" pad at home (or a pen/Magic Marker...whatever, and have an extra one in my desk, I'll take one home with me. To me it's not stealing.
Gossip: Naw, I don't "gossip", only unless there is something "real juicy" at work to talk about . Hey, I'm outgoing and fairly "mouthy"......what would you expect?????
I think we all end up with items from work without even thinking about it, especially pens or small items which in the course of a busy day we put unconsciously in our pockets, etc. But, to take things from work knowingly is stealing. Stealing isn't defined as not being being below a certain value or size, stealing is taking what isn't yours. I know that I'd see pens at home that weren't mine, but were from my workplace which had gotten rides home in my clothing, and I'd periodically gather them up and bring them back to work. If I wanted to use something privately that was from work, I asked for permission, and occasionally I needed to print something out that was personal too, I asked my boss for permission knowing he'd say yes, willing to accept a "no", but keeping my conscience clear regardless. In my work environment, we used to have open access to supplies like legal pads, pens, markers, staples, staplers, etc...but then there was so much stealing that corporate put locks on the cupboard doors and to get supplies, even for managers, we had to have an executive secretary unlock the cabinets and document what we were given. That sucked and it was annoying, but it came to that because people were actively stealing supplies and it adds up. If you need supplies, go to Office Depot and buy them.
As far as being fired for being sick, that's not why people get fired. They get fired for consistent patterns of absences, absences being for whatever reason. All of us have worked with people who abuse attendance policies. Of course people shouldn't be at work if they're coughing and spewing clouds of germ laden sneezes, clearly in the grips of the flu or a cold, but, if that person has maintained a good attendance record prior to being sick and not abused it, it shouldn't be a problem. For the people who call in sick when they're not (lady who broke foot 100 miles away while shopping for instance after having called in sick) and it's a pattern of absences, and then getting sick adds to an already abysmal record...why should he or she be surprised if being fired is the next step? There's usually a system in place for handling excessive tardies/absences and if one abuses it, well, that's his or her fault if it comes back to bite them later. Excessive absenteeism is the single biggest reason for being fired and the policies are usually clearly explained when someone is hired. If there's a serious illness that will keep one out, or a family issue arises that will necessitate absences, that's what FMLA is for and it should be used if needed. FMLA cannot be counted against someone and is verified by a doctor.
This topic gets people ticked off really quick and I've been through it on another thread, usually with the arguments that their bosses or managers are so incompetent and bad that they're even lucky that the person even works there, so "don't you DARE call me on my attendance" excuses. But that's not responsible or even legitimate. If someone is working somewhere that treats its employees so badly that even legitimate absences cause havoc and harassment then it's time to walk.

Last edited by MoMark; 12-04-2006 at 12:01 PM..

Old 12-04-2006, 12:15 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,335,304 times
I so agree with everything you said, MoMark. I'd also like to add that I've often been in the position of having to cover when someone is absent. Legit reason, I don't mind at all. Excessive pattern, I start to get annoyed. Some people don't realize the extra burden on other employees when they miss a lot of work.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:23 PM

8,957 posts, read 20,385,036 times
Gee, why am I looking VERY forward to retirement.........
So I don't have to listen to a Manager/Supervisor say, "I'm right and that's it!"
So I don't have to call in sick anymore. Weither I'm sick or not, I can do what I want to! Go fishing, watch Opray or Dr. Phil or whatever I want to do.
So, I will no longer hear, "I have to terminate you", "Sorry, I have to lay you off"
This "working class" thing can be pretty crappy at times!!!

Old 12-04-2006, 01:05 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,653,635 times
If you live in a "right to work state" you can be fired, just because. Yes I think calling in sick could apply.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:12 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,119,212 times
I'm a fan of "personal days" instead of "sick days". That way no one has to lie or "steal time" from the employer. Good employers realize that employees are humans and repsect that everyone has a life outside of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment