Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 08:54 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,224 times

Advertisements

At the end of the day, we only live once and the only thing we are entrusted with is our bodies.
Working endlessly only increases stress, leads to reduced sleep hours, etc. Thus, leading to a an unhealthy and overweight population.

Go to any white collar office in American and you will see the consequences of long hours, poor nutrition, high stress, and lack of exercise in peoples' waist size.

I work in one of those corporate jobs where I work 60+ hours a week. And while the salary is phenomenal, it's just no worth it at the end of the day. This is why I'll be quitting the rat race at the end of the month.

PS:
Kelly Starret has some good insights on health and fitness.
[soundcloud=400]184952361[/soundcloud]
1. Get your nutrition/hydration right
2. Get enough sleep (you are not a special snowflake)
3. Start thinking about exercise as an intellectual exercise. Think about exercise as teaching yourself to exist as a skilled human
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 09:22 PM

I interviewed the other day at a white collar job and spoke with the hiring manager.
He mentioned that on two or three times a week, you can expect to get an email at 7 or 8pm requesting some data analysis and would be expected to get it done by the next day. He then went on to disparage people who expected to leave work every day and go to the yoga studio or gym at 6pm.

Needless to say, I ended up removing myself from consideration for that job.

Work-life balance is very important for physical and emotional well being. The science is 100% clear on that, and it's absurd when companies or managers expect their staff to work endlessly.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:15 AM

l

Old 08-03-2018, 06:54 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
At the end of the day, we only live once and the only thing we are entrusted with is our bodies.
Working endlessly only increases stress, leads to reduced sleep hours, etc. Thus, leading to a an unhealthy and overweight population.

Go to any white collar office in American and you will see the consequences of long hours, poor nutrition, high stress, and lack of exercise in peoples' waist size.

I work in one of those corporate jobs where I work 60+ hours a week. And while the salary is phenomenal, it's just no worth it at the end of the day. This is why I'll be quitting the rat race at the end of the month.

PS:
Kelly Starret has some good insights on health and fitness.
[soundcloud=400]184952361[/soundcloud]
1. Get your nutrition/hydration right
2. Get enough sleep (you are not a special snowflake)
3. Start thinking about exercise as an intellectual exercise. Think about exercise as teaching yourself to exist as a skilled human
Unfortunately in order to thrive in a vulture capitalist society those born without a silver spoon must endure such things due to cost of living issues. IF you only worked at home depot 20 hours a week you would be homeless (unless you have some kind of rich spouse or live with rich parents or insert what ever fortunate circumstance here).

I dont get enough excersize because I am in a pedestrian job and have to spend every waking min finding a job that pays a better hourly rate so I can work less hours, how ever those jobs are MUCH more rare. If I wanted to actually retire early I would have to get another 6 figure engineering job and it seems those are in short supply these days for my skill sets.

Had I had another 2-3 years at my corporate job before being forced out i would have been in your situation. But now its not impossible that I will die of heart failure before I can pull myself out of this pile of crap that is the USA.

Our house is what is keeping us broke and its a nice house we got at a modest price so selling does not make sense (unless its to move for a VERY good job) becasue we would be paying almost as much for rent with some crappy vulture land lord in some pseudo dilapidated complex.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:31 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
I interviewed the other day at a white collar job and spoke with the hiring manager.
He mentioned that on two or three times a week, you can expect to get an email at 7 or 8pm requesting some data analysis and would be expected to get it done by the next day. He then went on to disparage people who expected to leave work every day and go to the yoga studio or gym at 6pm.

Needless to say, I ended up removing myself from consideration for that job.

Work-life balance is very important for physical and emotional well being. The science is 100% clear on that, and it's absurd when companies or managers expect their staff to work endlessly.
I really agree with you there. Sometimes, it's not even about the number of hours worked, it's the actual stress created. The last two years, my company was struggling, after a record 2015 that was really encouraging and gave us a lot of hope for the future. We hired another employee to help with our expected growth and because 2015 put a lot of stress on the few of us in the company, so we figured we'd be proactive and get a part-time project coordinator.

Much of the time with my company, but especially the two years prior to this one, it was like there is no true "off time" as a company owner. My contractors are videographers and VO artists and motion graphics people, already a fiercely independent bunch who work odd hours and gravitate to these types of jobs for that reason. The videographers often work long days, and by the time they get around to e-mailing me questions, it could be 9 p.m. or it could be even midnight, I had that happen a few times, and thankfully I'm a night owl so I could respond. But it meant I could never just "clock out" or stop focusing on work because work stuff came in all of the time. The other videographers are, funny enough, just like me, and they prefer to stay up late it seems despite filming usually being an early thing. So it's very common to get late e-mails *even if they didn't work that day* because that's just how they are. I don't blame them, but when you're sending me these e-mails you should have sent days ago, and need a response right away, yeah, it's pretty annoying.

There's at least something to be said for work that has a defined time period and you can mentally check out at X time, but sometimes running a company it feels like you're never mentally free to focus on anything else. That's why I kind of checked out this year, considered closing the company, but went into the year with a "wait and see" approach. I basically haven't bothered to be involved in the day-to-day much at all anymore, and of course, in just the screwy way that life seems to go, we had a record first half of the year. I guess my hard work was inversely proportional to the results :P I have no real explanation there, sometimes it's just the way our business goes.

As for people messing around at work, this is a common theme I believe for people who are less than vital to the operation of a business but whose tasks do contribute still. That project coordinator, we gave her 16 hours of work per week, sometimes she "needed more," but when I eliminated her position last year, I took over her duties for the final 4-5 months of the year. It was obvious to me I was paying her for nothing because I'm not joking when I say that taking over her job only took me about 3-4 hours a week. I kept thinking, "Alright, so... my sales lady must be picking up the slack, I guess, on some of her other tasks?" We talked about it, and really, no, I was doing all of her tasks. She supposedly was working on some client-marketing initiatives but she never really made all that much progress. We're talking about asks like e-mailing a videographer schedules, formatting the schedules, e-mailing video links to the client, soliciting feedback from them, keeping on top of the overall filming schedule, etc. She was a very nice young lady, but she made so many careless mistakes that more often than not we spend more time correcting her mistakes than I spent actually doing her job. It was a nice idea that hiring that position would make my life easier, but honestly I would have rather paid twice the hourly rate and hired someone for just 8 hours a week. I could have probably found a very intelligent college kid who is bogged down with studies but certainly could find the 8 hours to do the work, and he'd be making a great hourly wage. There was a prime example of how it's not about the number of hours, it's just getting the work done, and it takes some people forever to do basic work or they're just messing around collecting a paycheck.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:41 PM

One thing that shouldn't be ignored is the large body of scientific and medical literature on physical and mental well being. Not to disparage anyone, but people who are workaholics have a very poor lifestyle if they are not taking mental breaks, getting adaquete rest, etc. The science is 100% clear on what humans need for optimal performance. But for some reason, everyone thinks they are a little snowflake and that biological laws don't apply to them.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:43 AM

Quote:
One thing that shouldn't be ignored is the large body of scientific and medical literature on physical and mental well being. Not to disparage anyone, but people who are workaholics have a very poor lifestyle if they are not taking mental breaks, getting adaquete rest, etc. The science is 100% clear on what humans need for optimal performance. But for some reason, everyone thinks they are a little snowflake and that biological laws don't apply to them.
They dont think that, they know it applies, they are hoping they can break out of the race before it kills them. there is a BIG gap between pedestrian low wage crap schedule jobs and professional jobs that actually pay you enough to put away large sums of money. You need that big money job if your going to even attempt to punch out. That means doing things like working and going to school, get laid off, go to school again etc until you have enough you can live off the stock earnings or 6 plex or what ever asset you managed to scrape together.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:47 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I just do it. Working 2 part time jobs makes no sense. Fortunately I dont have to work much overtime as I have plenty of cash laying around...in stocks.

Sometimes you gotta do things you dont like...that's life.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I just do it. Working 2 part time jobs makes no sense. Fortunately I dont have to work much overtime as I have plenty of cash laying around...in stocks.

Sometimes you gotta do things you dont like...that's life.
Yep, then the million dollar question becomes do you set up a do not resuscitate order or not .....

Sometimes is one thing, years and years of doing something you dont want to do because of our system is another thing.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:45 AM

80 posts, read 50,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Unfortunately in order to thrive in a vulture capitalist society those born without a silver spoon must endure such things due to cost of living issues. IF you only worked at home depot 20 hours a week you would be homeless (unless you have some kind of rich spouse or live with rich parents or insert what ever fortunate circumstance here).

I dont get enough excersize because I am in a pedestrian job and have to spend every waking min finding a job that pays a better hourly rate so I can work less hours, how ever those jobs are MUCH more rare. If I wanted to actually retire early I would have to get another 6 figure engineering job and it seems those are in short supply these days for my skill sets.

Had I had another 2-3 years at my corporate job before being forced out i would have been in your situation. But now its not impossible that I will die of heart failure before I can pull myself out of this pile of crap that is the USA.

Our house is what is keeping us broke and its a nice house we got at a modest price so selling does not make sense (unless its to move for a VERY good job) becasue we would be paying almost as much for rent with some crappy vulture land lord in some pseudo dilapidated complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment