Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 03:54 PM

23 posts, read 14,090 times

Advertisements

What else can I say?

"No problem" sounds kind of flippant.

"You're welcome" is too formal.

I just say "Sure!" in a friendly tone. I've never gotten flack for it. But do you think I should use a different word?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 2,088 times
Sure! ��

Old 04-27-2017, 05:57 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,889,245 times
I find "thank you" most effective.

Your "Sure!" wouldn't bother me, but take a look at another recent workplace thread and you'll see it doesn't sit well with some.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:04 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,714,341 times
Hmm, sounds just like another thread...

New boss did not like that I used the word "sure"..

Old 04-27-2017, 06:22 PM

44,649 posts, read 61,691,885 times
Business Etiquette: The Correct Way to Respond to a Verbal ‘Thank You’

Two simple words, “no problem,” in response to a “thank you,” may be chipping away at your customers’ goodwill. The service person who replies with this response almost certainly means to acknowledge the “thank you” and is essentially saying “you’re welcome.”

Still, many customers are offended. Some wonder why there would be a problem if the appreciated task is simply part of the employee’s job? The phrase turns the focus back to the employee, implying the client’s need could potentially be a hassle or inconvenience. “No problem”, or worse, “no worries,” can make customers feel as though their gesture of appreciation was taken as an apology for bothering the service person. Some believe the response says the employee views the service as a chore that is taking them out of their way. In addition, others assess the phrase as a careless use of two negative words.

This saying can be interpreted as a flip response that is too informal for use in a business transaction. Some other too-casual culprits include: “sure,” “uh huh,” and “don’t mention it.”
Business Etiquette: The Correct Way to Respond to a Verbal 'Thank You' | The Huffington Post

Old 04-27-2017, 09:23 PM

897 posts, read 1,181,661 times
I say no problem, sure, anytime, you're welcome... I say it all. I'm the office go-to person and thankfully my office doesn't give a f* about what I say when responding to a thank you, because I say it all sincerely and with a smile.

Is this what it's come to in the working world now? Good god.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:59 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,357,164 times
our customer service training at work (and i work in direct patient care) emphasizes "you're welcome" and no other phrase is acceptable in response to "thank you"--whether from staff, patients or guests. "no problem" hints that the thanking person actually may have bothered the other who helped/gave something.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:04 PM

676 posts, read 727,084 times
No problem is my go to

Old 04-29-2017, 12:08 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,786,137 times
When you say no problem what you are saying in effect is " it's a problem but not a really big one so I will say no problem."

I say you're welcome usually. If someone says thank you but I didn't really expect it or do anything to be thanked for I will sometimes say sure.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:49 AM

146 posts, read 100,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_Dc_dc_dc View Post
What else can I say?

"No problem" sounds kind of flippant.

"You're welcome" is too formal.

I just say "Sure!" in a friendly tone. I've never gotten flack for it. But do you think I should use a different word?
You should not say this as it is indirect and it's meaning is questionable. Be direct in your answers - "your welcome" is appropriate. I've had employees under me who said "sure". That wasn't the reason but it was a matter of time before they were fired and saying "sure" is a microcosm of your overall character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment