Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 07:12 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
As an employer who's interviewed hundreds of people, I can guarantee you that the approach you mention above will all but ensure you do not get the position.

How about "I wanted to pursue a position with a company where I feel my business goals could potentially lead to a greater share of responsibilities, and help promote growth at a rate more in line with my own personal goals."

Not only will that $hit impress them, it'll confuse them and make them think they have to hire you, yet they won't know why.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go prepare for some interviews I'm conducting tomorrow.

SS
Genuine question.... as an interviewer, don't these responses sound like they're canned, or just BS to deflect you away from any problems? Are these such responses truly any better? Yes, there are some clearly ridiculous ones like "they didn't like it when I was drunk on the job", but I'm just not seeing how covering up a red or yellow flag with a different type of "fib" is any better sounding.

AFAIK, some employers aren't idiots. They know you didn't get along with previous organizations. I'd be so bold to say they probably were there themselves at some point. However, if they hire you, it's because they really don't care if you didn't get along with your previous teammates. You have the right skill sets, you demonstrated as such during the interview, your salary requirements are something they can pay, and you can start right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 05:29 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,020 times
Leave the 'drama' behind in the bedroom, as you check yourself in the mirror one last time, before grabbing the keys to head out to the interview.

The 'Why did'ja leave your last job' question is really a bear-trap (purposely set) to see if you're ignorant enough to step into it.

Make no mistake about it, although the interviewer's job is to 'pick your brain'...the bottom line is really to find out whether or not you have what it takes to do what they are thinking of paying you for, with as little 'impact' on your surrounding-environment/co-workers as possible.

The trick therefore is to emulate the closest-approximation of an 'enthusiastic Mona-Lisa' as you can, without seeming like Dr. Hannibal Lector 30 mins-deep into having taken a healthy-dose of Zzquil.

Avoid ANY caffeine, play some annoying music in the car on the way in. Works for me everytime.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:55 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
I had an interviewer badmouth my current employer once and I just said I found the people to be great to work with and so caring but there was a lack of upward mobility and that I was looking for a faster paced work environment. Worked and I landed the job!

Old 05-04-2017, 06:18 AM

676 posts, read 725,848 times
Just tell them when the thought of suicide becomes a better option than going in to work, its time to move on. Thats gold right there

Old 05-04-2017, 06:32 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I left a former employer mainly due to a nasty, fingerpointing corporate culture. We were also given a timeline upon hire of promotion, and that timeline was not met for me or any of the other staff at the time. I spun it as advancement, which was partly true, but not the primary reason I left employer #1.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:26 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue17 View Post
I have an interview on Thursday for a job that I would really love to be offered. After reading the Glassdoor reviews, it's very likely that they're going to ask the old "Why did you leave your last employer?"

Well, I left because my manager and the other girls in the office were a nightmare and made my life miserable every day for six months.

Obviously I'm not going to say that in the interview, but I'm wondering if I should just say it "wasn't a good culture fit" or something? However, if they asked for reasoning, I would be stuck. I'm actually nervous about being asked that because I was only at this job six months and they may think that I didn't give it enough time, that I'm too flaky, etc.

Your opinions or experiences?
If they are having you come in for an interview, they don't think that at all. Don't ever use the "not a good fit" thing, that's what managers and HR people say to justify firing someone. Talk about the future, of what you are looking for. What is great about this prospective employer and the job? Talk about you were looking for what they have to offer. Leave it at that. Have one sentence to say about it, and then stop talking. The more you talk about it, shows you have something to hide or feel uncomfortable with how things were at the last job. Just don't go there, it won't help you. Tell then you were looking for [insert something positive] that this new job has that you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment