Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 01:48 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Though the unemployment rate has dropped considerably over the past several years, a good number of Americans are still out of work. Some of them are in economically ravaged areas — places where the economy simply never recovered after the Great Recession. Or even retire. Few of us, however, would think that something like bullying would be driving people from the workforce.

Bullying and 4 Other Reasons Americans Are Leaving the Workforce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 03:02 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,401 times
Hey bullying is as good as any reason when one is in denial about why they simply cannot achieve what they think they are worth.

In a couple of years when bullying is not a hip word anymore, some other excuse will fill it's place.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:22 PM

901 posts, read 747,573 times
Nowadays, simply being told by a superior to do ones job is seen as bullying.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:30 PM

36 posts, read 30,742 times
People want to have their best buddies at work.
Superiors are no different
The good ole boys network will bully until you quit your job
might was well quit versus getting fired
Then move on to a healthier workplace

Old 05-14-2017, 03:47 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Kind of interesting reading the list.

1. Bullying (Obviously some think it's not so violent, but a quick read shows what it is and how defined) (Bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively dominate others)

2. Retirement..Well duh. Not only are they leaving work, they pretty much aren't planning on coming back either. But that's a byproduct of working and investing/saving. After all, we're not planning to die at our jobs are we?

3. School (Well, some can afford FT school, some can't) But that "Reason" is but temporary as they'll be getting a better job later.

4. Disability and Unemployment...I understand the first half, but the people who are on unemployment have only left the workforce for a "Temporary" time and seek to re-enter it. That's not the REASON they left the job, only the result of leaving it.

5. Video Games. Yeah I really don't understand that....I used to play the old Nintendo games, but after they became "Slasher" style games I lost interest.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:51 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
People leave the workplace because of serious injury and inability to do old job again.

Because of no room to move

Because of politics

Bullying and harrasment as well.

Many people would just quit, instead of making an issue of it, but why should they. Bullys need to be challenged and dropped on their butts.when you have a manipulator get away with it, they only do it more.

I know of a manager who would only keep his hand picked hires, and so away with those that are not part of the circle of friends/family. He would do whatever it takes to keep the bad apples in his circle, and whatever it takes to rid himself of solid workers outside the circle.

It is sad that people just cant get a fair shake.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:26 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
The number one reason that people quit jobs is the boss. Bad management will chase away employees faster than low pay or lack of advancement opportunities.

Of course low pay, not being recognized, and no chances for promotion can help motivate employees to put their resume on Monster or Indeed.

Bullying is an issue in the workplace and I worked at a company where I was involved in investigating a group within a department for "mobbing" behavior against people who were not in their in-group. The company did have an anti-bullying policy and it was found they had violated it. They were all given the "last chance warning" meaning that if there were further incidents then they would be sacked. Three of them apologized, then apologized on their own to the people they had mobbed--and we had no more issues with their behavior at work. Unfortunately, the other three of them kept up with the behavior and ended up fired over it.

I generally feel horrible when I let someone go because they have a family to feed and of course they have bills, right? I'm not a monster. Probably awful to say this but I didn't feel quite as bad when I let the bullies go.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:21 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Though the unemployment rate has dropped considerably over the past several years, a good number of Americans are still out of work. Some of them are in economically ravaged areas — places where the economy simply never recovered after the Great Recession. Or even retire. Few of us, however, would think that something like bullying would be driving people from the workforce.

Bullying and 4 Other Reasons Americans Are Leaving the Workforce
I don't even need to read the article to know its bunk.
Unemployment rates are calculated by the new sign-ons for benefits, many people have given up and taken early retirement. Thats what I did.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:20 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Bullying is an issue in the workplace and I worked at a company where I was involved in investigating a group within a department for "mobbing" behavior against people who were not in their in-group. The company did have an anti-bullying policy and it was found they had violated it. They were all given the "last chance warning" meaning that if there were further incidents then they would be sacked. Three of them apologized, then apologized on their own to the people they had mobbed--and we had no more issues with their behavior at work. Unfortunately, the other three of them kept up with the behavior and ended up fired over it.
How did you all become aware about the mobbing behavior?

Old 05-15-2017, 06:31 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
The number one reason that people quit jobs is the boss. Bad management will chase away employees faster than low pay or lack of advancement opportunities.

Of course low pay, not being recognized, and no chances for promotion can help motivate employees to put their resume on Monster or Indeed.

I generally feel horrible when I let someone go because they have a family to feed and of course they have bills, right? I'm not a monster. Probably awful to say this but I didn't feel quite as bad when I let the bullies go.
The number one reason that people quit is that they fundamentally misunderstand why they were hired in first place. No business hires because it wants to, it hires because it needs to. It has a problem that it needs solving, and it hires a person to solve that problem. The business doesn't pay that same person to pontificate, moralize and disrupt things, it pays that person to solve the problem, make the company money, and in the process that very same person gets paid from the proceeds of the profit that person created when he/she solved the very same problem he/she was hired to begin with.

It's no different than when a business hires another business. So, the sooner the adults in the workplace understand this dynamic, the sooner their life gets better, and hopefully we can be spared more of these childish threads and apologists that do nothing to actually solve the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment