Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 12:04 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing about retail stores and malls closing left and right. I know that our own mall lost some of its big stores like JC Penny.

Is retail dying out fully or just shrinking? (i.e. it will stabilize later though many will close down in the meantime).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 12:08 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Internet has crushed them all. Most people shop via internet.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:24 PM

432 posts, read 343,006 times
Technology is the big reason.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:50 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
blame china as well, they shop more so the stores open up there

Old 05-15-2017, 12:53 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Internet has crushed them all. Most people shop via internet.
Yep, 8% of all retail sales were internet based in 2016. Absolutely crushing.

Retail is changing, and part of that is due to the internet but more so because of overexpansion which is now contracting. Plus, some companies, Sears being one, haven't adapted to changing tastes.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:13 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I keep hearing about retail stores and malls closing left and right. I know that our own mall lost some of its big stores like JC Penny.

Is retail dying out fully or just shrinking? (i.e. it will stabilize later though many will close down in the meantime).
Not dying out at all, people are still buying things in record amounts. Retail is changing and companies are either changing with it, or closing. No worries new ones will open to take their place.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:22 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
This is probably relevant...

Amazon worth almost twice as much as Walmart - Apr. 4, 2017

The world's largest bricks and mortar retailer is only half as big as the world's biggest online retailer. The biggest fish in the pond usually swallows or kills off the smaller fish.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:00 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
This is probably relevant...

Amazon worth almost twice as much as Walmart - Apr. 4, 2017

The world's largest bricks and mortar retailer is only half as big as the world's biggest online retailer. The biggest fish in the pond usually swallows or kills off the smaller fish.
Although Walmart acquired Jet.com. Walmart and Jet both moved to doing free shipping on orders $35 and up without signing up for any membership. I believe Amazon lowered their dollar threshold for free shipping but still require Prime for free 2 day shipping and Prime keeps going up in price. Whenever I order from Jet I usually have items in 2 days with their free shipping, when I order from Amazon with free standard shipping it usually takes a week at least which they have to do to add value to Prime.

Jet gives volume discounts where they lower prices in your cart the more you buy and they always have 10-15% off codes. Walmart is now doing pick up discount where you order on line and pick up in store and get discounted prices. At this point Amazon and Walmart/Jet are basically marketplaces like Ebay, Alibaba as well as many other web retailers like Newegg. Most of the things you buy are being fulfilled by third parties and you are getting things from the same sellers whether you shop at Amazon or Walmart now. So basically it comes down to who has the best deal at the moment. But either way it's definitely putting an end to most smaller businesses because they'll never be able to afford to offer same prices as Walmart or Amazon so it's impossible to compete.

And just wait for the automated Amazon stores to open which won't require any humans to work there. They have your info when you walk in, you fill your cart and walk out and everything automatically gets charged to your account so no need for cashiers, check out lines etc. The future!

Old 05-15-2017, 02:03 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
I think it would be foolish to bank on a career as a retail worker.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:13 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
here: Warren Buffett just confirmed the death of retail as we know it - Business Insider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment