Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 04:54 PM

6,117 posts, read 4,609,858 times

Advertisements

Even more fun are the icebreakers where you have to go around the room and each person is asked to BS about something many have no knowledge of or interest in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 06:26 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Even more fun are the icebreakers where you have to go around the room and each person is asked to BS about something many have no knowledge of or interest in!
LOL!! we call that our Monday morning meetings!

Reflecting on a speech class in senior year...It was common for the teacher to randomly change course and call on someone to give a 30 second spiel on a topic. Sometimes It was downright hilarious!

Being on the spot, requires attentiveness to the audience and the quick recovery from follower to leader.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:36 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
pick out the prettiest woman in the room and picture her naked...

Old 05-18-2017, 08:46 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
I took public speaking my junior year in high school. I had to write a report on some subject, for both American History, and for Public Speaking. I talked my two teachers into letting me submit the report both places as it would be long with diagrams and extensive. It was how the Atomic Bomb works. I knew nothing about the subject, and relied on sources like Popular Mechanic Magazine and some others for my sources.

It ended up being 15 pages long. I gave the history teacher the carbon copy, and the original for public speaking. I was told it was so good, I was to a week later to speak for the entire class, and educate the class. When I got to the class, my Chemistry Teacher was there to hear it. He taught Chemistry, Biology, and general science courses. A great guy, and I got along with him real well.

I gave my speech diagramming on the black board, and a real snow job. Speaking to groups never bothered me. I knew if I spoke like I knew what I was doing, and really snowed the students and my teacher. When we were done, the Chemistry Teacher was asked, and he told them I did a brilliant job of explaining things. Then he asked me to walk to my next class with him which was Chemistry. As soon as we got out of the building, he told me, "If you ever try to pull a snow job like that in my class I will flunk you for the entire year". Trying to get out of it, I asked him how he knew how the bomb worked, and he dropped the bomb shell. He was a Major in the army and had spent his tour of duty working at the Manhattan Project where they developed the bomb. Here I realized I was trying to snow the one man in the county that knew how the bomb worked. As soon as the Korean War started he was called back into the Army doing the same type of work. He had so much time in by the end of the War and they gave him his first star as a General and stayed till he retired as a 2 Star.

He taught me one thing, if you are going to make a speech, only speak on a subject you really know and understand, or there will be someone in the audience that can call you out and make a fool out of you. It was something I never forgot and I have spoken to over 2,000 people a few times, and that one lesson was a valuable thing to learn.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:39 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
why is it so hard to speak in front of a group? people overshare their lives on facebook as is, it isn't like people are shy...

Old 05-18-2017, 09:44 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
why is it so hard to speak in front of a group? people overshare their lives on facebook as is, it isn't like people are shy...
I don't share my life on facebook and it's two totally different things. It's natural to have a fear of public speaking i have a huge fear i probably would barf right after. I honestly think people who have absolutely no fear whatsoever speaking in front of large crowds have some sortof mental disorder because it's natural to have fear and you have none? hmmm

Lastly i don't work in the corporate world so i don't have to worry about that.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:00 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I don't share my life on facebook and it's two totally different things. It's natural to have a fear of public speaking i have a huge fear i probably would barf right after. I honestly think people who have absolutely no fear whatsoever speaking in front of large crowds have some sortof mental disorder because it's natural to have fear and you have none? hmmm

Lastly i don't work in the corporate world so i don't have to worry about that.
who cares about fear, you gotta do what you gotta do... man up and get it done

they don't care if you are a polished speaker or not, they know it isn't your job to be a public speaker

stumble, get flustered, stutter, it doesn't matter, as long as you do it with confidence, everyone will overlook the rest of it

if you can't speak with confidence about yourself, you have low self esteem

Old 05-19-2017, 05:18 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley17 View Post
Good point, but as a teacher your just dealing with children all day, and you grow into the position because you're doing it all day everyday.
As a teacher you also get up and speakto the most critical audience of them all.....the parents. You do not just speak in front of kids all day. You also speak in front of other well educated people on a regular basis. County, regional,and state teacher's meetings had me up in front of large numbers of fellow teachers, motivating them to try new things, telling them how I did things in my classroom, and presenting new concepts.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:58 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
There's one of your problems with speaking.

90% of the people there don't give a monkey's wotsit about how you perform.
Of the 10% that judge, they already judge you for your hair, what you're wearing, how much you weigh or something else anyway - who cares.

The point of the exercise, is to introduce you. That's what happened. You're good.
Pretty much this. And of out of those 90%, 55% probably weren't even paying attention.
And no matter how bad you think you did - unless something you said resonated with them, most probably forgot your intro by the time the next person started.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:10 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley17 View Post
I started with a new company a few months ago and we had our quartely meeting today with about 60 people in a room with the owner and president in the front row. Well they randomly wanted the new hired to go up and introduce themselves. I was like "oh ****." I had a few minutes to prepare and used to shake doing speeches. And with the whole company watching for me to screw up. What made it worse is the people in front of me seemed great. Well I'm not sure how I did. I talked about how great the people and culture was and talked about my background. I tend to think I do worse in speeches than I really do. Can anyone relate to this situation or have their company do something similar?
Was it an actual speech to address everyone or mingling around the room saying hello individually?

Either way it's just to say hello and show you're confident so I'm sure you're fine mate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment