Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 03:08 AM

214 posts, read 330,158 times

Advertisements

Start a business or try buying and selling to make large profits while working a side job. It isn't as simple as just getting hired for a job that pays that much. It will take time unless you're very fortunate. I would say a better way (without going to school for 3/4 years and then starting on a basic salary) would be to work 16+ hours a day 5-6 or even 7 days a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 05:56 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I wouldn't judge yourself based on people who brag to you about how they've done (granted I tend to brag from time to time) ... they've done well because they have parents who pushed them and have social connections. Networking is ultimately the most important part in creating wealth unless you just have a novel idea and come up with something people want, like those youtubers like jacksepticeye do.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:10 AM

811 posts, read 622,545 times
OP:

"I feel so lost and confused. I don't have loving parents. I wish I was given the opportunities these men had but I know its counterproductive to feel sorry for myself. I'm currently enrolled in college but recently got fired from my retail job. Honestly I can't see myself working retail for another year, let alone a month. I would rather dance or do something that earns me more for my time."

Douchebaggery.

Please go into detail about how your parents don't love you. (Assuming they kicked you out of the house when you were 10 years old and you've been on your own ever since?)

Entitlement.

Sticking your nose in other people's bags is foolish and no one shows up to Pity Parties... except on city-data of course.

Lazy/Arrogant.

You got fired from retail. That's difficult unless someone is a rebellious ass. Or a thief.

At least you have dancing going for you. Seems like you've answered your own question. I just hope you're a girl.

Get real sister; finish your education with a practical degree, get a job, and work hard. Reward will come.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:28 AM

185 posts, read 422,842 times
^^^^^^thank you. My thoughts exactly. Growing up "poor-ish" in a wealthy town, it was hard to watch all of the networking, opportunities, and $$ flying right past me for kids whose main difference from me was that they had rich parents. I learned a few things that I will share:

1. The " class system" is very much alive and well ,but now it's less about family lineage and more about family money....accept Your class, it doesn't have to be your destiny, but you can't change your starting point.

2. Not Everyone with "loving ", and by that I assume you mean parents that fund you without reservation , parents does so well. Plenty of those kids I grew up with faltered, never learning to support themselves, or became addicted /depressed / disfunctional. Having money does not shield you from having a sh*tty family, pressures, unhappiness. Sometimes money can make families worse. Even with money, you have to be willing to work with the opportunity provided!

3. NEVER judge value of a relationship of any kind (parental, lover, friends ) based on what they can give you --$$ or connections --- the most valuable relationships are people who will love you and be there for you, and emotionally support you....even when you're down or have your head up your butt, ( which I think you do).

Well, that's what I can offer you. It isn't easy to accept that you are responsible for your success and failures now that you are over 18. I have failed plenty, and it is still hard. However, you did not mention once the multitude of those who have it worse than you. You will NEVER be happy if you focus on the ones that have it better. Good luck. Think about your mindset first

Old 06-04-2017, 09:26 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
Go to college and get a degree in IT/computer related fields. Then apply to work for a large company with known excellent pay - a lot of healthcare IT companies hire kids right out of college and pays in that range to start with bonuses and quick advancement. I know a few people who went that route and made a ton of $$$ but had to relocate to do it. That's the other piece - are you willing to move to get that kind of money? Or take a travel position? Work 70+ hours a week? Often times there's a trade off involved.

Other alternatives are trades as people mention. Or sales if you have the right personality for it.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:11 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Welder.
Not before 20. The thing is I can hire all the welders that I want, I am speaking of general welders on steel not specialized stainless welders with 20 plus years experience, for $15 to $20 an hour tops. Oh yes I can.

Up until 23 to 24 years old my opinion is you shouldn't be striving for money, money is not the god you think it is.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:18 PM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Become a rock 'n roll star:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WXy-h5scjk

Old 06-04-2017, 12:33 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,598 times
At your age and your limited skills, your best shot is go into a high paying trade, sales, or become an entrepreneur. The rest of the other higher paying jobs required many years of education and a college degree. And also be in debt for years. No easy cake my friend. If making money was easy, we all be rich and kicking back at the beach on some beautiful island.

Many people with limited skills and education don't even make that much in their 40s, so you can forget about it if you don't have a special skill or good education in your 20s.

You better be fearless and be a risk taker and take some chances if you want to make good money young. I know and met young people who makes a lot of money and most of them are either in sales or an entrepreneur. They take risks.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:42 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,339 times
I think you're being a bit too optimistic.

Most people I know who made that much had skills/connections well before they were 18-20.

Also, many of them were bonafide geniuses and had a stellar work ethic to go along with it.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:43 PM

811 posts, read 622,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
You better be fearless and be a risk taker and take some chances if you want to make good money young. I know and met young people who make a lot of money and most of them are either in sales or an entrepreneur. They take risks.
One needs to have capital or resources to take risks with.

And it doesn't appear our young start up is much of an entrepreneur... otherwise she wouldn't be asking a bunch of strangers for advice, most of whom are probably not entrepreneurs.

I would actually be surprised if she even posts on this thread again. But I hope she does; I'm keen on hearing why she believes her parents don't love her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment