Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 05:30 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,109,146 times

Advertisements

I've been working at the same trucking job for a little under two years now. With all the jumping around I've done in the past, ten years, I feel any other better looking job would be out of reach due to the excessive amount of employers I've had.
So far, I've applied to a couple of trucking jobs in the Denver area and quite a few in the Albuquerque area(all local. none of that super-trucker, sleep-in-the-truckstop stuff). Low and behold, I've actually been called in for interviews, drug and drive tests with four different companies and all I've done is chicken/flake out because I'm too scared to jump away from the current job I've been at for awhile now.

I don't know if I just want to maintain some semblance of stable employment while I wait for the previous years of job hopping to fall off my record(ten year work history). Or if the fact that I've never left a job voluntarily means I just don't know how to react properly to good news any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 10:20 AM

206 posts, read 154,506 times
Dunno why nobody has replied to you. But you'll be fine man. If you are not happy where you are at, look for somewhere better. As far as I know, having a lot of employers isn't a bad thing. You can also leave out the ones you don't want them to know about. The background check people won't say anything unless you have a criminal offense or something.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:29 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,192,103 times
This day and age, no company can expect a person to stick around for longer than a couple of years. As long as what you're applying for is something you're qualified for, you shouldn't have any issues. Stop wussing out!

Old 06-18-2017, 11:39 AM

146 posts, read 100,255 times
I work in IT so getting a new job takes usually at least 6 months, hence it's better not to wait for a layoff and sit on unemployment. There's a lot of time invested in filling out applications, then a recruiter picking your application for review, then they have to schedule an interview, then they have some emergency come up and they have to reschedule, then after that happens a few times you finally meet. Then the hiring manager interview which again could take a while as the hiring manager has his own fires he has to fight each day and prioritize, then the manager's manager (and the same repeats), then compensation discussions, etc. That all takes a while which is why it is important to submit as many applications as you can (for what you WANT to do, of course) and you should expect a good amount of time to pass before you get any bites.

If a recruiter calls you right after submitting an application it's a huge red flag and it's a job you don't want. Now, if you're working in trucking that may be different because I can understand that type of work is like a revolving door so it probably takes less time. HR/Managers still have to deal with their own daily work so that may cut into getting back to you.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpertAnalysis View Post

If a recruiter calls you right after submitting an application it's a huge red flag and it's a job you don't want. Now, if you're working in trucking that may be different because I can understand that type of work is like a revolving door so it probably takes less time. HR/Managers still have to deal with their own daily work so that may cut into getting back to you.
It's only a bad sign if you see a ton of job ads posted by the same company and if the company has some type of sign-on bonus. It's also a real bad sign if you get a call back almost immediately when the company is more than 200 miles away. It's very telling of their local reputation. It's in the gutter and now they're relying on folks who either know nothing of the company or people from out of state who most likely have no idea who they may be getting involved with. There are an awful lot of sleazy trucking companies out there.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:22 PM

I'm beginning to think I should at least look at online reviews and perhaps talk to as many drivers as I can from a particular company before trying to make the jump. The only real thing I've settled upon where I work at now is the days off I get. I just hate having to end up turning down a potential job due to the fact that the new days off I'll end up getting at the new place will be far different than what I've become accustomed to over the past, few years.
Weds/Thursdays off has me being able to go out to these particular group activities I enjoy doing.
All the other jobs I've interviewed for have these weird, split days off where you get either a Saturday or Sunday off, and then one in the middle of the week.
So, either I'll be having to find a new group to hang out with, or get used to being a loner again.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:27 PM

Stay away from Kimrad. You don't want to go there. Ignore all of the "great" pay stories you may have heard from drivers or have heard from elsewhere. That company is total BS. It's nothing but a fundamentalist Christian good ol' boy circle jerk company whose sole purpose seems to be ripping off its own drivers.

Try getting on with KeHe. They're not shabby at all. All of my friends who I met while working at their direct competitor have since made the jump and are making way more money than before, and they do it in less hours. They also do it with less strain on their back and knees.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
Stay away from Kimrad. You don't want to go there. Ignore all of the "great" pay stories you may have heard from drivers or have heard from elsewhere. That company is total BS. It's nothing but a fundamentalist Christian good ol' boy circle jerk company whose sole purpose seems to be ripping off its own drivers.

Try getting on with KeHe. They're not shabby at all. All of my friends who I met while working at their direct competitor have since made the jump and are making way more money than before, and they do it in less hours. They also do it with less strain on their back and knees.
I'm over at Indian River for the time being. Shuttling trailers to the plant for unloading with a self determined start time each night. Pay's alright for now and management rarely speaks to you. Home everyday as well.
Small city vs. Big city is the only reason I'm sort of seeking a move. But after interviewing with Shamrock Foods, YRC, and USF, none of them had the right combination of pay or days off to justify the move to accept the position. I'm still gunning for the Denver area if need be if Estes ever gets back to me.
But for now, laid back start times, laid back management, and okay pay in a cheap area keep me in a kind of, "Stockholm Syndrome" state with the Clovis area.

I imagine after being spoiled with "choose your own start time" for a few years, a strict schedule adherence with another company will take some getting used to again.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:24 PM

When you start with a regular route, hourly paying gig, you don't really get to choose your start times or days off. That comes with seniority. C'mon man, you have enough experience to kind of pick and choose, despite that one blip on your radar that is now more than ten years old.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
When you start with a regular route, hourly paying gig, you don't really get to choose your start times or days off. That comes with seniority. C'mon man, you have enough experience to kind of pick and choose, despite that one blip on your radar that is now more than ten years old.
As I said, plenty of offers made, but I'm not so sure about starting at the bottom of the bucket right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment