Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 05:53 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times

Advertisements

Glad they changed their policy. That type of shorts look fine.

The company probably would have changed the policy if someone had asked reasonably anyway, but I'm guessing a low-level management authoritarian just cutting his, or more likely her wings, wanted to toss some weight around. Plus, the guy was probably on the verge of quitting anyway.

What do I know though, I'm a VP and I wear shorts like that and flip flops too. I have relaxed dress codes in every company I've worked for, at least at times where there isn't some customer visit going on or something. I like to jazz it up with a printed polo or oxford of some sort though, just for fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 06:21 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times
No different than women thinking shower flip flops are appropriate for the work environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post

Old 06-24-2017, 08:00 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I was sent home for not wearing a tie, I went out and purchased one. While women in the office can get away with tank-top like see-through shirts and thigh showing skirts. Men often have water cooler talks about what the women are wearing.

Women often talk about equality. I don't see it. Women are only fighting for advantage not equality.
This sounds like finance or the RX industry. Am I right?

Are they under 35? Many in that crowd idolize the Kardashians. They made it dressing like whores, that is their source of reference as they haven't lived long enough or been exposed to that much of the real world.

As a female all I see is that kind of dressing might get you laid by the wrong men, maybe that is what they are looking for?

Do you really think long term someone will take them seriously for big promotions?

Advantage - maybe short term. Oh boy am I thrilled to not be working in corp america. No wonder so many count down the days to retirement.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:17 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I used to think that too. But years back, a company I worked for had to get rid of casual Fridays because people - grown, college-educated people - would wear offensive t-shirts A LOT. Like so much that they just scrapped it all together. People routinely wore shirts with profanity (f-word) or racist terms (n-word) spelled out in all their glory on them. It was ridiculous. They started by just disciplining those offenders when it happened, but management got tired of wasting their time on it, so they just got rid of it. And I really don't blame them.

I do think dress codes should be universal. Either everyone should be able to wear shorts or no one. Same with tank tops, dresses, skirts, etc.

Of course you don´t wear t-shirts with offensive prints.
That should be common sense.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:06 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Skirts are awesome. If men knew how comfortable and easy they are to wear, they would require all men to wear them.
I rather not, consider how many hair guys I see at the gym locker rooms you rather have them keep that shroom hidden.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:19 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I would write him up and send him home again, or possibly fire him if this isn't the first time he's tried to show his middle finger to management.
Exactly.

Don't abide by the rules? Buh bye.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:57 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times
But when the rules are not equal then what?

From pants to footwear, women push the envelope with inappropriate attire. Sandals are unprofessional and inappropriate.

If men wore sandals in the work setting, even on a Friday, they would be told to go home and change.

Here is what is considered acceptable by women in the office:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Exactly.

Don't abide by the rules? Buh bye.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:27 PM

529 posts, read 508,211 times
Why shouldn't a man wear a dress to work if it's a clothing listed option? Are woman forbidden to wear pants??? If the job isn't client facing, I think it should always be business casual at worse. That was the rule in the call center I use to work for before I got a non call center job. Of course no one paid attention to the business casual and you had people coming in literally anything. LOL. It was a total joke. Haha

Old 06-24-2017, 04:46 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Of course you don´t wear t-shirts with offensive prints.
That should be common sense.
You would think so, but nope. Lots, and lots, of people who apparently thought it was OK.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:50 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
But did he wear hose? I don't think a dress is professional looking without hose. Not that it should matter at a call center lol

Last edited by brocco; 06-24-2017 at 05:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment