Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 07:13 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,927,409 times

Advertisements

Bachelors degree today is what the high school diploma was back in my day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 08:17 AM

853 posts, read 649,143 times
Removed: I considered better to create a topic about my question in education.

Last edited by Jorge ChemE; 07-06-2017 at 08:31 AM..

Old 07-06-2017, 08:18 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I'd tell them see you (no notice either). The incoming candidate has a BS so he/she shouldn't need a lowly AS to train them.
I have to agree 100% with this!!! Then go find a real job outside of a temp agency!Apply directly with the company themselves! I personally hate temp agencies. They typically seem like a bunch of crappy jobs. Op, an A.S. can get you plenty of jobs, don't be discouraged!

Old 07-06-2017, 08:25 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,290,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
That BS is "women's studies" is really needed for this technical position.....NOT!!!
If you actually looked at a college catalog and the requirements for any undergrad degree, you'd see that the core general education requirement is the same for all the degrees. Meaning, someone with a college degree in anything is better than someone who has none. If you don't think so, notice how some job listings simply ask for a college degree as the requirement.

You know, education doesn't stop with college. I know an excellent medical doctor who has an undergraduate degree in Art History.

But you just keep talking nonsense about the myth of women's studies or anything else you want to your drinking buddies. I'm sure that makes you all feel better about yourselves.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:28 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,290,906 times
Quote:
I'd tell them see you (no notice either). The incoming candidate has a BS so he/she shouldn't need a lowly AS to train them.
But it doesn't really matter, because this is a story that has all the makings of one from the fictional place of "small town USA" where if you were to ask, some folks might tell you I'm Retired Now.

Last edited by eastcoastguyz; 07-06-2017 at 09:32 AM..

Old 07-06-2017, 08:34 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,487,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly0713 View Post
I started a temporary job through a temp agency about 4 months ago that could possibly lead into a full-time position. I wasn't trained very well and figuring out things and creating various spreadsheets to help with accounts. Anyhow, I was told that if I had a Bachelor's degree I would have been hired (I have an Associated Degree) and that I have very strong skills. The new person is coming on board the week the boss is out of town, and I am to train her and she will job shadow under me (I just overheard this) and find this to be very unfair and confusing. If I can't qualify for the job and a temp worker at that, why would you have me train the hired staff? I absolutely love my job and it's heart-wrenching. I leave in August. It's hard to find good paying jobs in small town USA, heck jobs period, especially jobs you love. How should I handle this situation? Frustrated in Small Town USA.
If a Bachelor's is required for the job, why did they hire you? Do the bear minimum and move on.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:06 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
If a Bachelor's is required for the job, why did they hire you? Do the bear minimum and move on.
Maybe they think that a college education and a Bachelor's degree helps people distinguish between bear and bare?

Old 07-06-2017, 09:44 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
I started a temporary job through a temp agency about 4 months ago that could possibly lead into a full-time position. I wasn't trained very well and figuring out things and creating various spreadsheets to help with accounts. Anyhow, I was told that if I had a Bachelor's degree I would have been hired (I have an Associated Degree) and that I have very strong skills. The new person is coming on board the week the boss is out of town, and I am to train her and she will job shadow under me (I just overheard this) and find this to be very unfair and confusing. If I can't qualify for the job and a temp worker at that, why would you have me train the hired staff? I absolutely love my job and it's heart-wrenching. I leave in August. It's hard to find good paying jobs in small town USA, heck jobs period, especially jobs you love. How should I handle this situation? Frustrated in Small Town USA.
Probably move to NYC, but even in NYC. Employers wont interview you unless if you have a BA or higher.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:27 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
Quote:

I was going to say the same thing . Great minds think alike and I would 86 that temp agency too . They are most likely getting double what you are for placing you there . I would walk away from both of these places you are a smart person I'm sure you can find a job on your own .,

Old 07-06-2017, 10:32 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
How should I handle this situation?
They said you have strong skills, so work with that in mind. Be a good employee and don't burn bridges. Also, start working on your Bachelors at night online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment