Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 08:59 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times

Advertisements

To the posters who think it is great if you can walk to your job..........No thanks !

I don't care how much I enjoyed my job I want a physical separation more than walking distance from work place to my family place.

Keeping those two completely separated is a big deal for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 04:43 PM

285 posts, read 427,108 times
I travel 58 minutes to get to work

Old 07-20-2017, 05:19 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,727 times
This thread hits home. I bought a house paid in cash in a town that I missed really bad after I moved to Seattle. I was starting a new job even further than Seattle and ended up driving 4-5 hours a day round trip, depending on traffic. That was then, it would be much worse now given the population increase.

After I was proven the first few months into the job, I was allowed to work from home a lot. I ended up working from home 3 days a week. Not everyone was allowed to do this, we had some people who tried matching my exact WFH days and quickly got recalled because of their performance issues, even prior to starting WFH...

In any case, I was always a long commuter, but not THIS long. Prior to that it was typically 2-2.5 hours a day round trip. I will say, even though the commute was long, the job was initially enjoyable and a good place to work. I liked the house and all the entertainment I had available to me, my old haunts from my 20's.

Eventually the job turned to crap and I left, for a better paying job close to my house at the time. I've since moved on, but my point is the commute is not as big a factor as the work environment and compensation, not to mention what I'm going home to. For me, it was a better job than I had previously, and I lived in a house for the first time in my life. To top it off it was paid for and with a paid off place it would only cost me 1K a month to live.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:20 PM

136 posts, read 146,264 times
For me personally, I would commute an hour max per way. You need to be able to broaden your job search. Anything at 30 min max is hard to do because there's barely any jobs to apply to.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:51 AM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
I don't normally like driving any more than 20-30 min to work & so far, I've only had to drive that far for the most part. However, I recently got a job that takes 1.5 - 1.75 hrs EACH WAY to work!!! It's only part-time, which helps, but not the easiest drive either & I have to go quite a ways on the surface streets as well. When I had to drive there for my job interview, the fwy was good & it took 45 min, so I guess that was a fluke! I thought about whether I still wanted to continue w/ the job & I guess I will because I figured the pros & cons of it all. Yes, I hate the drive, but what can you do?

The job will last for the next 1.5 yrs at the least & I need it for a requirement AFTER graduating w/ my degree.

(BTW, I'll take working from home ANY day!)

Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
For a decade I could walk, it was great.

Now its an hour, which stinks, but there is no where I consider really livable any closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment