Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 10:54 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Amazing isn't it?
Seen this so many times in my lifetime.
Seen it also. Executives fired for not only performance issues but theft and sexual harrasment who a short while later have a high position somewhere. Do they have a get out of jail free card? Someone once said to me people like that are like cats-9 lives and always land on their feet.

I think its smooth talking, sales skills, and covering up thier past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 10:54 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Its a joke isn't it? . CEOs can drive a company into the ground with bad decisions, collect a golden payout (One good enough to be set for life regardless of his/her FAILURE at the job), turn around and go to another company and do the same damn thing.

Defy's logic. Well I guess thats why we are in the shape we are in. People stand by and accept this nonsense. So basically we deserve it.. Bad management should NOT be given leeway to do whatever the hell they please with no shackles placed on them and no accountability.

We get what we deserve. There is always so much nonsense of the "rank in file" to "go with the flow and fall in line" but the same nonsense isn't geared towards management. They have free reign to do whatever they please.

So let it keep happening while companies and the country keep getting ran into the ground.. Maybe someday, somehow people will wake up

Last edited by DorianRo; 07-16-2017 at 11:03 AM..

Old 07-16-2017, 12:16 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I worked at a software company with offices all over the world, and the CEO and VP's drove the company into the ground, yet months after being fired all around the same time, they all found jobs. The CEO found a comparable position as a CEO, the VP's took low level manager roles, at least for now.

I'm quite shocked that it is this easy for them to find a new job despite their mediocre performance. I left the company out of frustration with their incompetence which made my job that much harder. All of their performers left for the same reasons, we still talk to this day. I have been searching for a new job with a promotion for a year and was an actual performer, yet these people drive the company into the ground with their bad decisions and get picked up like they are waiting for a bus???

Do they just lie on their resume and fake references? Thank goodness I'm still employed while I look, but it's really disheartening to see that quality workers have a hard timer finding a job and these people just waltz right into them...
I came from a similar company. Luckily it was bought by a much stable company. It was sold for such a price that it looked like it was given away for free.

All the top nuts found similar positions like " VP HR" , "VP Technology" etc and surely 6 and 7 figures .

Old 07-16-2017, 01:05 PM

901 posts, read 747,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Its a joke isn't it? . CEOs can drive a company into the ground with bad decisions, collect a golden payout (One good enough to be set for life regardless of his/her FAILURE at the job), turn around and go to another company and do the same damn thing.

Defy's logic. Well I guess thats why we are in the shape we are in. People stand by and accept this nonsense. So basically we deserve it.. Bad management should NOT be given leeway to do whatever the hell they please with no shackles placed on them and no accountability.

We get what we deserve. There is always so much nonsense of the "rank in file" to "go with the flow and fall in line" but the same nonsense isn't geared towards management. They have free reign to do whatever they please.

So let it keep happening while companies and the country keep getting ran into the ground.. Maybe someday, somehow people will wake up
What shape are we in? Do you want to go back to the 1890's and live off of a $1.00 per day IN TODAYS MONEY. If you live in America, you're in the top 1/10th of 1% by historical standards

Old 07-17-2017, 03:41 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,282 times
I have actually seen this not only with Executives, but with regular rank and file workers. I first noticed it with this guy at my company who was a blithering mountain of incompetence. NO ONE wanted to work with him he was so inept.

He once told me he "runs a lot of projects here" when I confronted him on his incompetence. He got fired 1.6 years into the job. This has literally been repeated, following him on LinkedIn, every 1.5 years or so. They realize he is a fool, lay him off, and he starts the job hunt again, get's hired somewhere, milks it until they realize he has no idea what he is doing, repeat, etc.

Actually there were three rank and file workers at that company I noticed that pattern with in their ENTIRE career.

With them, their failures are not as apparent as the Executives, but still, you would think that the hiring manager would note that they seem to get laid off every 1.5 years at each job they work, perhaps that's a sign of a guy who just can't cut it and shouldn't be hired. Few HM's have that level of thought though...The interview process is literally one that selects for gab usually.

In the case of the Executives at the company, most of them knew each other from other companies, so there is likely merit to the theory that they are on the friends and family plan....Heck the place I work now, all the leadership knew each other and worked together elsewhere before. No surprise that they have all been fired over the years and their positions not replaced....They got hired by friends, not on merit, and drove the place into the ground....

Old 07-17-2017, 05:32 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I don't get it either. White males, maybe ivy league schoolmates, all taking care of each other or something.
These guys are sociopaths. Have no clue or don't care what criminal a******* they are.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:44 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Kind of dumb. Companies would rather bring in someone who has executive or managerial experience from the outside who may or may not be competent rather than promote someone known to be capable who doesn't have the next level of experience.
I think that's because the people hiring the CEO are often ignorant investors who don't know the business well and are easily impressed by someone who can talk a good game. And every CEO I have known has had similar traits - ambitious, educated, well-dressed, attractive and/or pleasing voice, eloquent, outgoing, and inspiring.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:14 PM

289 posts, read 220,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Makes no sense. IF someone runs one company into the ground, what makes you believe they wouldn't do it again, or even be qualified for another high paying position?? Its also a complete JOKE that these idiots get heavy payouts, golden parachutes, and ridiculous bonuses regardless of whether they fail or succeed in the position. No one else gets a buttload of money on the way out for FAILING at their position.

I can't believe things continue to be so screwed up and no accountability is ever placed on these people. You would think after years of this mess with companies since the recession and even since the 80s, things would change. Accountability will FINALLY happen in America. Nope things are still screwed up as ever.

Until merit and accountability is re-rentered into the corporate workplace, things will continue to trend downward.

It never ceases to amaze me the guy cleaning the toilets at 9-10 bucks/hour is held more to more accountability than the leaders who make all the money and the decisions
Accountability starts and ends with the other rich people in the organization, they don't want to change how things go because they'll be up next for a big payout. In my previous career I never met a competent upper management employee, not a single one. Yet, given their vast shortcomings, they were still the ones put in charge, and could be put in charge somewhere else if they were ever let go (fat chance).

Old 07-17-2017, 08:11 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguy01 View Post
Accountability starts and ends with the other rich people in the organization, they don't want to change how things go because they'll be up next for a big payout. In my previous career I never met a competent upper management employee, not a single one. Yet, given their vast shortcomings, they were still the ones put in charge, and could be put in charge somewhere else if they were ever let go (fat chance).
and the cashier and floor sweeper would have done so much better?

Old 07-18-2017, 04:26 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Two points to consider.

Sometimes the best people to avoid future failure are those who have experienced it. It's not always the best to have someone who has had everything go their way.

Secondly, perhaps the company or industry was already doomed. Sometimes even senior management can't fight that. It's also important to note that someone can create huge value even in losses. Say the company would have lost 1 billion with an average CEO, but "only" lost 200 million with a CEO who was doing a good job with the hand dealt. Sometimes you're still creating value by making the company lose less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment