Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 12:05 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times

Advertisements

This has absolutely been my experience. In order to get promotions, I've usually had to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 01:51 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I'm sure that it is not all industries. I have seen people do well by staying and others do well by leaving. I am in healthcare in the facilities end of the business. For me I think now that it has hurt me to stay. I should have left here in 2006 when I completed my MBA. For years I planned on staying at the hospital until I retired. I more than likely will do that now anyway.

What I have found in the past 4+ years is that many in the industry do move around a bit. Not every 2 years though. More like every 4 or 5 years. As an example, someone enters the field and works within the organization. After 4 or 5 years they look for a supervisor position, another 4 or 5 years a manager position. Then move on into a Director position. Many times the only way to move into a higher level position is to move. You could do it quicker as well. I know one guy that had been at 12 hospitals in 14 years. He came here as our Director and within 18 months he was gone. That guy was considered a rock star when he got here. What we learned though is that you can cause a lot of damage in a short time and get out of town before the hammer falls.

Another guy I know moved around but within the same healthcare organization. He had worked at different hospitals, taking on advancing roles and eventually serving as either a VP or Director, depending on the size of the hospital.

Our current Director has been here over 7 months and plans to stay 10 years total. He wants to retire after working here 10 years. He has worked for hospitals in Texas, California, Florida, Arizona, and Washington. He seems to have stayed at a place between 3 and 5 years.

In Nursing I find that around here people stay for the long haul. Maybe it is just our facility though. Some Nurses work at more than one place though. Most places I am aware of have a five level program for Nursing and other disciplines. We recently switched to that in our Department. The fastest way to get an increase is to qualify for the next level. The ability to move up may have an effect to keep people within the organization. We sure are hoping in our department to see if that works, although most of us have been there for some time, I hit 20 years in February. With the changes in our own department I will find out if I am moving into another position that will be a large increase in pay. That may end up keeping me here a lot longer.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:10 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Great in theory...but do it young when you're single. The days are over when one person decides where and when to move - with two CAREERS (not just jobs) to consider it is much more of a balancing act.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:53 PM

43 posts, read 35,487 times
It depends I guess. I've been with my company for 11 years in the same department (first company out of college). Changing jobs after 2-3 years is common in my industry, but staying put also has it's benefits.

Over the 11 years, my salary has increased 4 times through raises and promotions from what I started at. Plus staying has the added benefits of seniority, work from home, and PTO, etc. Now if I was turned down for some of the promotions and still in one of the lower level positions, sure it would make sense to change jobs. I've been moving up every few years along with matching salary increases, so I don't think I could really do much better elsewhere.

Sure, I can probably jump ship and get 10% more, but I would likely go from 7 weeks vacation to 3 weeks, I'm home based, so I would probably lose that, etc.

I'm sure there will be one day soon I'll want a change of scenery, but no interest at the moment.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:30 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
Has definitely been the case for me. If an employer chooses to not hire me because I'm a hopper, so be it. That said, I will only move if there's value in skillset for me. Meaning, I'm not taking a lateral, just to go to Company B and do a similar job. It has to be a new skill that I can take on the road with me.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:53 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
You need to consider that the employees who change employers every few years may be the ones who can.

To do that, they must have developed marketable job skills. Also, they are the risk takers.

It is true that to get a significant raise, e.g. 20%, you'll need to change companies. The left behinds get the 2% raises.
I've had a coworker get a 50% raise by jumping ship vs. if he stayed, would've gotten a 6% raise just after completing our annual PR. Most other variables were equal, so he welcomed the much higher pay.
For another coworker, he was our team lead, but even our big company didn't have much room for those going into management. He got hired onto a small company, and to this day, has moved up to upper management. He had me guess his salary. I guessed $120K? $130K? $150K?, whereas he cut me off and said we could probably just stop there b/c it'll take a while at that rate.
Both work in IT/tech.

OTOH, I have a family member who was able to move up the ranks within the company, but she's in marketing/business.
YMMV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This is a ridiculous statement to make. It depends on industry, location, level, etc. and so on. There's no blanket statement like this that is true.
It varies per person, and should be taken in consideration, but not be something that's absolute.
And we've had blanket statements here on C-D before [shrug]

Old 07-18-2017, 04:12 PM

2,280 posts, read 3,079,872 times
I find it generally to be true, at least in most private industries. I never got more than a 4% annual raise working for the same company, but my last two moves (to two different companies) were an increase of 20% and 29%, respectively. They were both for better job titles, as well. I was in one job as a senior analyst for 3 years where my boss kept dangling the carrot that I was going to be a manager "by this time next year". Each time I only got the 3% raise and not the manager title it only intensified my search for a new job. It's funny because now just two years later that same former boss is now one of my clients and we have equal titles now.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
You need to consider that the employees who change employers every few years may be the ones who can.

To do that, they must have developed marketable job skills. Also, they are the risk takers.

It is true that to get a significant raise, e.g. 20%, you'll need to change companies. The left behinds get the 2% raises.
Not really. I got a 20% raise recently. I think the key is to work for a really large company that has a lot of job openings.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:19 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I agree that there are only certain types of employees who can afford to move around every two years. I worked in state government where the only way to get a raise was to move around, so of course people there tended to move around every couple of years. No one thought anything of it. However, people moving around within the state system kept their accrued vacation and pension benefits.

People who move from company to company every 2 years may never stay anywhere long enough to vest in any sort of pension/401k system, or if they do, to have it be meaningful, so while the salary may go up 10-15%, they may also be losing out on tons of benefits that far outweigh what they could gain by hopping around that much. A job isn't *just* about salary. It is about a whole benefit package. If you are in a good company with a great 401k match, a lot of PTO/vacation, inexpensive health insurance, the fact that you are getting a 25% bump to go somewhere else that doesn't offer those things might not be worth it in the long run.
Pension systems? They still exist? I thought only government workers got those.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:50 PM

337 posts, read 276,598 times
I think this might only work if you get promoted to a better job. I know for me (education) I have a lot of experience however, I look like a job hopper since I go wherever the job is (same job-just frequently laid off due to budget or grants expiring). The only person who understood that it wasn't because I was a "screw up", was my last boss who I really liked working with. To me, 5 years in 1 district looks much better than if you were spread around different districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment