Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Change of career: masters degree, law school, paralegal, cpa training, loan.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:53 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,723,059 times

Advertisements

Like many others, I'm lost career-wise. I am in my mid-30s, hold an Assoc. in Paralegal and a B.A. in Sociology. I currently work as a legal secretary. The pay is good but the job is very unrewarding and quite dull to be honest. I feel like a robot.

I absolutely love school so when I finished I was bored for some time, until this fall semester when I enrolled in Spanish. I'd like to become fluent but it's hard for me. I live in the midwest where I just don't come in contact w/Spanish speaking people as much as other areas of the country.

Me and my DH have a goal of moving to Miami about 1 1/2 yrs. from now.

I've floated around ideas: From law school, to paralegal (instead of secretary), to teaching. Most recently I've thought about teaching online studies in the community college level.

I approached the idea of Masters, but was quickly dissuaded when I met with the dean of Soc. at my college, who told me that pretty much my only option with a Soc. degree would be social work or the PhD track to become a prof. He told me they just hired a prof. PhD at $40K. That's just depressing.

I don't know what to do next? Just keep reading and researching? It's driving me nutso!!

Last edited by DenverLawGal; 09-25-2008 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 01:22 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
I was in the same predicament. Just finished my MBA in May and still had no clue. A good friend instructed me that I should become a CPA because of the need and because I was most of the way there without even knowing it. My thoughts are to do what you like, go after it, and live a happy life. It does take time to figure it out I guess. Most of us just don't have a plan. I didn't for many years. In 2001 I started school and kept going till I completed my MBA in May of this year. I am 43 now and feel as the world is new again and that I am finally in controll of my life and situation. It did take a lot of searching to discover what direction that I wanted to take. You may need to do the same.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:38 PM

I thought about number crunching but don't think that it's for me. I work for CPA's turned lawyers and what they describe is worse than law firms. Long hours and stressed out people. I do know of a few that went out on their own and they are very happy CPA's. Good luck to you on that! I think you are right on the searching and doing what I like. thanks for the response.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:08 PM

850 posts, read 3,159,418 times
Have you considered teaching at the high school level? Generally, from what I understand, one can be hired easier with a B.A., then work on the Master's. I do not know what classes you may need to pick up in order to teach in the school system (KY has specifics you must take additionally when switching to Teaching regardless of degree's held), but it may be worth a try. AND - with what you have right now, you could substitute teach to see what you think, the ages you prefer, and if you really want that route at all. Just a thought.

Miami, I am assured by my parents, is a challenging place to be. Kudos to you for looking that way, and I bet the kids would truly benefit from your care and concern. Oh, and the pay - teaching is not the best place to be if money is a thought. There are many teachers in my ex-husband's family and they certainly did it out of love, not budget. But it is very rewarding, I believe.

Good luck!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 AM

Hi Kimmieky! Money is not my top priority by any means, but I do need to survive and pay off my loans. I'm not sure if I have the heart to go into teaching as a career, but I do like helping others. I don't have kids and chose not to have them at all, so I'm worried that high schoolers might drive me nuts. But subbing is a good idea.

Miami for me is a goal I've made for many reasons. It's a big decision but something I must do.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:49 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,298,540 times
wanttomoveeast:

If you have an Associate's in Paralegal Studies, plus you r experience as a legal secretary, can you not get a job as a Paralegal? Or am I missing something?

Maybe you just need to change to a different type of law firm. I worked for a debt collection firm (file/mail clerk) and wow, how totally boring. The attorneys and paralegals I worked with were nice, but it seemed like a soul killing job all around. I'd been considering going to school to be a paralegal but after seeing what they did all day I had second thoughts. It just seemed like a bunch of insanely routine office work, much like what I already do but for more money (and of course, with more knowledge needed but still very dull).

I don't think that would necessarily be the case though in a criminal defense office, or a legal aid office, or as a paralegal for a non-profit that works with various groups in need of help (domestic violence victims, etc)....or anything else one could be passionate about and have some experiences of helping others...? Seems like your Sociology degree might help out there too.

I wish I could be more helpful. I am just as LOST... but with no degree. So, lost and 4 or 5 years behind the rest of my age group (I'm 37).... I am soooooo tired of flip flopping around on possible career choices. I'm working on my basics at community college and so far I've considered Sociology, English, History, Dental Hygiene, Court Reporting and/or steno-captioner, Paralegal Studies, Diagnostic Sonography, web design/development, Kindergarten teacher, Landscape designer, and on and on and back around again.

Nothing really "speaks to me" and I'm about to just give up and do whatever makes the most money and is easiest.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:20 PM

Fierce: Sorry, I probably should have explained more, but paralegal is not the dream job many think it is. In fact, where I live, secretaries work less hours and make more money than paralegals. It's very stressful and not so rewarding oftentimes, which is why often you'll see secretaries looking at a dead end. There really is nowhere to go other than lawyer. Since I work in a law firm, I have a good idea of what it's like being a lawyer and I guess I just feel that it's not worth my happiness to make $$. I also did try my hand at paralegal a few yrs. ago and discovered I was no more than a paper pusher. I end up doing more as a secretary. And being busy for me is a good thing. I hope I answered your question there!

I've been in several firms and I'm supposedly at one of the top 3 in my city. I'm thinking that it's not the firm I need to change at this point. And yeah, I've done debt collection, it's definitely not a type of law I'd do again!

Criminal defense is something I've never done -- but you are right, I bet there is much more fulfillment there. What scares me about it is this: I have a friend who's wife runs a criminal defense firm and she is really burnt out. Also broke. See, criminals often don't have money to pay fees. And criminals who don't get off often blame their lawyer. See where I'm going with this? But with that said, you really did put out some good ideas/avenues for me to look into. Thanks so much for that.

You and I are one year apart, so I def. can feel where you are coming from. I went to school the whole time I worked for law firms, full-time. I too couldn't figure out a degree, then realized it didn't matter. Because undergrads are a dime a dozen, it's more a bargaining tool for more money. I could have majored in underwater basket weaving and gotten a higher paying salary as a legal secretary. My advice to you is don't fret so much about your degree, just get one. Try to stay away from things like History, although seriously you can do whatever you want with a history degree. I think when it really begins to matters is if/when you consider graduate school. Which is my problem. That seems to really rope you into a career.

Thanks again for your response. I wish the best to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment