Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:29 PM

472 posts, read 438,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I have a heart problem with a side of a few heart attacks....my heart rate is 120 on the regular...who knew this earned me less work! Awesome!
You conveniently missed the part about OCD. Pathetic how uncaring people are these days. "He has health concerns related to work so he must be up to something." That's Trump-like level of soulless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 01:37 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
And so it goes as per usual.

OP, why are you asking this forum when you should be going to an attorney experienced in these matters?

As expected, it's going back and forth between you and others simply because you are not getting the answer YOU want.

Again, if this matter is that urgent, why ask a forum and not an attorney?

Priorities right?

Old 07-31-2017, 01:53 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
The company must make accommodations if possible to do, to make it possible to do your job. Apparently you think it unfair that they give you a little more to do, when someone has to be absent. You want to skate along with doing what ever you feel you want to do. The ADA does not say the employer must reduce your work load to where you do less than the other workers, due to your problem. It is to make it possible to do your job, such as a special chair, special keyboard, etc., etc. It does not say they have to cut your workload lower than others, due to your problem.

That would be unfair to the company who pays $xx for so much work being done, and your saying I only want to do half as much work as the other employees. If you can only do half as much work, your pay should be cut in half to be fair to your employer.

The budget your department is so much for a certain amount of work to be done. At times one employee has to be absent, it is normal to divide the work up among the other workers, to keep things going smoothly. If one employee (you) says I don't want to do my share, just give it to the others, how are you being fair to the employer and the other employers.

ADA protection is for the employer to make accommodations such as I said earlier, special equipment, etc., so you can do the job. It is not to tell the company you only do what you want to do, and not really do the job as needed.

The company has to be fair and do what needs to make it possible for you to do the job at the level others do their work. It does not say they have to let you do what ever you feel like doing, and just say I don't want to do my complete job. I don't want to be like others and pitch in do a little more while another employee has to be absent.

That is why several people have told you to look for another job. They are really telling you if you cannot do the job, and turn in as much work as everyone else, then you are no value to your employer and should just leave and find a job where you will not be put under stress.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:46 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Put your concerns in writing to HR to them know how put out you are that you are expected be a team player and pick up the slack when needed. You could also write to your local newspaper to let them know what is going on in your state as I'm sure the taxpayers need to know how abusive it is to work for them. I suspect that sooner or later, your choice or not, you will need to find a new job.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Put your concerns in writing to HR to them know how put out you are that you are expected be a team player and pick up the slack when needed. You could also write to your local newspaper to let them know what is going on in your state as I'm sure the taxpayers need to know how abusive it is to work for them. I suspect that sooner or later, your choice or not, you will need to find a new job.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The company must make accommodations if possible to do, to make it possible to do your job. Apparently you think it unfair that they give you a little more to do, when someone has to be absent. You want to skate along with doing what ever you feel you want to do. The ADA does not say the employer must reduce your work load to where you do less than the other workers, due to your problem. It is to make it possible to do your job, such as a special chair, special keyboard, etc., etc. It does not say they have to cut your workload lower than others, due to your problem.

That would be unfair to the company who pays $xx for so much work being done, and your saying I only want to do half as much work as the other employees. If you can only do half as much work, your pay should be cut in half to be fair to your employer.

The budget your department is so much for a certain amount of work to be done. At times one employee has to be absent, it is normal to divide the work up among the other workers, to keep things going smoothly. If one employee (you) says I don't want to do my share, just give it to the others, how are you being fair to the employer and the other employers.

ADA protection is for the employer to make accommodations such as I said earlier, special equipment, etc., so you can do the job. It is not to tell the company you only do what you want to do, and not really do the job as needed.

The company has to be fair and do what needs to make it possible for you to do the job at the level others do their work. It does not say they have to let you do what ever you feel like doing, and just say I don't want to do my complete job. I don't want to be like others and pitch in do a little more while another employee has to be absent.

That is why several people have told you to look for another job. They are really telling you if you cannot do the job, and turn in as much work as everyone else, then you are no value to your employer and should just leave and find a job where you will not be put under stress.
Why leave a job where it's pretty much impossible to get fired? And I actually do more work than a coworker who does the same thing. I know because we have access to each other's completed work in case we need it for ours and I can see that I do twice as much as she does per day yet my supervisor doesn't seem to care about that.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:47 PM

603 posts, read 445,480 times
Actually, I have read several well thought out posts by posters here who have advised you to take the matter up with the HR department and I agree with them.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:46 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Why leave a job where it's pretty much impossible to get fired? And I actually do more work than a coworker who does the same thing. I know because we have access to each other's completed work in case we need it for ours and I can see that I do twice as much as she does per day yet my supervisor doesn't seem to care about that.
I would say what kind of post this is, it is probably get a warning from the moderators. In fact, I hope it is that kind of post, because I would hate to think that someone really thinks this way. You have just revealed that you don't really think this is an ADA issue, it s backhanded way of addressing what you perceive as an unequal distribution of the workload, which is actually quite ironic.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:00 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
My employer is assigning me more work because of an absent employee (there are other workers who do the same same thing and could be assigned the work instead, mind you). I was recently granted protection under the Americans with Disability Act due to multiple reasons, chief among them a severe case of OCD that after wearing a rather bulky heart rate monitor/blood pressure device loaned out from my doctor, causes my heart rate and blood pressure to spike when I feel overwhelmed by things, work in this case. I have a heart condition whereby my cardiologist wants me to keep my BP at 120 or lower.

The resulting ADA protection paperwork filled out by me and my doctor state, among other things, that I am not to get more work than currently assigned.

My question is: what do you think I should do? How do I go about telling/reminding my supervisor about the ADA stuff? Can I use the ADA protection in this case? Just looking for advice as I don't know how to go about things in this situation.
Since you said you're a Govt employee, you're not going to get any helpful info here. I don't know anything about the ADA, although I would be surprised if it covered what you described.

If you are part of a union I would ask them first. Perhaps go to HR, but in my experience HR can't be trusted and may make matters worse. Lastly, you can consult a lawyer, however they won't work for free and there's probably no money to be made with a court case here.

Your best bet is probably to try to qualify for SSDI (Social Security Disability Income) or if you have enough time on the job and are old enough see if you can leave under disability. Very few jobs are NOT going to raise you heart rate, so I would aim for 100% disability if that's possible. Otherwise I don't see how you can hold a job with those restrictions.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:31 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Very few jobs are NOT going to raise you heart rate, so I would aim for 100% disability if that's possible.
I know I've taken your statement out of context, but this is priceless!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment