Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 09:22 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,739 times

Advertisements

SO seems like the moral of the story here is if moving to California, become a government worker? :P Crazy to see salaries that high, almost hard to believe they are real. A cop here in the midwest where I live gets paid about 40k. Other government jobs have equally lower pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 09:29 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Ok fine sorry didnt know so RN's do make decent money I hope thats the norm for many RN's

If you say so I would feel rich with that kind of money even in a HCOL area since I dont have no kind of debt at all and just a girlfriend to spoil.

Does your husband/wife work too? Or its just you?
I'm single with no roommates, so it's just me footing all the bills! And I don't have a lavish lifestyle by any means, nor do I have much debt - rent is what kills me here, since it eats up about 55-60% of my take-home pay. How much do you pay in rent/mortgage every month?

Old 08-08-2017, 09:37 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
SO seems like the moral of the story here is if moving to California, become a government worker? :P Crazy to see salaries that high, almost hard to believe they are real. A cop here in the midwest where I live gets paid about 40k. Other government jobs have equally lower pay.
Again, you need to know their NET pay (after all deductions) before getting too excited - as government workers generally pay a lot more into things like benefits, retirement, and union dues. I gross something like $6500/mo, but only take home around $4000 of that money. Also, the public vs private salaries for each industry can differ based on the industry itself... in my profession, private-sector jobs tend to pay more than public. We probably get better benefits and retirement packages, though.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:13 PM

186 posts, read 125,626 times
They either:
1. Have an inheritance
2. Have very wealthy families to foot the bill
3. Have won a massive lawsuit or won the lottery to afford such a place

Old 08-08-2017, 11:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
So how hard is it to become a cop in these places? Jeez Louise I want to do that!! Cops get paid like $15-19 bucks an hour tops where I live, it sounds like Cali is one of the few places where they make MORE than the COL increase from the midwest. Top cops make around 40k here, so if they are making 230k in Cali, that more than makes up for rent being 4 times higher.
Second preferred language a big plus... minority a big plus, female a big plus.

Oakland actually sends out recruiting teams looking for women and minorities... on of my Oakland PD friends has been to Chicago and Atlanta recruiting.

One of my friends has an Oakland pension of 180k plus lifetime benefits and retired at 52... got bored and went to work for another agency...

Old 08-08-2017, 11:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
100K in California? do you have reliable source of this?

100k is plenty of money if you can't live on that then thats a spending problem you have.....
I've posted the links for RN at SF General...

I work in a hospital and know RN's earning 65 and hour plus shift differential and overtime...

RN's not management must be paid overtime no matter the hourly wage in California.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:03 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
It's been twelve years since I lived in Rhode Island, so I have no ideas how the numbers have changed since 2005, but my wife and I (she's a teacher; I'm a professor) made considerably more money in CA than RI. For example, I was making about $2500 per class taught in RI; I immediately upped that to $4250 per class taught in CA. Meanwhile, our rent went from $750 a month in RI to $950 a month in CA (we did go from a two bedroom apartment to a one bedroom apartment, but we didn't have kids at the time, so that was no big deal). So just one class paid for almost nine months of extra rent - - and I taught twelve classes in a year (not counting the improvement in my wife's salary). And really, other than gas for our cars, the other expenses were commensurate if not cheaper in CA. For example, we paid a lot less in electricity because we didn't need heat or air conditioning in CA.

Now we have a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom house six blocks from the ocean. We have an in-law quarters on the property that we rent out to a friend that pays for approximately a third of our rent (we pay $2750 per month). Our income is getting close to quadruple what it was in RI - - obviously, we would have improved our pay in RI if we would have stayed there, but there is no way we'd be making as much as we do now. Rent is obviously quite expensive, but, for us, the quality of living has been well worth the cost of living. Considering you only get to live once, for us it's a trade off that we'd do every timek

Old 08-09-2017, 04:14 AM

862 posts, read 975,776 times
People live outside the city they work in and commute in, suburbs are much cheaper.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:26 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcuraMan View Post
They either:
1. Have an inheritance
2. Have very wealthy families to foot the bill
3. Have won a massive lawsuit or won the lottery to afford such a place
Or, in the majority of cases, have gotten education and have worked very hard.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:40 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
i would never buy a house in California.

Moving to a LCOL is much better and less stressful to raise a family

As someone whos not married yet if i start a family one day theres no way im buying a home ever here
The thing about buying in a high COL area is that you're likely to get far more home equity than someone in cheapsville over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment