Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 09:53 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy53420 View Post
I need to check those apps out...we manually calculated what one employee is costing my business in poop breaks. It was close to $4,000 a year he gets paid to crap!!
How much did you cost the business in monitoring his poop breaks and figuring out what he cost the business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 09:54 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
You give people too much credit. Some people just feel the need to stick their noses into other people's business even if it doesn't effect them. I work IT doing systems and database administration, some of the tasks we do require system downtime which is generally done off hours. The company isn't a huge fan of paying overtime so we generally adjust work schedules as needed to accommodate this work. Either coming in late, leaving early or taking an extended lunch. Our lead leaves it up to us to decide how we want to do it.

Anyways this office busy body who didn't really understand what our workload was always grumbling about our hours. Said busy body work was in no way impacted by us working weird hours. She then tried to raise a big stink about this at office wide meeting. She got the riot act read to her in front of the entire office. Apparently she had expressed displeasure more than once in the past to various parts of management who had told her it wasn't her problem or concern. From what I gathered from other people, she thought if she raised this in front of everyone she would get the masses on her side. Instead she just got blank stares, head shaking and a few face palms.

I've seen these types before...
"He's listening to music while at work!"
Oh, it's loud?
"No, he's wearing headphones"
Can you hear it through the headphones?
"No"
... Still, they told him and others to not listen to music. It was a lousy MW job anyways that was repetitive, but nice at least in where it's easy. For me, it paid the cell phone bills and some games, but luckily, I ended up moving for a job soon enough.

At another place, this guy would complain about people being away from their desks a lot. However, this guy himself spent time playing games on his iPhone, and asking his cube mates to proofread his email he was going to send to his gf.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:56 AM

2,349 posts, read 1,397,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
How much did you cost the business in monitoring his poop breaks and figuring out what he cost the business?
Well since it’s my business what does it matter???

Don’t recall asking for your opinion jazz!!

Old 09-27-2017, 10:13 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,672,937 times
This thread reminds me of company in the Silicon Valley that had to station someone in the bathrooms to teach workers to wash their hands before returning to work. I do hope the 30 minutes concerning the OP is used for hand washing time also as failing to do so can lead to bigger problems.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:40 AM

497 posts, read 485,134 times
I worked at a company where the employees spent way too much time talking about each other. They were petty and backstabbing. I got in trouble multiple times for spending too long in the bathroom. When I was diagnosed with Crohn's later on, they all felt bad for being a bunch of insensitive jerks.
My opinion is to mind your own business unless their actions directly affect you. Otherwise, keep quiet and focus on your own job.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:48 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley View Post
I have a question: I work with someone who takes, up too (and no it's not a joke) 30 minutes in the bathroom twice a day..that's a full hour in the bathroom. This person then goes for an hour lunch - so two hours gone..and comes in late every day....how is this fair to the rest of us? Just curious if there are any HR or managers on here - besides coming in late, has anyone dealt with someone who goes to the bathroom for LONG periods of time and how to deal with this?
Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this
This person probably has some medical condition that they have cleared away with their supervisor or manager.Either way...someone from higher up knows about it.You don't know what their business is because it's none of yours.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:41 AM

414 posts, read 359,789 times
It would be nice if the OP would come back and provide more specifics. The big question is if OP has to take on extra work because of their co-worker's frequent bathroom breaks. If so, then they have every reason to be annoyed assuming it's not because of a legitimate medical issue. Even if it is because of a legitimate medical issue that person should put in extra time before or after regular work hours. Perhaps the co-worker is putting in extra time - we don't know since the OP didn't specify. If the OP's workload is not impacted then I guess they should mind their own business.

I'm starting to wonder if the "mind your own damn business" crowd are not a bunch of slackers themselves who are fine with offloading work onto others. I've been negatively impacted by a slacker in the past so I'm still giving the OP the benefit of the doubt. OTOH, I had another slacker co-worker who was very good at gaming the system and though her actions did add to my workload, I looked very good compared to her. However, in that case management was on to her for a very long time and it was just taking them a while to build a case to fire her.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:04 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I suspect far more time is wasted by employees who shop online and surf the web at their desks than by those who spend what appears to be too much time in the bathroom.

I don't agree with you, either. If "ratting" is actually justified, for example, someone who is lying, stealing, cooking the books, or harassing other employees, then yes, I would much rather work with people who would speak up about it than with those who consent to such behavior via their silence.
Obviously, if there are illegal activities going on, that's a different situation than spying on someone taking a dump. I didn't think I had to clarify that, and I think it goes without saying.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:06 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times
Is their work not getting done? Are you picking up their work due to their bathroom breaks?

A lot of people don't spend their entire 8 hours working, especially in an office setting. I could do my job in 5 hours or less, but I am here for 9. I spend a lot of time trying to find things to do to keep busy. And don't get me wrong, I don't like slackers. I had slackers in my previous job and it drove me crazy.They sat around with their shoes kicked off and talked on the phone. I started to focus on myself and learned to let it go because those people eventually get found out

I just don't think bathroom breaks are enough to worry about if their job is still getting done up to standards. Crap happens.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:50 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy53420 View Post
Well since it’s my business what does it matter???

Don’t recall asking for your opinion jazz!!
Ummm you posted an opinion on an internet forum. You're going to get opinions back. If you don't want comments, then don't post on an internet forum because that's how they work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment