Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 02:02 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,776,026 times

Advertisements

The job I started last Monday had their orientation for new employees today. And one of their rules is if you get a part-time job you have to report to them. Really? Anyone know when this started? As my grandmom would say if she was still alive, "I never heard of such a thing"

Every job I had since 2002 has never required me to report side employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 02:14 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,254,447 times
Probably to ensure there is no conflict of interest, no potential for unauthorized use of full-time employer's proprietary information, processes, etc., no issues of poaching clients of your full-time employer, no potential for embarrassment to your full-time employer, or to avoid other potential problems that might create a headache for your full-time employer.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:14 PM

789 posts, read 785,293 times
The only issue I see with this is if the side job is with a competitor (some employers have their employees sign a non-compete though) or if it impacts your production at your current job. If the side job is not impacting your current job I don't see why your employer would need to know. Many people work full time and have side jobs without their employers knowing.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Slugger View Post
The only issue I see with this is if the side job is with a competitor (some employers have their employees sign a non-compete though) or if it impacts your production at your current job. If the side job is not impacting your current job I don't see why your employer would need to know. Many people work full time and have side jobs without their employers knowing.

I didn't think it was any of their business what you did on the days you are not scheduled to work.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:20 PM

6,482 posts, read 9,866,408 times
Many of the companies I have worked for require this, to ensure I'm not working for a competitor.

I had no problem telling any of them about my installs I did on the side.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:23 PM

10,640 posts, read 12,203,446 times
This new job is a gov't job right? (or no?)

Gov'ts (municipal, state or fed) have ethics concerns about the possibility of conflict of interest.
Of course, that doesn't stop the really high rollers from having their own side corruption deals going.
But there is supposed to be an ethics policy that's followed.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:26 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,811,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I didn't think it was any of their business what you did on the days you are not scheduled to work.
They don't, in that specific narrow sense, but they can indirectly limit your working competitively or in conflict (as above) or in industries that could lead to complicated issues (bartending, working in the weed industry because of federal-law conflicts, etc.)

And some extend that to moral issues - certain businesses may not want you working as a bartender, stripper, etc. whether that's legally defensible or not. A lot of businesses take a legal right in these areas and let it sprawl a bit into protected/illegal areas.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
This new job is a gov't job right? (or no?)

Gov'ts (municipal, state or fed) have ethics concerns about the possibility of conflict of interest.
Of course, that doesn't stop the really high rollers from having their own side corruption deals going.
But there is supposed to be an ethics policy that's followed.

No the one I am waiting to hear back from but yes the govt job has the same rule but it's not a big deal because the pay is $15,000 higher and the healthcare is much better. This job healthcare is very expensive and have a nerve to want to know where you are working. Well pay me more and I won't have to find a side job to make up for the high health care cost.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:59 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,227,738 times
My (private employer) job has required this for at least 20 years. They are mainly concerned with conflict of interest.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:06 PM

12,914 posts, read 9,172,436 times
Never had a professional job that didn't want to know about side jobs due to potential conflict of interest or protection of proprietary information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment