Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 09:12 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
Without knowing what those jobs are, I wouldn't roll out of bed for either. I'll remain at home, sitting on my sofa while watching Spongebob. I'd keep looking for something better. Pay and the hours sound awfully similar to the crap I came across in Texas. That state's economy thrives on cheap labor.
You realize that the majority of the country makes $18 or less? Don't be that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 09:30 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,191,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
You realize that the majority of the country makes $18 or less? Don't be that way.
Majority, my ass! The majority of places I've lived offered livable wages compared to junk like stated in the OP. Maybe the majority of your knowledge comes from those red states whose economies thrive on borderline slave labor.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:33 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,399 times
Quote:
They are both LPN jobs in an assisted living facility that is run like a small group home, 8-10 beds.

The benefits are about the same. They are really good, lots of pto, low cost insurance, etc

The OT availability will never end. The criteria for getting hired is really strict and they don't have a ton of applicants and of those, not all pass the extensive background checks.

Like I said, job A doesn't let you get a second job.

She actually does sustain working 60-80 hours a week. She's been doing it for a couple years. It's not as hard as you think bc these jobs have a lot of down time. I worked 91 hours a week for 4.5 years.

She should take job A and never look back.That seems like the better deal out of the 2.When does she have to make her decision?

Old 10-21-2017, 09:35 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,191,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Well $18/hr isn't bad in certain areas of Texas. As long as you don't live in the overpriced cities.
CoL is steadily rising in that state and companies don't want to hike up their wages. They'll cry to the politicians for more laxxed laws regarding wages and what not but will not address the real issues at hand. Bell Helicopter Textron is notorious for offering junk wages and hiring H1-B visa holders, and paying them even worse wages compared to their counterparts at Boeing, Lockheed Martin, and Northrop Grumman. When it comes time for a major promotion, those workers are laid off, and the newer, lesser paid workers are hired, and repeat the vicious cycle. Texas is pro-business but anti-workforce as can be. Glad I left that state. I won't ever return unless it's for a connecting flight.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:39 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Is the additional OT mandatory or by choice? Mandatory would be a dealbreaker for me, but then again, so would constant last-minute schedule changes. Neither one sounds like a dream situation.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:41 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,239,240 times
Quote:
Are you looking at RN bc that's high for an lpn. That's like 65k. Lpn is closer to 40k.

Nurse Salary by State - Nurse Salary Guide
I checked again, and you are correct. My mistake, I was looking at the wrong chart. It shows LPN average hourly rate for the same market to be $20.49.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Is the additional OT mandatory or by choice? Mandatory would be a dealbreaker for me, but then again, so would constant last-minute schedule changes. Neither one sounds like a dream situation.
Job A has mandated OT but they have less available and go by seniority so a new worker is lucky to get 8 hours bc people jump on it.

Job B doesn't mandate but they have a few locations within a few miles so there's always available hours.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
Majority, my ass! The majority of places I've lived offered livable wages compared to junk like stated in the OP. Maybe the majority of your knowledge comes from those red states whose economies thrive on borderline slave labor.
She actually lives in a blue state- Illinois.

I mean, we can debate how things should be but I'm presenting what things are for her.

She has a healthy savings. It's just the student loans that are killing her. She has no other debt. If she could pay the loans off, she'd be fine on 35-40k/year.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:26 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Job A has mandated OT but they have less available and go by seniority so a new worker is lucky to get 8 hours bc people jump on it.

Job B doesn't mandate but they have a few locations within a few miles so there's always available hours.

So, if I am understanding correctly, job A pays more per hour, but requires OT and has lots of scheduling changes, and job B pays a bit less, offers plenty of OT, but does not require any?

What about other benefits? Also, does she have any information about what sort of raises both jobs give later on?

Old 10-21-2017, 10:29 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I would take the higher base.

I doubt your cousin really works 80 hours a week. Many people claim crazy things like this, but few actually do it. That would be 11.5 hours a day, 7 days a week. Add in 30 minutes for unpaid lunch, assume no dinner, and throw in 30 minutes of commute and you are at 12.5 hours a day. Every single day.

When do you do grocery shopping and laundry?
Worked 16 hours a day 6 days a week for almost 4 years, you pay your best friends daughter to clean your apartment and do your laundry one day a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment