Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 09:18 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times

Advertisements

You're probably been off this track for a while, but my friends are specialty doctors and make in excess of 300K a year.

They live well, but not lavishly, and all of the $ they save goes into investments. Businesses on the side, real estate, interest collecting ventures.

If they lived even more simply, they could all probably retire by age 50 to 55.

The irony to your question is that most people who have the means to retire early (those friends mentioned above), rarely do. They may retire from medicine, but will start alternate ventures and may even work more hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 09:32 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElusiveOne1 View Post
Other than the police force, firefighting, and anything involving the military, that is? I prefer a job where I don't have to interact with people much, or an office job...
A lot of government jobs. Teacher, postal worker, etc. (But of course, you don't have Social Security; they have separate retirement vehicles.)

Old 10-23-2017, 11:22 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
A lot of government jobs. Teacher, postal worker, etc. (But of course, you don't have Social Security; they have separate retirement vehicles.)
That isn’t really true. In my old state, you either had to have 30 years or be able to take social security (62) for most government positions that were not high risk. The high risk ones like firefighter, law enforcement/corrections officer were the only one that had 20-year full retirement options.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:15 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
another person who doesn't know anything about federal retirement.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:32 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Find something that you love doing and you will not need to retire. My plan is to work into my 80's or 90's. As it is I get over 5 weeks of vacation a year and never take it. I end up cashing it out so that I don't lose it.

Earlier this year I remember hearing about a man that past away at age 104 I think. He had worked to 92 I think. Wrote a book about living a long life that became a best seller. Even in retirement he did not stop doing something. His thoughts were that the more you stay busy and active the longer you will live.

My parents next door neighbor when I was growing up, retired from his job at age 55. He had started his own business and ran that for 30 years, until he past away. His wife is 102 although she does live in an assisted living facility now. She had been doing the same thing she did her entire life. Still owns her home, but rents it out, also owns rental property that her son and daughter manager for her.

My advice, find something that you love and do it for years. Don't plan on retiring although prepare for retirement.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:32 PM

588 posts, read 463,036 times
Got a friend that died a couple of weeks ago.

He was 63

And had a glorious pension as a cop for thirty five years. Plus knowing him...he saved

I suspect he was a millionaire without the pension. Certainly a millionaire 3 x over if he had lived.

I don't know why he did not take the pension at 20 years.

Guess he wasn't a lazy person. Worked himself to death.

You sound like you are a lazy person.

Officer rest in peace, you deserve it.

Be very careful what you wish for.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:55 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
You're probably been off this track for a while, but my friends are specialty doctors and make in excess of 300K a year.

They live well, but not lavishly, and all of the $ they save goes into investments. Businesses on the side, real estate, interest collecting ventures.

If they lived even more simply, they could all probably retire by age 50 to 55.

The irony to your question is that most people who have the means to retire early (those friends mentioned above), rarely do. They may retire from medicine, but will start alternate ventures and may even work more hours.
Yep. Friend of mine is a development architect, a fairly high-end IT Position yet still tactical where needed. My peers; I'm a principal PM, major projects to c. $5M at this time. About same level of authority.

We are paid beer money next to his wife, who is I believe an endocrinologist. She must be pretty good, she bills her time here and there between a couple hospitals in greater Seattle. The money sounds like what OP mentions. My friend refuses to stress about much, he somehow finagled about 8 months off the other year and chose his current job. Likeable guy and brilliant. They invent things in their spare time, because busy minds have to roam.

I figure they'll work another ten years, when they're both about fifty. Figure I'm in it until 60. That's as short a short-cut as I can do and still not leave significant money on the table.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:56 PM

36 posts, read 28,112 times
Not social work if you don't want to work with people!

Old 10-23-2017, 09:02 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,041 times
If such jobs were easy to find we would all have one!

Old 10-23-2017, 09:13 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Wardall View Post
Not social work if you don't want to work with people!
Same thing with the suggestion of "teacher". As far as retiring "early", not so much. New college grads in my district will need to work 43 years for unreduced retirement assuming they start at age 22. I've been around longer and will be eligible for unreduced pensions after 33 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment