Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 02:13 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times

Advertisements

You can do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 02:14 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
I don't know why I'm so nervous to call. Guess I don't want him to say no...I mean I did leave so I would get it. It would just suck cause I still really like everyone there

I applaud you for taking the initiative to acknowledge the jitters, Now go make that call with the understanding that you have some good experience to bring back to the job Best to you, I hope it works out.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:15 PM

560 posts, read 453,180 times
So I called and dialed his ext. there was no answer so he might be out of the office because he's not suppose to be in Friday either. I left him a message that was "Hi (his name), it's (my name) I was calling because I have something I would like to discuss with you. Feel free to call me back my number is Xxx-xxx-xxxx or you can email me if that's easier. Again no rush just something I would like to discuss with you. I hope your having a great day and it's not rainy in Maryland like it is in Pittsburgh"

Should I follow up with an email tomorrow afternoon?

Old 11-01-2017, 02:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Hi,

So as I posted before I had moved to PA from MD. I've been through 2 jobs here and I'm currently at job #3 for 2 months. I found out today that my old job in MD is open as the girl they hired to replace me did not work out. I know they are doing interviews sometime within the next week or two. I wanted to follow up in person but that is not an option right now.

Should I call and leave him a voicemail expressing the want to return? I could also email him. I'm just not sure which is the best way to go about it. Not sure if I should email and follow up with a call or call and follow up with an email.

Any advice?
Call, and if you don't get him live don't leave a message saying you want your job back.

Talk, you left on good terms. You could even say you regret leaving MD in addition to wanting your old job back.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Call, and if you don't get him live don't leave a message saying you want your job back.

Talk, you left on good terms. You could even say you regret leaving MD in addition to wanting your old job back.
I didn't say I wanted my job back. My message was "Hi (his name), it's (my name) I was calling because I have something I would like to discuss with you. Feel free to call me back my number is Xxx-xxx-xxxx or you can email me if that's easier. Again no rush just something I would like to discuss with you. I hope your having a great day and it's not rainy in Maryland like it is in Pittsburgh"

Old 11-01-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
So I called and dialed his ext. there was no answer so he might be out of the office because he's not suppose to be in Friday either. I left him a message that was "Hi (his name), it's (my name) I was calling because I have something I would like to discuss with you. Feel free to call me back my number is Xxx-xxx-xxxx or you can email me if that's easier. Again no rush just something I would like to discuss with you. I hope your having a great day and it's not rainy in Maryland like it is in Pittsburgh"

Should I follow up with an email tomorrow afternoon?
Just saw your comment, you did OK but I wouldn't have said " no rush", because you don't know where they are in the hiring process.

I wouldn't do an email after saying "no rush" because it contradicts what you said on your VM. Is there anyone else in the office you can talk to live? A former coworker even who can maybe assist in getting the word out that you're interested in returning?

Old 11-01-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Just saw your comment, you did OK but I wouldn't have said " no rush", because you don't know where they are in the hiring process.

I wouldn't do an email after saying "no rush" because it contradicts what you said on your VM. Is there anyone else in the office you can talk to live? A former coworker even who can maybe assist in getting the word out that you're interested in returning?
I still talk to both the co workers and I am coming in Friday to see them. He just won't be in. Would it be a good idea to write a letter and leave it on his desk Friday if I haven't heard back?

I was nervous and didn't want him to feel pressured to call back right away. I thought the no rush was okay at the time

Old 11-01-2017, 02:31 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Don't worry, I think your message was fine. He will know somethings up with the message you left and if he can bring you back and wants you back, you will hear from him in the near future. Keep us updated.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I still talk to both the co workers and I am coming in Friday to see them. He just won't be in. Would it be a good idea to write a letter and leave it on his desk Friday if I haven't heard back?

I was nervous and didn't want him to feel pressured to call back right away. I thought the no rush was okay at the time
Than I would mention it to your coworkers that you want to come back. You can probably get him on the phone(sounds like he is off on Friday) and just tell like it is. You're not happy in MD and you would like your old job back as you saw that it is open.

You didn't do anything wrong, you left on good terms, they clearly like you. Believe me. I did this myself years ago and got the job back. I actually went in person and said I made a mistake leaving, got my old job back, did two weeks notice at the current job, and came back. Sure it was a little awkward, but being happy to be back outweighed any embarrassment.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Than I would mention it to your coworkers that you want to come back. You can probably get him on the phone(sounds like he is off on Friday) and just tell like it is. You're not happy in MD and you would like your old job back as you saw that it is open.

You didn't do anything wrong, you left on good terms, they clearly like you. Believe me. I did this myself years ago and got the job back. I actually went in person and said I made a mistake leaving, got my old job back, did two weeks notice at the current job, and came back. Sure it was a little awkward, but being happy to be back outweighed any embarrassment.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.
I was thinking maybe I should talk to them about it on Friday when I see them. Is the letter a good idea if I haven't heard back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment