Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2017, 11:40 PM

144 posts, read 129,552 times

Advertisements

I am currently in two business relationships that you could say are a little puzzling. I am hoping you could translate them for me.

1.) My manager at my most recent employer. He became my manager during my final months at this company when my previous manager left. He was a pleasant enough person, but he never really fought for my promotion when dealing with the higher-ups. My contract eventually ran out and the higher-ups let go of me and a few others. But here's where it gets weird: this manager is now reaching out to me more than he ever did before and says he has been recommending me for a couple of positions at the company.

Why the newfound support, that seemingly never existed before? I'm no longer tied to the company. Do they realize they may have erred, or is this former manager diligent about putting up an act?

2.) A supervisor I worked with for a couple of years. We have a great working relationship, and kept in touch even when he found work elsewhere. Good mentor and someone I could go to for advice. When I was let go from the company mentioned earlier, he said he had my back and would be happy to serve as a reference. Soon after, I received an offer from a company that was right up my alley (my former supervisor doesn't work there, but he knew I was applying to this company). I turned it down - the salary they were offering was too much of a pay cut for me to accept. Everything else was a plus, but they downplayed my salary questions until I saw it in the formal offer sheet. The company understood...but my former supervisor seems to have cut me off. I've e-mailed him a few times since - he used to reply quickly, but he hasn't replied to a single one of these recent e-mails.

For someone who was once so supportive of me, why would this be such a deal breaker? I would think he could understand that taking a considerable paycut AND moving to an extremely expensive city at the same time is an understandable concern.

Two different situations, both of which I can't full understand. What do you make of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 03:57 PM

Any thoughts? Situation #1 just doesn't feel right. He has a voice in the room when promotions in our department are brought up. Despite him being impressed with what I have worked on, all the clues suggest he never pushed for my promotion in those meetings. He wasn't one to reach out to me regarding one-on-one check-in meetings (we met regularly because I would ping his e-mail each week to set them up) and knew when my contract would end. Now that I'm out, he all of a sudden cares? Hmm. Situation #2 appears petty. I've known this supervisor/mentor for years, always had a great relationship, but turning down an offer (from a company he doesn't even work at) that included a significant pay cut is the deal-breaker?

Old 11-20-2017, 04:17 PM

674 posts, read 609,143 times
Nobody here is a mind reader, to know what your ex-bosses are thinking. Might as well divine the sex of angels...

Old 11-20-2017, 04:29 PM

4,242 posts, read 948,192 times
No idea, but could be that:

1) Your former manager felt badly that you were let go, wished he had done more to support your potential promotion, and is now trying to make it up to you.

2) Your mentor's lack of communication may have nothing to do with your turning down the job offer (I assume you filled him in on this - otherwise, how would he know?) but maybe there's a family crisis or he is inundated in his own position right now. I don't know why he would care if you declined a job because it didn't meet your salary requirements. If it were me, I'd just email him, thank him for his help, and say that you look forward to talking again some day, and let him make the next move. Maybe he's getting out the mentoring business - hard to know.

Good luck.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:16 PM

#1 sounds right. It's too bad he didn't offer that same support while I was working there, considering he has a voice in the room when it comes to who gets promoted.

#2 possibly. I did fill him in on the position and have sent a couple of e-mails since turning down the offer explaining my rationale and thanking him for his support. No response. He does know a couple of people at that company, so maybe he feels he put in a good word and my turning it down is somehow a reflection on him. He did e-mail me hours before I received the offer asking if I received any news yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
No idea, but could be that:

1) Your former manager felt badly that you were let go, wished he had done more to support your potential promotion, and is now trying to make it up to you.

2) Your mentor's lack of communication may have nothing to do with your turning down the job offer (I assume you filled him in on this - otherwise, how would he know?) but maybe there's a family crisis or he is inundated in his own position right now. I don't know why he would care if you declined a job because it didn't meet your salary requirements. If it were me, I'd just email him, thank him for his help, and say that you look forward to talking again some day, and let him make the next move. Maybe he's getting out the mentoring business - hard to know.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment