Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2017, 08:43 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times

Advertisements

The worst I can think of to date was that I was at a call center (previous job that ultimately didn't work out, more because I was introverted rather than tech skills (in fact, my tech skills actually got me my next job that I have now)) and I was supposed to get an interpreter so that we (I was doing the tech part and my trainer was doing the call part at the time) could have them interpret the call. Being very new, I was under the mistaken impression that we were supposed to send them to the interpreter for them to handle it (actually we were supposed to get them to translate for us and then proceed as normally). However, I hit the wrong button and instead sent them to tech support.

(Imagine tech support answering and a guy starts talking to them in Spanish, thinking they are an interpreter. The thought of that still makes me laugh hard, looking back, just picturing the expressions on both the caller's face and the guys at tech support. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 09:09 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times
I make no mistakes.

Signed,
All of C-D.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:50 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Oh geez, I've made several really stupid mistakes at various points in my career at a couple of different jobs.

One of the most expensive ones I did was when I was a brand new machine set-up technician back in 1992 when I was all of 22 years old :

I had about 1 week of training instead of the 3 months because the guy training me had a heart attack and of course was off work for an indeterminate time period. The machines that I was being trained on were cold forming machines which use a series of progressive dies to form steel into components. Depending on the particular job that needed to be setup, a changeover could take between 4-12 hours. Did I mention that the set up of the dies and alignment of the transfer is very sensitive?

Anyhow, my company had new business from Toyota and we were all excited. The component was a lug nut and we had only one set of dies to work with since it was a trial run. The Toyota set up was so different that it was a 12 hour job, and had been started by the guy on the prior shift. I was nervous as hell about it but was getting all kinds of pressure about getting it done and getting it running. So I got it together and kept double checking stuff...but not the alignment.

One thing to know about coldformers is that if you don't set the dies and pins right, they will blow up on you and will need to be sent out to be repaired. You can also damage the entire transfer housing as well if this is not aligned.

Guess what happened when I started it up? *BOOM!* I saw shrapnel flying out from the chamber where the dies were housed and my stomach just turned. It made it worse because the supervisor, plant manager, and operations manager were all standing there. I did $8,500 worth of damage that day.

Surprisingly, I kept my job and they realized that maybe a week of training was not enough.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:34 AM

95 posts, read 89,361 times
Was working as a service sales rep(delivery plus pick up with upsales). I was driving down the road with my trainer and hear clank! I had hit a road sign and cracked the mirror...on my second week of work.The vehicles are the exact same size as fed ex. Needless to say I didn't pass the month long training.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 AM

45,399 posts, read 60,592,880 times
In retrospect staying for 30+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment