Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2017, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,588 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, but have used it before to read different posts and found it very useful. I am looking for an insight from other people on my situation. I have recently started a new part time job in a small company helpin the bookkeeper. The job is what many people would find boring, but I am just thankful for the learning opportunity after being stay at home mom. I perform data entry all day long and I don’t really have a chance to talk to anyone, but again I don’t mind as I need to focus on all the numbers I work with daily and I am trying to do a good job and not make mistakes. The problem is the the office managers’ behavior. I have been out of workforce for a while and try to figure out if this is normal in today’s workplace. My job is 8 am to 2 pm and at the interview I absolutely made it clear that this is what I can do as of right now. My second week at the job they called me in the office and told me I have to extend my hours till 5 pm on Few days of the week. I told them several times I am picking up my twins at 2.30pm and the next day they ask me this.Also he is pressuring me to work on Saturday but not just here and there, he said I have to commit to working every Saturday. There was something weird about this whole thing, he was asking me to get faster quickly eventhough I only have been doing the task for three days. He had another employee sit behind me and time me while I work and then they were whispering about me right behind my back. The training was basically non existent. They want me to perform more tasks than what they talked about in the interview. I don’t mind working hard but I feel daily preassure to stay longer than what I can do due to children pick up. I don’t mind constructive criticism but this was vague and not clear what they really want. I am part time and don’t accumulate any vacation so when I asked how it works if I need a day off there was no answer. I mentioned I will need couple of days off for a wedding in the summer and again I got silent treatment.. I don’t need any time off now I just wanted to give them enough notice. I am not a quitter and feel like in new job one need to give it Time, however, I just see this trend developing of how they are going to treat me down the road. Anyways sorry for the long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 02:10 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Default Bad Management

It sounds like you are being taken advantage of and not being respected. Are you an hourly employee so that if you work more than the allotted hours you get paid for them?

Them monitoring you, whispering behind your back, and ignoring your requirements sound like intimidation to me. Having this kind of garbage in the workplace is becoming more prevalent. However, this is still indecent and destroys management's credibility.

If you need the job then you will just have to put up with it. If you want to stand up and speak out, then request a meeting and lay out that you have to pick up your children at a certain time, and what part of that don't they understand?

If you are not being paid for the extra time, then you need to get out of there fast.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,588 times
Thank you for taking time to respond. This is hourly position and they do pay me for the hours I work. It is just that their new expectations of my availability are different from what they initially presented. If they were honest at the beginning I would have declined the offer. My husband just tells me to quit and keep looking for something that fits our schedule. It is just disappointing. It seems like they hired part time where in fact they need full time for the amount of work they have.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:07 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou45 View Post
Thank you for taking time to respond. This is hourly position and they do pay me for the hours I work. It is just that their new expectations of my availability are different from what they initially presented. If they were honest at the beginning I would have declined the offer. My husband just tells me to quit and keep looking for something that fits our schedule. It is just disappointing. It seems like they hired part time where in fact they need full time for the amount of work they have.
You are very welcome. Yes, your management is not honest. But at least they pay you for your extra time. Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:19 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,479 times
I would ask for a meeting and tell them just what you said above. That you would have declined the offer. Tell them that unless they can conform to the hours they hired you under you will need to leave. If they start trying to make you put your job before your family this early in the job it's a bad sign.
As far as having someone monitor your working speed, they can't expect a new employee to operate at the same speed as a "old hand".
Good luck, I hope you find a job that meets your needs.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:39 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
Lou45 -- Hello and welcome! Since they are asking you to work more hours than you had agreed to, and also on Saturdays, I am guessing this will not work out. If the hours were stated to be M-F at the interview and they are trying to force you to work Saturdays, this is a big problem.

Good luck -- I hope you are able to find something that works out better for you.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:25 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,925 times
To me, I read the company's actions as they want you to quit. If you quit, they won't have to pay for unemployment.

It's a part-time job with people that aren't very nice to you. I hope you find a better job soon

Old 11-27-2017, 12:38 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
I once was timed at a job, but the "Timer" was very open and had good reason for such.

Sounds like they lied on what they expected. This leaves you with 2 choices, stand firm or find another job, because they'll probably be trying to shove you out of it soon....

Old 11-27-2017, 12:56 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Start looking for another job. The best time to find a job is when you have one.

Keep in mind the fact that if you regularly work over 30 hours you are entitled to health insurance.

Do you have anything written (like the job recruiting advert) that states the hours they wished the employee to work? Often changing the hours is a change in working conditions such that unemployment insurance would not be denied.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:10 PM

119 posts, read 68,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
To me, I read the company's actions as they want you to quit. If you quit, they won't have to pay for unemployment.

It's a part-time job with people that aren't very nice to you. I hope you find a better job soon
I have been in 2 situations where the employer tries to get the employee to quit so they do not have to pay unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment