Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:02 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,836,810 times

Advertisements

Anyone in this career field or know anything about it? Please share your experience! Thank you.

Last edited by FromTN2A2; 06-11-2012 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 11:50 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,495,169 times
I'm a recently graduated, yet to be employed, Respiratory Therapist (RRT). I did a sleep lab rotation, so I'll tell you what I know.

Polysomnography is a specialty field within respiratory care There are a couple of different ways to get into the field so I will tell you about the pathway that I am familar with. In order to be a sleep tech, you first must become a respiratory therapist, plus pass at least one board exam to be a Certified Respiratory Therapist, (CRT), and then pass two more board exams to be a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT). The exam matrix is changing in 2015 to just 2 exams to become a basic RRT.

There is then a specialty board exam for sleep disorders. I believe that you must work in a sleep lab for a year to be eligible. Information about the exams can be found at: Home and about the profession at American Association for Respiratory Care

The sleep lab rotation is interesting. You monitor the patient and their vitals, and brain waves all throughout the night. At the end, you evaluate the number of apnea events in an hour to determine if the patient has sleep apnea. I did find it rather monotonous to watch these all night long. It's very quiet, and hard to stay awake. (Of course, I had class all on top of this too.)

After a patient has been diagnosed with sleep apnea, they return for another night of monitoring at the sleep lab. This time, they are given a selection of apparatus to ensure their airways remain open while they are asleep. Obstructive sleep apnea is the most common, and often CPAP machines are used. The fit of the mask is the biggest challenge. If it doesn't fit properly, and the patient doesn't find it comfortable, they will not use it.

There are some jobs around for this. Most pay rather well. It's not a field that I'm pursuing as I tend to be very people oriented and feel my skills would be better utilized in a different setting of respiratory care.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:11 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,836,810 times
Hmmm interesting. Thank you for the info and best wishes in finding a job! I wouldn't mind getting certified in it although it certainly would not be my main source of income.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:32 AM

65 posts, read 253,367 times
How much free time do you have on the job?

Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,838,481 times
I was going into that field, but fell asleep during the first class.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
I was going into that field, but fell asleep during the first class.
Do you happen to know how much free time you have on the job?

Old 11-29-2012, 02:32 AM

Quote:
In order to be a sleep tech, you first must become a respiratory therapist, plus pass at least one board exam to be a Certified Respiratory Therapist, (CRT), and then pass two more board exams to be a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT).
How long time does it take you to graduate and pass the exams and what are the costs?

Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
Anyone in this career field or know anything about it? Please share your experience! Thank you.
I know the techs who monitor people (polysomnography) for sleep apnea can make around $15-$20 an hour, however, I do not know how much schooling/training they often have to get to that position. I knew an acquaintance who already had an LPN (nursing) degree and some years of nursing experience behind her in order to get into the field. If I recall correctly, she had worked the night shift, which was like 8 pm to 6 am. I feel personally working those types of hours is hard to do, but I would imagine most of them work at night instead of days given the nature of their job.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 PM

Do they have lots of time to read at night?

Old 12-31-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
In order to be a sleep tech, you first must become a respiratory therapist, plus pass at least one board exam to be a Certified Respiratory Therapist, (CRT), and then pass two more board exams to be a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT).
Do you need some kind of nursing degree first? 2 year nursing degree? 4 year nursing degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment