Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:23 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,772,904 times

Advertisements

Here's a little background:

I work in a 35-year old company. Very stable, great benefits. I have accrued 5 weeks of vacation time and have money saved in a 401k. I make a little less than 60k and get salary increases of 2-3% each year.

Here's the issue: I have worked in the same position (the only one I've had here) for almost 7 years. My supervisor is at retirement age, but doesn't seem in any hurry to retire. Her boss, who's the department head, is a little younger than her.

The good with my position: No tight deadlines, a good deal of downtime throughout the year when things are slow, and I get along with coworkers, most of whom are 20+ years older than me. The day ends at 6:00 and walking out at 5:59 isn't frowned upon.

The bad: There's no room for growth. I feel I have outgrown the position. My skills aren't being fully utilized. Red tape and resistance to change prevent me from putting my creative stamp on things. Sometimes I feel like I'm only here to assist and make my boss look good. She gives me the more mundane maintenance-oriented projects while taking on the newer ones. I have asked her if I could assume more challenging projects, but she's averse to relinquishing control and thinks she's the only one who can do them. She's technologically illiterate and I have not learned a whole lot from her in the 6 years I've been here. It's obvious she and her boss, both of whom are control freaks, aren't concerned much about my growth. The department has a very "old school" feel to it, as only 4 of us are in our 30s and the rest are in their 50s and 60s. After 6 years, I thought I would at least have "Senior" in my title. A promotion is hard to come by in this department. Last year, a lady literally had to say "promote me or I'm gone," and that's how she got it. But she has been here 20+ years.

I have been looking around for a year or two now, but I've only applied for a handful of jobs I sense might be a great fit.(I haven't found any good opportunities outside this department in my current company.) After all, even though the job is severely stifling my creativity, it's still laid-back, and the company is stable. I won't leave unless I find something that knocks my socks off. It's also going to hurt to lose 5 weeks of PTO, but at least the company lets you cash out at 100%.

I have a phone interview scheduled for next week with a VP at an 18-year-old company. Based on the first phone interview I had with HR, it seems I could increase my salary by roughly 30% if I'm offered the job. Of course, the tradeoff is that I would be working a lot harder. The role seems similar to the one my boss has at my current employer; instead of helping someone do the big projects, I would be handling them myself. They also offer better benefits than I'm getting here (cheaper healthcare, tuition reimbursement, etc.).

It's early in the game -- I have yet to be interviewed in person -- but my gut tells me I have a good chance of getting the job.
While the prospect of leaving for something new is exciting, change is most certainly scary. I'm married, I have a mortgage, and my wife and I are thinking of starting a family next year.

Life is good as it is now, but I've gotten far too comfortable here. The work doesn't excite me because the bosses want to stick to doing things the same way they have for 25 years. In a way, I feel as if I'm selling myself short by not going for something that will better utilize my skills. At the same time, I realize the risk involved. In my 20s, I quit two jobs that wound up being poor fits.

If I don't take a chance, I'll always be left wondering. But if it doesn't work out, I may kick myself for leaving a stress-free job. Some of my coworkers have told me that while they're thankful to be going on 20+ years in this department, they know they could have progressed a lot faster in their careers had they left at some point. There's no telling what will happen once my boss finally retires.

What's your opinion? Have you been in a similar situation?

Last edited by Wordsmith12; 12-08-2017 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 09:43 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
Have you talked this over with your wife? This is a decision that should be made by both of you. You know that if you want to advance in your career you need to leave. If you stay you will need to do something that will keep your skills current.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:03 AM

414 posts, read 359,278 times
Tough decision for sure. A few suggestions / thoughts which might have already crossed your mind:

- Has the potential other job mentioned anything about growth opportunities in the future?
- How much tuition reimbursement do they offer, would you take advantage of it and what hoops would you have to jump through in order to obtain it? Fewer companies offer that perk these days and it’s essentially additional income if you do take advantage of it.
- What’s the vibe you’re getting from the management? Also, do you get to meet with peers? If so, ask them their thoughts on the management since management has the potential to put in a good front for candidates even if they are actually sadistic slave-drivers. Don’t be afraid to ask - when I had an awful boss, a candidate once point blank asked my colleagues and I (without the boss in the room) our honest thoughts on her. We didn’t say anything bad, but the awkward silence was deafening. He turned down the offer and I wonder if that had something to do with it.
- Also ask potential peers about work/life balance although you already seem to have some insight on that since you mentioned it probably won’t be as good as what you’ve got now.
- Does the employer or management offer any formal career guidance / development (or inquire about it if you don’t already know).
- Interview them as much as they’re interviewing you - you’re not desperate to get out of your current situation so in a way you have the upper hand.
- If you haven’t done so already, check Glassdoor to see if there are any reviews written by employees.

Good luck!

Old 12-08-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Have you talked this over with your wife? This is a decision that should be made by both of you. You know that if you want to advance in your career you need to leave. If you stay you will need to do something that will keep your skills current.
Yes, I have. She tends to be risk-averse like I am. She is a teacher and plans to remain one her whole life, so she isn't exactly the ambitious type who would encourage someone to jump ship after a few years. She recognizes I work for a good company and has told me to think this through very carefully. She hasn't forgotten that I quit two jobs in my early 20s that turned out to be poor fits and wants to make sure I don't make that mistake again.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:37 AM

844 posts, read 2,019,477 times
One thing to consider, I find when I stop being challenged in a job, my performance goes downhill because I'm just not interested anymore. Which can lead to have to look for a new job anyway! Better to look and leave before you start to feel bad about how you're doing and have confidence of good work to drive you to the next job!

Old 12-08-2017, 10:44 AM

See answers below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicle Dweller View Post
Tough decision for sure. A few suggestions / thoughts which might have already crossed your mind:

- Has the potential other job mentioned anything about growth opportunities in the future?

Not yet, but I intend to ask.

- How much tuition reimbursement do they offer, would you take advantage of it and what hoops would you have to jump through in order to obtain it? Fewer companies offer that perk these days and it’s essentially additional income if you do take advantage of it.

I've thought about getting my master's for a few years now and have always said it'd be best to wait until an employer comes along that would help foot the bill. I believe they told me it was 3 or 4k (not sure if it's per term or year). As for what hoops I'd have to jump through, I would have to ask.

- What’s the vibe you’re getting from the management? Also, do you get to meet with peers?

I've only had a phone interview with HR. Next week, I'm having a phone interview with a VP. The HR guy seemed nice on the phone. I've only corresponded with the VP guy via email thus far. I haven't interviewed with anyone in person, so I haven't had the chance to meet with peers.

- Also ask potential peers about work/life balance although you already seem to have some insight on that since you mentioned it probably won’t be as good as what you’ve got now.

I plan to do so.

- Does the employer or management offer any formal career guidance / development (or inquire about it if you don’t already know).

Yep, I plan to ask about that as well.

- Interview them as much as they’re interviewing you - you’re not desperate to get out of your current situation so in a way you have the upper hand.

I always have a list of questions handy. I asked the HR guy several, including whether travel is required, if I would have subordinates, what the benefits are like, and so on.

- If you haven’t done so already, check Glassdoor to see if there are any reviews written by employees.

I checked the ones on Glassdoor and Indeed. They say the company pays well and offers great benefits, but that you'll have to work hard. They also hold several employee events throughout the year (St. Patrick's Day, Halloween, Christmas party, etc.). As someone who isn't big on those kinds of things (introvert), I actually like that my current company limits the number of occasions to one or two each year..

Good luck!

Old 12-08-2017, 10:49 AM

One thing I think I should do is get a feel for the environment when I go in person. Personality-wise, I am more of an introvert. If the job calls for someone more extroverted -- and if the pace is very fast -- I might be better off staying. I need to make sure the culture aligns with my temperament. It's a mortgage servicing company, so we'll see.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:53 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Like you said "If I don't take a chance, I'll always be left wondering" As others said "Interview them back, get the info you need to make an educated choice"

Reminds me of one guy who was at a taxi stand and a woman said "Share the ride?" He replied "No, you're going to other way" She got in the taxi it took off stopped and she opened the door and said "You'll always wonder what would have happened" then left.........He still wondered to this day....

Old 12-08-2017, 11:06 AM

316 posts, read 849,233 times
There is a thought that roughly goes: you spend too much time at your job to be in a job that you don't like.

Do your research before accepting a new job. Keep the door open to the old job.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:41 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I would continue casually looking. It never hurts to keep your eyes open and some lines in the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment