Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2017, 07:41 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times

Advertisements

One thing you can always do is go to work on a straight commission basis. This way the employer has very little risk and you get paid based on what you produce. It is very fair. Furthermore you can get set up as an independent contractor/ 1099 employee so no taxes are taken out.

There are some great books you can read that teach "how to sell" with authors such as Zig Ziglar and Brian Tracy but you can also learn from the employers. Certain industries will teach you better than others will. For example, if you have experience selling yellow pages advertising or have lasted longer than a few years working on straight commission selling insurance, you'll get training and after you have experience under your belt, you can probably sell most anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 08:23 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
How many jobs have you applied for?

Have you considered the military?

I was 23 and on a road to nowhere. I joined the Army. Became a Sergeant in 2 1/2 years and, was appointed as a Hangar Floor Maintenance Supervisor for CH-47D helicopters. I have my own car, bought new, no debt, one semester from finishing college (although i been draggin' ass on that) and decent health. I didn't reenlist aftet 7 years, I figured 3 deployments was enough...

Any professional weakness I have now are the consequences of marrying the wrong woman but, that's a whold different story.

You 22. If you don't got connects or credentials, go military. If you can't run 2 miles yet in less than 16 minutes... now would be a good time to start.
I would not join the military or the police. When you stop and think about it, with any government job you take, your paycheck comes indirectly from stolen money a/k/a taxes which people are forced to pay. The money from which goes to pay for things they would not choose to spend their money on such as unjust foreign wars where innocent civilians who just want to be left alone are killed by our troops who are dumb enough to betray their own morals[ as they would not be harming and killing people if they hadn't signed up for this] and carry out this evil without even realizing what they are doing. Working for the government is a drain on society at minimum.

Not only that, working for the military you sign yourself up to be a guinea pig for all their vaccine experiments. Research how many soldiers come home; never see any action and are sick with "Gulf War Syndrome".

Get a job with a private company that isn't part of the military industrial complex. You want to NOT be on the side of the people who contribute to making things worse. For more info about this look up "Larken Rose on Government" "Larken Rose on Police and Military" Watch this on supporting the military which points out how we all "support the troops" the WRONG WAY.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Odwerv2_k

Old 12-29-2017, 09:40 AM

2,911 posts, read 1,360,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Is there a reason why you could not qualify for financial aid? If you are 22, have worked low paying jobs, and presumably have periods of unemployment lowering your annual earnings even more, you will likely qualify for grants (free money, no need to pay back) that will cover the cost of community college and help with housing.
Where? People hear about "somebody who knows somebody who had their college paid for for free" and they figure it's true for everybody. Well sorry. Most of those fabled government handouts don't exist, or at least they don't in most parts of the U.S.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:53 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Where? People hear about "somebody who knows somebody who had their college paid for for free" and they figure it's true for everybody. Well sorry. Most of those fabled government handouts don't exist, or at least they don't in most parts of the U.S.
Pell Grants can be up to $5920 annually, while average community college tuition is approximately $5000. Yes, there are other expenses such as rent and food, and I don’t want to minimize those. There are also other income sources, such as scholarships, student loans, jobs, etc.

It is true that college for low income people can be free.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:14 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Try talking to a financial aid rep anyway. There might be something that they can do. If you think you can succeed in college, it is worth it in the long run
unfortunately if he has defaulted on student loans he can't get Pell grants. Hopefully he will find a job & work out a payment plan for the student loans and when they are out of default he will be able to qualify for pell grants. But there are community colleges, I don't know where the OP lives but if he's a California resident Brown just signed a law to make the first year of community college tuition free so all he would need is a few hundred for fees and whatever his books might cost. Also, a number of community colleges have great trade programs, i.e. welding, medical technology, auto repair & some of those are one year programs.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:16 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newvoyage View Post
None of us are born with the proper credentials.
We have to get them.
What do you want to do?
Does it require a degree?
A license?
You need to research what the proper path is
toward the future you want and then put it into
action step-by-step.

This just doesn't sound like a career issue with
me. It sounds like a self-esteem issue, too.
Do what you can to start believing in yourself.
None of us start at the top.

When I first got to NYC, I too was in my early
20s and did temp work for five years.
I hated it, but it led to other things.
Make a plan that focuses on long term
rather than short term success.
Fantastic post

OP have someone critique your resume and interviewing skills.
If you come across as negative/hopeless... you're right.. no one wants to hire that.
Confidence is key...Fake it til you make it.
Best of luck!

Old 12-29-2017, 12:11 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
There is a glut of workers. Employers can be very choosy about who they select. You can have all of the required qualifications, jump through all the prospective employer's hoops, and properly market yourself, and still not get hired. The best that you can do is try to get a job, any kind of job. It's tough when the competition for all jobs is fierce. It is not your fault, it is just the current market conditions.
I have not seen a glut for sometime...

The hospital where I work has open positions and even the fast food in the area has help wanted starting at $13.23 an hour...

The Home Improvement Box Stores and Mom and Pops are looking to hire...

One huge obstacles for some is background and drug test...

San Francisco Bay Area...

Case in point... last year I rented a single family home to 4 students... the youngest was a new arrival to California from Colorado... she told everyone back home she was moving to California after High School and she did... her family had very little so she was on her own.

Anyway... she was here 3 days and got hired as a waitress at an SF Cafe... she was working and getting good tips... that led to working for a catering company and provided more opportunities... she was also going to SF City College...

You have to put yourself out there...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-29-2017 at 03:07 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 03:42 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
For the most part (Rare circumstances non withstanding), the traditional job application/interview/selected for job based on experience, education, qualification is gone. Its worse than jumping through hoops today. You have to jump AROUND them. You have to know someone with pull who can get you around the nonsense completely and get you in. Sadly, most of us don't have high up connections with pull who can do this. We're at a disadvantage already to the idiots who BYPASSED all the crap we have to jump through. And they get first dibs on ALL job openings and later promotions. Then once you get in (if you're lucky enough) , your education, great performance reviews, willingness to learn, ability don't mean JACK in most places. You'll just get caught up in the layoff. We have to suffer the sins and idiocy of upper management. They FAIL at their jobs, we have to pay. (layoffs facility closings etc).

Its best to stay the HELL away from the private sector and never re-enter which is definitely what Im doing once I get laid off once again (Facility closing) due to incompetent business decisions made over the last 2 years made by "in over their head" sociopaths who couldn't manage a Taco Bell, much less F500 companies. . Im not wasting more years being a number and have to take the fall for upper management idiocy and if I don't get in? Ohhh well.. Guess Im not working again. . The public sector is your only bet today OP. Don;'t even WASTE your time in the private sector. At least you can reasonably keep your career secure and not have to worry about paying the price for **** poor management decisions. There is a limit to the abuse. There is NO limit in the private sector. Its the Wild West. And unless you're complete psychopathic nut job with absolutely no conscience, you won't prosper..

Theres been studies which show the place with most sociopaths outside of freaking PRISON, is in the upper management private sector ranks. That tells you all you need to know.

And to top it off, companies will just continue to layoff and lose business for years, before ANYTHING is done about the idiots at the top that caused it. Cant tell you how many times Ive seen this. Common sense tells you, if the morons at the top can't deliver in at least a year or at least keep a steady positive pace their predecessors did (who knew what they were doing), they need to go. Nope. That doesn't happen. People dance around the source of the problem and don't FIX it. Instead, it makes more sense to continue layoffs, throw great employees out on the street, and operate on skeleton crews while burning out those who were "Lucky" enough to avoid the chop block and then the high turnover begins.

Just boycott the private sector hell hole-Its complete and utter TRASH. The only legitimate options now and in the future are:

1. Self Employed (Difficult without start up money of course, and its tough getting a loan)
2. Trades
3. State/Federal position
4. Work from Home positions startup positions (Or if you insist on the private sector but at least you can be secluded from the nonsense)

You shouldn't have to go through your career paying the price, and constantly worried about layoffs because other people who run operations are complete and utter dips*** retards that aren't qualified and never held accountable for doing a HORRIBLE job.

Sure in the public sector, you have to worry about idiotic management as well (its everywhere) but you're chance of paying the price and suffering for their complete idiocy usually doesn't involved losing your job. You'll still be pretty safe. At least 90 percent safer than you ever would in the private sector. At least your livelihood won't be taken away because of other people's incompetence.

Last edited by DorianRo; 12-29-2017 at 04:11 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 04:16 PM

674 posts, read 608,787 times
I have worked for a state entity (medical I/T). Absolute worst place I've ever been in my 25+ years working. Incompetence, back-stabbing, cliquish behavior and outright corruption were the norm. The grass is not always greener in state jobs.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:34 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
I have worked for a state entity (medical I/T). Absolute worst place I've ever been in my 25+ years working. Incompetence, back-stabbing, cliquish behavior and outright corruption were the norm. The grass is not always greener in state jobs.
Have you gotten laid off once or multiple times in those 25 years though??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment