Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2018, 10:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

I am starting a new job in a couple of weeks, and of course, the looming start date is hanging out in the back of my brain.

I have been thinking a little bit about what I want to learn about for my on-boarding, things I need to setup/transfer into the new email account (favorite newsletters, mailing list and so on), people I should send a note to about my new contact information, and some thoughts about how to tackle my new role.

I am reviewing my notes from the interview process to help me think about what I need to talk to each stakeholder about And making a list of what I need to clarification from via my new boss and questions that have popped up.

I've also got a stack of my favorite office supplies (a few fun colored pens, a notebook.....)

So how do you prep for a new gig?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 10:47 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
It depends on what your new job is. It also depends if you are stepping into a new career with this job or not. But generally, you should not worry about it. Your new management should guide you on what you need to do. Starting a new job can be stressful, even if it is going to be easy. So save your energy, be sure to get enough rest, and concentrate on doing the work to the best of your ability.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:54 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
I make sure I know the location, make sure I have lunch prepped. Have 1-2 pens. Glasses and jacket (If cold or raining)

Cell phone on vibrate also.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:44 AM

9,404 posts, read 8,369,560 times
The first day is almost always introductions, showing you around and getting benefits/administrative burdens out of the way. So I wouldn't worry too much about real, actual work for that first day or two. I've found there are almost always issues with onboarding....email or phone or whatever doesn't work as it should so even if you wanted to jump into work you couldn't do it anyway. Enjoy the first day because it will likely be your least stressful.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:23 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,788 times
There's not much to do on the first day - I personally find that there's frustratingly too little to do - best you can do is hang around and be patient until they are ready to show you around!

Old 01-09-2018, 05:29 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Before starting 1st day:
1) Determine where to park, if you parked in visitor's lot previously.
2) Make sure you have the office number of your manager or your contact to let you past security, if entry is badge access or key fob only.

After starting 1st day:
1) Ask for map of building and conference rooms. You don't want to miss a meeting, if everybody went to the meeting room straight from lunch. They would never come by your desk.

2) Onboard yourself. It's your responsibility, even if they suck at it. Ask for software needed and office supplies.

3) Ask what their expectations are for you in the first and next week. Ask again a week later. Don't be that new hire that's too slow to learn and gets fired.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:52 PM

26 posts, read 13,874 times
Make sure you have a functional chair ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment