Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 07:37 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,282 times

Advertisements

About 2 months ago I left a job I had just started (after 5 years at previous job) to take a government job. The job I had just started and been at 3 months offered me a HUGE promotion, VP, well into the six figures to stay...

On the advice of friends and family and others here, I took the government job. Big mistake. The work environment is horrible. I'm not the only one that thinks this, many others have approached me because they've had problems with the same people I've had issues with. Long story short, after taking my concerns to the HR manager, he was forced to resign because he was belligerent toward me just like the person I was filing a complaint against. I realized that this problem with attitudes in the government was rampant. That said, 9 weeks in, I've made some friends, not all of the people are horrible. But the level of incompetence and high school type behavior is astounding.

Fast forward to today. I got a job offer within a month of starting to look for a new job. Another government agency. I'm replacing a guy who is still there and retiring. I had a chance to talk to him about the working environment. He said it's not long hours, the people are not crazy, and my boss is not a micro manager, will let me manage my department for the most part (I'm a Senior IT Manager). That said many of the reviews I've read on glassdoor are negative. High turnover in HR, IT, etc. Many reviews are recent.

I've learned that you never know what the new job will be like until you start and are into it a few weeks or months. Unlike my last job, I'm not taking a huge title and pay cut. The benefits and salary are pretty much the same. The salary and vacation time at my existing government job are slightly more than the new offer. But what I'm more worried about is the working environment. That said, I've settled into a routine at the new job and made a lot of friends. It's pretty laid back overall, though I'm a glorified project manager, not a senior manager like I used to be. Despite it only being 9 weeks, I feel like I don't want to start over.

But at the same time, I feel like if I stay and things keep going south at this job, I'll really be kicking myself in a few months. Though, I could just keep looking for other jobs I suppose. I have a final job interview at another big company on Monday. I could just keep looking, but at the end of the day, even if all they reviews are positive and it's rated one of the best companies in America, you never know if it's a mistake.

What would you do?

Moderator note: A second thread on this topic was merged into this thread on 01/10/2018. If any posts seem redundant, that is the reason.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-10-2018 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 10:00 PM

Well an old friend and colleague happened to have worked there not too long ago and he said it was a GREAT place to work and knows many of the people I'd be working for and with...

I'm feeling a bit better about it, but as always, these things might as well be a coin toss...

Old 01-06-2018, 10:30 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I used to work at one of the "best places to work" that has a pretty decent glass door rating. It was a nightmare, to put it mildly. I lasted about 3 months before I quit.

You can't tell until you get there. My current company is pretty great but glassdoor ratings are tanked by the sales department who never seem to be happy.

I say roll the dice. How much worse could it be?

Old 01-08-2018, 01:30 PM

Going to take it I guess. Two insiders say its good, thoigh some glassdoor reviews are, well...

You never know how any job really is until you've been there a bit. While my current job has improved, it's obvious the leadership is inept and corrupt.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:39 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Congratulations! Glad you had insider information, it makes a huge difference.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:51 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Congrats!!!!

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:05 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
About 2 months ago I left a job I had just started (after 5 years at previous job) to take a government job. The job I had just started and been at 3 months offered me a HUGE promotion, VP, well into the six figures to stay...

On the advice of friends and family and others here, I took the government job. Big mistake. The work environment is horrible. I'm not the only one that thinks this, many others have approached me because they've had problems with the same people I've had issues with. Long story short, after taking my concerns to the HR manager, he was forced to resign because he was belligerent toward me just like the person I was filing a complaint against. I realized that this problem with attitudes in the government was rampant. That said, 9 weeks in, I've made some friends, not all of the people are horrible. But the level of incompetence and high school type behavior is astounding.

Fast forward to today. I got a job offer within a month of starting to look for a new job. Another government agency. I'm replacing a guy who is still there and retiring. I had a chance to talk to him about the working environment. He said it's not long hours, the people are not crazy, and my boss is not a micro manager, will let me manage my department for the most part (I'm a Senior IT Manager). That said many of the reviews I've read on glassdoor are negative. High turnover in HR, IT, etc. Many reviews are recent.

I've learned that you never know what the new job will be like until you start and are into it a few weeks or months. Unlike my last job, I'm not taking a huge title and pay cut. The benefits and salary are pretty much the same. The salary and vacation time at my existing government job are slightly more than the new offer. But what I'm more worried about is the working environment. That said, I've settled into a routine at the new job and made a lot of friends. It's pretty laid back overall, though I'm a glorified project manager, not a senior manager like I used to be. Despite it only being 9 weeks, I feel like I don't want to start over.

But at the same time, I feel like if I stay and things keep going south at this job, I'll really be kicking myself in a few months. Though, I could just keep looking for other jobs I suppose. I have a final job interview at another big company on Monday. I could just keep looking, but at the end of the day, even if all they reviews are positive and it's rated one of the best companies in America, you never know if it's a mistake.

What would you do?
I understand. Work environment is very important. I am in a similar position. I have decided to stick it out until late summer. By then, I would have gotten everything I can from the opportunity and move on.

I made a promise to myself to never work in an environment like this every again. It is horrible.

I think reviews and Linkedin are valuable tools to help you evaluate.

Don't settle. Keep looking.

Good luck!

Old 01-09-2018, 11:27 AM

Default How to decide whether to stay or take new offer?

About 2.5 months ago I started a new job. It wasn't what I thought it was. I regretted leaving my previous job BIG TIME. So far I had to go to HR once due to issues and that person was fired because of their handling of it...

There are a lot of strong personalities/crazy people, but also some good people. While I went from being a decision maker (IT Manager promoted to VP then left for a Project Manager job which is where I'm at now), the benefits are good, the paid time off is ridiculously good, etc. The situation has also improved. I have a pretty decent manager. I also have less stress overall. Never work weekends or nights anymore.

That said, the pension at my current job sucks, and my new job offer has a much better pension plan that I can take with me when I leave, not to mention it has a faster vesting schedule. The time off is a bit less but still good, and the pay is about the same. The new position is also a lot more work, but I'm back to being a decision maker as an IT Manager. I have one colleague who hated working there and two who liked working there (including the guy I'm replacing).

I know some of my other co-workers who also ended up going from Director roles to this are disappointed and looking.

I'm torn on how to decide whether to leave or not. I've settled into a nice routine here. I suspect I can do the same there in a couple months. Seems like every job allows you to settle into a routine after time. I think the PTO and the cushy routine are the reason I'm hesitant to leave here.

Again, not sure whether to stay at this place or go to the new job. During my struggle the first couple months I was applying and interviewing like crazy and had someone made me an offer right at that time, I would have quit right then and there. Heck, just last week I had a crazy meeting with a crazy person and was thinking to myself that offer letter for the new job couldn't come fast enough.

One thought I had was to use some of my PTO to try the other job out first and if it doesn't work out, return to the old job.

Not sure whether to stay or go...how to decide.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:14 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post

One thought I had was to use some of my PTO to try the other job out first and if it doesn't work out, return to the old job.

Not sure whether to stay or go...how to decide.
How much PTO do you have after only 2.5 months at the new job?

I'm a little confused, is the job you are in now the gov't job or did you go back to the job you had (the one that paid $170k) before the gov't job?

Old 01-10-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
How much PTO do you have after only 2.5 months at the new job?

I'm a little confused, is the job you are in now the gov't job or did you go back to the job you had (the one that paid $170k) before the gov't job?
I have 11 days. I used 3 before the end of the year. It's government...

I'm in the govt job. The old position was filled with the runner up.

I'm really considering using some of that PTO if I can to try out the new job that I have lined up. Technically I'm not supposed to take a vacation right now, there's a waiting period. But they let me use a few days before the end of the year because they were use it or lose it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment