Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 03:28 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times

Advertisements

For over six months this man my husband knows has been stringing him along telling him he will hire him. He's had my husband do work writing blogs for him, inviting him to business functions, social/business type functions, he's been on 2 or 3 interviews, and other things that frankly take up a lot of time. This guy is a small, start-up business owner. Keeps telling him he'll likely get a job offer at some point but it hasn't happened yet. In the meantime, he wants my husband doing things for him all the time.

My husband is employed elsewhere now but it's not good pay. He hopes this guy can eventually hire him but it's starting to cut into our weekends now. Like Saturdays and Sundays. I'd like to tell him to cut the cord, I see no hope here. It's taking up not only his time, but my time as well, as I have to do other things while he's away with this guy who isn't paying him anything, but benefits from the time he spends with him. I think the guy is just picking his brain and using him as an unpaid business associate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 03:37 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
He absolutely is, and your husband is letting him. I would never do that much work for anyone in the hopes that I would get paid for a job.

I had an employer interview me and ask me to put together an entire wellness program for them before they hired me. Yeah, no. That is what you pay me for.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:37 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,123,953 times
The guy's motto is "Why buy the cow, if you can get the milk for free?"

It's a silly old saying, but makes a good point. If the guy is getting a free "employee", there is no incentive to hire your husband.

It can be challenging to change a spouse's mind. It may cause more drama and stress on the marriage. It's best to leave it alone, if he won't listen.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:27 PM

It's using up my time too, though. I have to spend more time dealing with stuff at home when he's away with his friend, who isn't paying him for his time.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:31 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
I'd really sit down with him, discuss the hard facts that he's being taken advantage of and also YOUR feelings also. If he was bring more bacon home that's ok, but obviously this guy is starving him with tantalization.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:30 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Your husband is being taken advantage of.

Working for free for the promise of an eventual job isn’t a wise decision.

If this startup guy really wants to use your husband’s talents, but cannot afford to hire him FT, he can still pay your husband on a contract basis.

If he can’t afford to pay now on a contract basis, he won’t be able to afford to pay your husband in the future.

Another optio; would be for your husband to accept an equity stake in the startup in exchange for work. That may never pay off, but at least he has a chance at payment.

The worst of all possible options is to do work for free now, for a non-binding nenulous promise to hire h8m and pay for work later.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:42 PM

4,974 posts, read 2,715,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Your husband is being taken advantage of.

Working for free for the promise of an eventual job isn’t a wise decision.

If this startup guy really wants to use your husband’s talents, but cannot afford to hire him FT, he can still pay your husband on a contract basis.

If he can’t afford to pay now on a contract basis, he won’t be able to afford to pay your husband in the future.

Another optio; would be for your husband to accept an equity stake in the startup in exchange for work. That may never pay off, but at least he has a chance at payment.

The worst of all possible options is to do work for free now, for a non-binding nenulous promise to hire h8m and pay for work later.

Yes, definitely. Your husband is being taken advantage of. Real bad news.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

I will consider that, thanks.

I feel he needs something in writing at this point to continue on with this person. Even the business lunches and happy hours are taking up needless time that he could be doing other things.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:32 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I will consider that, thanks.

I feel he needs something in writing at this point to continue on with this person. Even the business lunches and happy hours are taking up needless time that he could be doing other things.
It sounds like he is being used as a prop by the startup owner. He is showing off Mr. Vanilla as a resource he can draw upon, with the implication that Mr. Vanilla is on the payroll.

An equity stake isn’t necessarily simple. You need to make sure that Startup Guy is incorporated or an LLC, you cannot have a fractional share of a sole prop. If the startup goes under, your husband owns nothing. You want to make sure that your husband never signs personal guarantees, or that the startup doesn’t do anything shady that might get h8m sued on a personal basis. The personal liability is unlikely, as incorporating is done specifically to shield people from that, but you probably want to have a lawyer eyeball any documents to make sure you know what you are getting.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:33 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,187,466 times
Your husband just needs to tell the guy he can only contribute if he hires him on a consulting basis and walk away.

It won't stop until your husband puts an end to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment