Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:35 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearEyes650 View Post
Thanks for the input. I live in the Triangle, which is Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill. I’ve been looking a bit lately. I’ve been asking friends and trying to make connections.

Has anyone on here started your own company?

One thing I’ve considered is going back to school. How many of you have done that?
39 is not too late to go to school but you aren't getting any younger either. Be glad you aren't like that lady I met last year, she decided to go get her degree in education in her mid 60s and is now $80K in college loan debt .

Starting your own company can be done but do you have the finances and the background to run a profitable business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 04:20 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
I'm a 39 year old college graduate with 12 years in my field. To make a long story short, I'm stressed out and frustrated with my job.

I was turned down for a promotion and the person they eventually hired still to this day(2 years later) can't do their job. I've also had to train them to do my job, which they still can't do anywhere near to my level. In fact, I have to fill in overtime because they can't be relied to do it themself.

I don't enjoy the work anymore which makes the stress worse. Plus, there is no accountability at my company and so many people who aren't very good at their jobs, which funnels down to me to try and fix. On top of that I'm not compensated well. Our competitors pay much better, but like I said, I'm bored with the profession.

I could go on and on, but I'm stuck and I'm wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation or has any advice? I would be open to a new field. What are some good paying jobs without the stress? Has anyone found success leaving their field lately? Any comments and/or help is appreciated.
Don't throw away all that professional experience. I am sure that your feelings have a lot to do with having the experience that you're having at your company. You are not being recognized nor compensated for your professional skills. Give up on your company....Not yourself.

I would at least try to get to a better company and give that a shot before bailing entirely on 12 years of what sounds like excellent skill set building and experiential learning.

Rewrite your CV to include all this putting out fires, and training of others....and whatever else applies to strengthen your current CV so that it truly represents what you have been professionally doing these past 12 years. Then, go shopping for your new position.

Meanwhile....do a bit of research about what transferable skills you have built up and look for jobs/professions that would consider those skills an asset.

Actually take some time and sit and list the skills that you have, include educational and job experiential skills....add to this list as you think of past work experiences....it may take a few days to complete this list.

I found it helpful to have a pen and paper next to my bed, I used to actually wake up and jot things down at times when I was trying to list ideas....in your case skills.

Don't forget to include your people skills and organization and critical thinking, skills that you've been utilizing in your current job....but obviously not being credited with.

Just a few examples of the resource links online to help you identify your transferable skills:
https://www.careeronestop.org/JobSea...le-skills.aspx

https://www.workitdaily.com/transfer...reer-changers/

https://www.seek.com.au/career-advic...ills-checklist

Old 01-13-2018, 05:11 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The chances of networking and becoming close with a high end corporate contact who can get you through the BS hoopla hiring process isn’t good.
LinkedIn is awesome for finding jobs and making any contact.

I use it for referring former co-workers or them referring me for non-management roles. I am referring a guy now for a bump from in the $80's to $120's. Interviews will be scheduled within a week for my LinkedIn connection.

A former co-worker quit his job in the fall, after being recruited out of state for a non-management job paying $110k in NC. He set his location preference for NC, and recruiters were contacting him weekly for jobs there. All his interviews were by phone.

I got my last 2 jobs from recruiters hitting me up on LinkedIn.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:06 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Quote:
I'm a 39 year old college graduate with 12 years in my field. To make a long story short, I'm stressed out and frustrated with my job.

I was turned down for a promotion and the person they eventually hired still to this day(2 years later) can't do their job. I've also had to train them to do my job, which they still can't do anywhere near to my level. In fact, I have to fill in overtime because they can't be relied to do it themself.

I don't enjoy the work anymore which makes the stress worse. Plus, there is no accountability at my company and so many people who aren't very good at their jobs, which funnels down to me to try and fix. On top of that I'm not compensated well. Our competitors pay much better, but like I said, I'm bored with the profession.

I could go on and on, but I'm stuck and I'm wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation or has any advice? I would be open to a new field. What are some good paying jobs without the stress? Has anyone found success leaving their field lately? Any comments and/or help is appreciated.
You may having something to do with being stuck in the sense that upper mamagement may have a different impression of you than you have of yourself. Is that possible? Look into it.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:24 AM

94 posts, read 105,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
39 is not too late to go to school but you aren't getting any younger either. Be glad you aren't like that lady I met last year, she decided to go get her degree in education in her mid 60s and is now $80K in college loan debt .

Starting your own company can be done but do you have the finances and the background to run a profitable business?
I don’t have debt. If I went back to school it wouldn’t be for a four year degree.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Don't throw away all that professional experience. I am sure that your feelings have a lot to do with having the experience that you're having at your company. You are not being recognized nor compensated for your professional skills. Give up on your company....Not yourself.

I would at least try to get to a better company and give that a shot before bailing entirely on 12 years of what sounds like excellent skill set building and experiential learning.

Rewrite your CV to include all this putting out fires, and training of others....and whatever else applies to strengthen your current CV so that it truly represents what you have been professionally doing these past 12 years. Then, go shopping for your new position.

Meanwhile....do a bit of research about what transferable skills you have built up and look for jobs/professions that would consider those skills an asset.

Actually take some time and sit and list the skills that you have, include educational and job experiential skills....add to this list as you think of past work experiences....it may take a few days to complete this list.

I found it helpful to have a pen and paper next to my bed, I used to actually wake up and jot things down at times when I was trying to list ideas....in your case skills.

Don't forget to include your people skills and organization and critical thinking, skills that you've been utilizing in your current job....but obviously not being credited with.

Just a few examples of the resource links online to help you identify your transferable skills:
https://www.careeronestop.org/JobSea...le-skills.aspx

https://www.workitdaily.com/transfer...reer-changers/

https://www.seek.com.au/career-advic...ills-checklist

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Good advice.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:29 AM

665 posts, read 613,697 times
Quote:
It’s all too common today. The most qualified and valuable get nothing but just all the added responsibility thrown on them. While thebl useless connected deadwood skate by and collect more money doing nothing. Nothing you can do but leave but sadly chances are you’ll just end up in the same hole at the next company you go to. Since probably 95 percent of companies operate this way

Just leave the private sector. The narrative is the private sector is a meritocracy and for “go getters”. BS no it’s not. Not anymore anyways
Definitely agree. I thought that when I left government I was done with liars and cheats at a major level. It doesn't look like it at all .

Old 01-13-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
You may having something to do with being stuck in the sense that upper mamagement may have a different impression of you than you have of yourself. Is that possible? Look into it.

Upper management at my company hires people that aren’t a threat to them into middle management positions.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:37 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy973 View Post
Definitely agree. I thought that when I left government I was done with liars and cheats at a major level. It doesn't look like it at all .

No its not. Im sure the same stuff applies to the government but at least you get a nice pension at the end of the rainbow after years of having to put up with it.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:24 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
No its not. Im sure the same stuff applies to the government but at least you get a nice pension at the end of the rainbow after years of having to put up with it.

That "nice pension" isn't the wonder people think it is. And it comes at a price. That's why it's called the golden handcuffs.

Part of that price is lower income during your working years in exchange for the pension later. Meaning you live a lower lifestyle during those years and have fewer investments. And no stock options. So after a certain age you become trapped. You can't afford to leave an take another job because you're too far behind financially. You can't move up because there is no "up." And you can't retire and draw the pension because you're too young still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment