Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 01:20 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchen2 View Post
I don't know weather it was justify enough to fired me from where I was working at but I worked for a Real Estate Startup providing IT Support and pretty much I was asked if I could come in on the holiday ( Christmas and New years) and weekend to catch on some tickets and clean up storage be there for coverage although I declined politely because they told me it was optional this place was a great place to work but work life balance was pretty terrible and I was constantly asked if I could come in the weekend and work and catch up on things but I kept saying no. I wanted to spend time with my girlfriend and family over the holidays and we went out of town to Las Vegas

First Im just a help desk tech not really much level 1 and 2 support and this company was 8pm to 6pm as their official business hours and when I first started I was pretty much shown the ropes of the company their ticketing system, programs they use to install and ways of how they handle printers, the storage room, assigning IT equipment everyone their work very long hours expect ME...

soon as I come back from new years a few days after they mention something about performance issues not what was expected and my experience is not what they expected and I was pretty much fired. In a way I was kinda happy but man I just was disappointed they wasted their time hiring me and now I am on UI Benefits.

but the IT Director kinda expected me to put work over my families and expected a lot out of me. I don't know why I was fired but they really made it seem it was because of that as I was doing my job right and had some small screw ups at times ( dropped coffee accidentally on a desk, juggling 5 things at once, put the wrong image in a laptop once )

and the IT Director didnt seem so happy that I was going out of town for the holidays even though these holidays off I was entitled to with the company

I mean am I wrong ? or was I just a bad fit for this place? Could I have saved myself from being fired?
Not going to work. Your employer can use that as insubordination thus you wont be able to get unemployment, and will give you a bad reference when that comes along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 02:33 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
In many IT jobs overtime is a constant requirement. In the IT jobs that I have held, if you don't do overtime then you don't have a good "work ethic", no matter even if your performance is outstanding.
Here is working in America and Japan without shift change:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mK46KprASM

Old 01-18-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
In many IT jobs overtime is a constant requirement. In the IT jobs that I have held, if you don't do overtime then you don't have a good "work ethic", no matter even if your performance is outstanding.
See minute 2 of this scene from Matewan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RSaBoDl_9k

Old 01-18-2018, 03:07 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Cause that would make it hard to get an ambulance! (Most ambulances are run by private companies)

But there can be state laws. In Massachusetts you cannot work on thanksgiving or christmas without a waiver from the state.
or sunday even:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ghlight=sunday

Old 01-18-2018, 03:17 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,673 times
Be glad that you're not at that place any longer.You should be able to find someone much better since you can work IT.
You should never let a job get in the way of family.Yes we all have bills to pay but like you said...those days off you were allowed to take on your job so...
Companies will get rid of you if you detest so much in not working weekends or holidays because they know that someone else will work those days without any problems...

Old 01-18-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Here is working in America and Japan without shift change:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mK46KprASM
If this is what your job is like day after day, you might as well get paid for every hour.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:04 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchen2 View Post
Well they just told me overtime was optional im not force to work it whats wierd too is that none of this was ever mentional in my contract nor did they mention it on the interview if that was the case then I would have never taken the job

I was like well im going out of town sorry

Plus those holidays we had off were paid and were company holidays

Few days later was brought into the pffice then told I was not a good fit pretty much made up something to get rid of me.

I was never written up or nothing though nor warned

Dont know why holidays are offered then if thats the case
I highly doubt you had a contract, unless this was a temp or time-limited position.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:15 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
They are trying to milk you for free labor. You don't need to work for them.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:25 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888
christmas and new years are federal holidays so do all non-essential employees have off ?
There is no federal law requiring private employers to give their employees holidays.
Correct.
"federal holiday" is a term that shows what the government defines as holidays. So if you're a government employee or otherwise follow government agency work schedules, then you would get those days off. some examples include yes to Christmas, New Year's, MLK, Veterans Days. But no to Hanukah, Chinese New Year, Saint Patrick's Day, the solar eclipse, etc.
In general... while companies aren't required by law to give holidays off, many of them within the same industry will in order to be more competitive with other companies, as these are all perks that add up to prospective employees.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:41 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Aside note: the blanket statement 'at will' does not mean a lawsuit can't be filed,when terminated. There is accountability by the employer to show proof when terminating. Saying hey Joe we are firing you ! Because we just don't like that we have to build a ramp to accommodate your wheelchair.

This 'at will. Comes at a price.
Employees have rights ...And that's a blanket statement that is solid and protected.

Op: if other employees were asked and regrouped thru out their employ to work some hours (paid) outside the business hours,I'm sure it would be seen as favoritism if you were constantly not stepping up to work some of those off hours. I'm sure you've moved on since this.. just keep in mind your rights and what at will does and doesn't abide for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment