Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 12:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times

Advertisements

My office had a good laugh this week. A candidate who was scheduled for a phone interview decided to just show up in person.

It would have been pretty hard to confuse the interview as an in-person meeting because the recruiter send a confirmation email saying “hiring manager will call you at 113-446-7790.” And the recruiter sent a calendar invite saying “phone interview” in the subject line with a location of “we will call you.”

So the recruiter had to find a conference room, the hiring manager had to talk to this person interrupting her day. The candidate didn’t even apologize for the mix-up.

Let’s just say the candidate left a bad impression across the whole office.

Have you ever showed up for a phone interview? If so, what did you do? Have you experienced it as a hiring manager? How did you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 12:25 PM

405 posts, read 573,633 times
Wow, what an idiot. That was nice of the hiring manager but I would have told him/her sorry and to head back home.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:59 PM

4,976 posts, read 2,715,970 times
Perhaps it would be safe to assume that the person did not get the job.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:38 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Had I been the hiring manager, I would have refused to meet with the applicant in person. A certain type of interview was scheduled, and that is the type I would conduct. I would call the number, and if they answered, I would conduct the interview, even if they were standing in my parking lot.

Failure or inability to follow instructions generally does not lead to a job offer.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:19 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My office had a good laugh this week. A candidate who was scheduled for a phone interview decided to just show up in person.

It would have been pretty hard to confuse the interview as an in-person meeting because the recruiter send a confirmation email saying “hiring manager will call you at 113-446-7790.” And the recruiter sent a calendar invite saying “phone interview” in the subject line with a location of “we will call you.”

So the recruiter had to find a conference room, the hiring manager had to talk to this person interrupting her day. The candidate didn’t even apologize for the mix-up.

Have you ever showed up for a phone interview? If so, what did you do? Have you experienced it as a hiring manager? How did you handle it?
No, never did, but then had a few phone interviews I ended up calling the interviewer an idiot for calling me with a job I had NO interest in whatsoever. Calling me for a cashier position, Part time for a store 35 miles away. Never marked that I wanted cashier and did mark ONLY Vancouver, WA....

That's why I am not a fan of a DIY conglomerate with a L at the beginning.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:51 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Ha...you called??

Old 02-04-2018, 06:37 AM

4,976 posts, read 2,715,970 times
Another take on this is that the job candidate went above and beyond and displayed "out of the box thinking". Just finding the physical location where the office is, required a superior intellect and creative thinking.

Us business guys can spin it any way you like.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:22 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
If someone showed up for a phone interview, they would be told to go outside and call.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:29 AM

15,442 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAtlanta View Post
Is there a particular reason you put their entire phone number on this website?
That's not a real phone number...

Old 02-04-2018, 10:40 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Never had it happen. And certainly not a good impression by the candidate.

Not to nitpick - but regarding the bolded above - how would that be different with a phone interview? The hiring manager would have carved that time out of her schedule regardless - no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment