Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Public vs Private Ladder Climbing: What would you do?
Public 6 42.86%
Private 6 42.86%
Make short-term decisions for money 1 7.14%
Other, answer in post 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 01:35 PM

638 posts, read 529,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
The bottom line for me is: My public service gave me a good, fulfilling career, I made a difference, I worked long enough to build up a good retirement, and was able to enhance that with other investments. I have no idea what things would have been like in the private sector, but I have a feeling I might still be working!
Thank you!

When did you start? How long did you have to put in? I worked nonprofit and lost retirement and savings staying afloat during the recession, so now I'm 40 and still rebuilding. I need to put in a lot every year to catch up, about 20% of my current income until 60, somewhat less until 70.

I make twice as much now than I'd make in the public sector, so that's much easier, and there's no pension in the exempt public positions. I'm interested how you were able to make it work for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 01:38 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
The bottom line for me is: My public service gave me a good, fulfilling career, I made a difference, I worked long enough to build up a good retirement, and was able to enhance that with other investments. I have no idea what things would have been like in the private sector, but I have a feeling I might still be working!

Thats good. These things rarely exist in the private sector. Chances are you would STILL Be working. The employer would be screwing with your 401K and you would probably wouldn't even make to retirement now at one company. So its smart you joined the public sector.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:16 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
I faced the same decision last year and went public. Very happy with my decision because it offers the work life balance I wanted and in private sector there is essentially none. I have a young child so for me the balance trumps the money any day but you need to look at your priorities and make a list of pros and cons. I also found I get a lot more time off in the public sector which is worth more than money to me. But everyone is different.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:18 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I faced the same decision last year and went public. Very happy with my decision because it offers the work life balance I wanted and in private sector there is essentially none. I have a young child so for me the balance trumps the money any day but you need to look at your priorities and make a list of pros and cons. I also found I get a lot more time off in the public sector which is worth more than money to me. But everyone is different.

Yep. Work/life balance is a big plus in the public sector opposed to private. You have a young child so job security is a must. Hell, I never even had kids but realize public sector/job security is the way to go. Theres none in the private sector now

Old 03-05-2018, 02:00 PM

638 posts, read 529,741 times
Thanks everyone for your replies. The poll is neck and neck, but you've reminded me of the many reasons I did enjoy working in the public sector, even if the public perception of the public sector is comically outdated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment