Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2018, 01:02 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times

Advertisements

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...n-we-realized/

Summary (as far I I understand it):

The difference between Unsuccessful and Successful is a matter of hard work and doing the right things.

The difference between Successful and Famous all comes down to luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 01:20 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
From my experience, Id say luck, connections (the right connections with people in positions of power) , right place right time, is far more important than "hard work" doing the right things, etc. these days.

I did all the "right things". The things I was supposed to do. College, worked hard, I was dependable, had performance rewards, became valuable etc. Didn't get me too far as I didn't have Lady Luck on my side or have the "right" connections.

Can't tell you how many goons Ive seen get "fast-tracked" up the corporate ladder of success when there were far more qualified, harder working, knowledgable people that deserved it more.

If you think hard work, doing all the right things etc. are the most important, you're in for a long haul in the corporate world today sadly. Its not a sane world.

Last edited by DorianRo; 03-04-2018 at 01:31 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 02:19 PM

251 posts, read 204,126 times
Quote:
About half of the differences in income across people worldwide is explained by their country of residence and by the income distribution within that country,
Scientific impact is randomly distributed, with high productivity alone having a limited effect on the likelihood of high-impact work in a scientific career,
The chance of becoming a CEO is influenced by your name or month of birth,
The number of CEOs born in June and July is much smaller than the number of CEOs born in other months,
Those with last names earlier in the alphabet are more likely to receive tenure at top departments,
The display of middle initials increases positive evaluations of people's intellectual capacities and achievements,
People with easy to pronounce names are judged more positively than those with difficult-to-pronounce names,
Females with masculine sounding names are more successful in legal careers.
I would say "STRATEGIC LUCK".

For example if you are born in India and move to Germany then you won't just be "lucky" to get a higher opportunity to improve your standard of living. It is due to your decision to move there why you are benefitting from a more stable trajectory.

There are things we can all do to improve our "Luck"

There are multiple decisions I made in life to strategically improve my chances of being picked out from all the other Joes. I went to a certain school, got certain experience. I talk in a certain way. I chose certain role models. Yes one can say I am lucky but I did play a part in that luck by doing certain things to set myself in the correct position to be visible to the right people.

Yes you can say luck, but look at Donald J. Trump. He did not become President just because his Grandfather and Father built him an Empire to inherit. So it wasn't the "luck" of inheritance. How many rich people have tried to become President and failed miserably and wasted loads of money? Technically his estate is chronically insolvent. We know it isn't the money. There are many who have better connections than he. It isn't his connections or social status. On and off he has expressed passive aggressive interest in the Presidency. Maybe the only luck that happened was his number came up because nobody liked Hilary and wanted to keep the Clintons out. But his number could have came up earlier (but probably not later than this due to his age).

Circumstances you are born in determine a lot but not everything. It can make you MORE LIKELY to be able to do something specific but certainly DOES NOT GUARANTEE anything. Nothing is guaranteed!

Old 03-04-2018, 02:43 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
From my experience, Id say luck, connections (the right connections with people in positions of power) , right place right time, is far more important than "hard work" doing the right things, etc. these days.

I did all the "right things". The things I was supposed to do. College, worked hard, I was dependable, had performance rewards, became valuable etc. Didn't get me too far as I didn't have Lady Luck on my side or have the "right" connections.

Can't tell you how many goons Ive seen get "fast-tracked" up the corporate ladder of success when there were far more qualified, harder working, knowledgable people that deserved it more.

If you think hard work, doing all the right things etc. are the most important, you're in for a long haul in the corporate world today sadly. Its not a sane world.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment