Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 10:08 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

Finish the week. And spend some down time before starting your new job.
For once do what is best for you. Good luck on your new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 10:14 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
If things are in good order to leave - the torch has been passed and necessary information relayed - why not have a little vacation? It's your life. You aren't a slave to the company. You've done your time. Sure, the company would probably want you there, but you're in transition, and need to think of the future.

Or, if your conscience bothers you, a compromise and balance would be to work one week, and enjoy the following week off.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:27 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
Thanks for the advice so far. I have always had a good relationship with my manager (not general manager) and he asked if I could work until the 11th at least to help with the transition. I think that would be a fair compromise. As Left-handed mentioned, the stress level will hopefully drop with the pending departure.
This sounds like a good plan. I made the mistake once of not taking a week off between jobs, and regretted it. The new job was at a company which did not give ANY vacation days until an employee had served a full year.

As JanND said, do what's best for you this time. And know that it's okay.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:05 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Look at it this way. In most cases where I've given two weeks notice, the final two weeks may as well have been a paid vacation at work. I was mostly checked out mentally and just provided the bare minimum in terms of transitioning responsibilities and getting work done. Most of the stress over thinking about long term commitment to the org had mostly dissipated.
If an employer is REALLY that petty, they'll find a way to ding you, even if you put in your 2 weeks. IME, short of committing a straight up crime, if you're good at what you do, or otherwise can fill requirements in their workforce they're lacking... they won't let a 2-week thing overshadow all your qualifications.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:08 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Don't burn the bridge on such a long term job. Give two weeks and see if you can end it on a week of PTO. If not, then so be it.
This. Don't overthink it. There might be work you need to close out. Your company might ask you to train someone else on your team to take over your position. And you never know when you might find your way back to that company or for a manager of that company in a different position.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:10 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
If an employer is REALLY that petty, they'll find a way to ding you, even if you put in your 2 weeks. IME, short of committing a straight up crime, if you're good at what you do, or otherwise can fill requirements in their workforce they're lacking... they won't let a 2-week thing overshadow all your qualifications.
I'm probably not the best person to ask, as I currently work in a very toxic environment where I've heard that this sort of thing happens. It has really screwed with my perspective on how delicate these things can be. Prior to this, I wouldn't have thought much of it. I think it's a discussion you need to have with your manager.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:57 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
I think differently. You are owed 3 weeks vacation. Finish the week, take your personal stuff, including names and personal contact info for coworkers future references, and notify HR that you're taking your 3 weeks vacation. Definitely do this unless you will be paid in full for the 3 weeks if unused...some places would only give just a fraction of accumulated vacation in compensation.
You do not need train the person taking your spot. Any employer not encouraging and making available the taking of vacation without work load penalty to the employee is a poor employer. Good luck with your new job.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:06 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
OP if you are burnt out that badly just go. Make Friday your last day and be done with it. You don't owe this company anything. If you dropped dead at your desk they would have carted you out and put someone else in their ASAP. They got along before you worked there and will get long after you have left.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:07 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,344 times
Your manager and HR decides

If your position was not important you can leave immediately and still get your last pay check

Old 04-05-2018, 03:35 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
guess I'm the contrarian on this thread ...

your 3 weeks of earned paid vacation is part of your compensation package and time management by the company.

apparently, in 6 years of employment you were unable to take advantage of your "earned" time off benefit ... instead, taking only partial time off.

From my perspective, the company owes you that opportunity to utilize the earned benefit.

How you use it for your personal needs to prepare for your next employment opportunity is your business. You are the only one who can judge the need to do so. If you believe that it would be beneficial to your next job, so be it.

While a concern about "burning bridges" may have some validity, it's all in how you present your situation to your current employer. This is an entirely different departure situation than walking away without giving two weeks notice.

Your "two weeks notice" is a two-way street ... reasonable to give your current employer a two weeks notice, but it's reasonable for them to give you your earned time off benefit, too.

PS: as an employer for many years ... if an employee of mine was "moving on", I always thanked them for the courtesy of giving two weeks notice that they were leaving for a better job opportunity. But I rarely wanted them to stay around, it was potentially too disruptive to the work in progress and the rest of my crew. It was worth it to me to have my departing employee leave the premises ASAP, and I was happy to give them any earned vacation pay and payroll earnings immediately on the spot. Adios, pard'ner, and happy trails.

Last edited by sunsprit; 04-05-2018 at 04:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment