Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 02:07 PM

126 posts, read 96,445 times

Advertisements

At my last job, there was a lady who was fired and the reason was that she "had a bad attitude." I sat across from her and she was always very friendly towards me and would help me when I asked. I thought she was very professional.

Well, there was one manager who was very difficult to work with and had a habit of talking to subordinates like they were children. For some reason, she especially had it out for the lady I'm talking about. The manager was just very nasty to her, and I'm sure the lady was defense as anyone would be who is attacked on a regular basis.

One day, we had a regular meeting, and the nasty manager told us that "we all need to treat each other with respect." The lady who was fired responded with "you need to treat us with respect as well." Of course, the manager then sent it up the flagpole and the lady was fired for "having a bad attitude."

If you ever brought her name up, she was a "bad employee" and "couldn't get along with anybody." Another manager even accused her of stealing people's lunches from the refrigerator, which I kind of doubt. I never had anything but positive interactions with her, but then again I'm a nice guy and I know people tend to react well when you are nice to them.

I just don't think she really had a bad attitude. She was fired for standing up for herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 02:11 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Ok.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:15 PM

902 posts, read 746,955 times
Ok

Old 04-14-2018, 02:30 PM

126 posts, read 96,445 times
Ok.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:34 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Yes.. yesterday I attended a training on this. We were told not to blame others for our issues... I said to the trainer.. but what if it isn't our fault? She said, take the blame anyway.. and then turned around and lectured us on being sure to be open and honest with our supervisors.

Uh...

Old 04-14-2018, 02:42 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person in Charge View Post
At my last job, there was a lady who was fired and the reason was that she "had a bad attitude." I sat across from her and she was always very friendly towards me and would help me when I asked. I thought she was very professional.

Well, there was one manager who was very difficult to work with and had a habit of talking to subordinates like they were children. For some reason, she especially had it out for the lady I'm talking about. The manager was just very nasty to her, and I'm sure the lady was defense as anyone would be who is attacked on a regular basis.

One day, we had a regular meeting, and the nasty manager told us that "we all need to treat each other with respect." The lady who was fired responded with "you need to treat us with respect as well." Of course, the manager then sent it up the flagpole and the lady was fired for "having a bad attitude."

If you ever brought her name up, she was a "bad employee" and "couldn't get along with anybody." Another manager even accused her of stealing people's lunches from the refrigerator, which I kind of doubt. I never had anything but positive interactions with her, but then again I'm a nice guy and I know people tend to react well when you are nice to them.

I just don't think she really had a bad attitude. She was fired for standing up for herself.
Preach! There are people who need to feel in control and gain that by bullying. Someone who stands up to them is a threat and therefore must be eliminated.

I would never in a million years think to lie about someone, but apparently spreading the rumor that many people in the workplace have complained about __________ and her bad attitude is one of the best ways to get rid of them.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:24 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person in Charge View Post

Yes, Management who cannot handle the slightest argument, challenge, demand or disagreement and label anyone who does not agree with them as having a bad attitude, sounds like a typical corporate workplace - and those who seen as having a bad attitude are fired, layed off and marginalised.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:34 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Yes, Management who cannot handle the slightest argument, challenge, demand or disagreement and label anyone who does not agree with them as having a bad attitude, sounds like a typical corporate workplace - and those who seen as having a bad attitude are fired, layed off and marginalised.
Agree. I have experienced different flavors of this type of management in my career. You have to suck it up and shut up when working for these companies. I did for 35 years.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:34 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
As with anything, it's a combination of both.

I had some horrible bosses. Dumb bosses. Bosses who couldn't be trusted as far as you could throw a car.

But I've also had some great bosses. Bosses who never asked the employees to do anything they wouldn't be willing to do themselves. Bosses who stood up for their employees. Bosses who mentored.

Yet, even with great bosses, I've also seen colleagues who just brought their rotten attitudes with them to work. People who were territorial. People who didn't want to put one additional erg of energy into the job. People who sprinted out the door every day at 5:00:01, regardless of whether or not the work was finished. People who gossipped. People with awful people skills. People who were unwilling to learn new things and bristled at every change in the routine. Or, to your point, people who undercut their bosses in a meeting.

So there are people whose horrible attitudes have nothing to do with the job or their boss. It has everything to do with the fact that they are lazy, self-centered, and all-around horror shows to work with. And I bet there will be one of those who read this post and think, "Nope. Couldn't be talking about me."

Old 04-14-2018, 03:38 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
There are more effective ways to be honest and stand up for yourself than to backtalk a superior in front of a group. Whether she was in the right or not, she handled it poorly; just about begged to be fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment