Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 06:28 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,769 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever refused to answer interview questions or walked out of an interview, I mean questions like what is your greatest achievement - its none their business, and most likely not related to the workplace.

What's your greatest weakness? - This is so generic, weakness in relation to what? and Why would you share your weaknesses with a bunch of strangers.

What would your last boss say about you? - insulting and offensive. saying that a bosses opinion is superior to your own.

Where will you be in five years time - coming from a organisations where your job in on the line every week, and will get rid of you at the drop of a hat.

Can you think of a time you went above and beyond your duty - again if you started doing other people jobs then you might get in trouble for stepping on someomes toes, or be told off for interfering in matters outside your job duties.

When interviewers ask these questions does it not just show their reading from a script, lack any kind of originality.

The more I think about it, interviews in corporate jobs are like this are just exercises in humilation, and the purpose of these type of questions is test your willingness to humilated, what lengths you will go, how much you can grovel.

How about refusing to answer these type of questions, or asking them for more detail, or asking them why they are just reading from a script
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 06:39 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
I think they are most excellent questions, and would give them about 50% weight in making an hiring decision.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:40 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
Have you had luck refusing to answer these stock questions?

Old 02-17-2018, 06:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Anyone ever refused to answer interview questions or walked out of an interview, I mean questions like what is your greatest achievement - its none their business, and most likely not related to the workplace.

What's your greatest weakness? - This is so generic, weakness in relation to what? and Why would you share your weaknesses with a bunch of strangers.

What would your last boss say about you? - insulting and offensive. saying that a bosses opinion is superior to your own.

Where will you be in five years time - coming from a organisations where your job in on the line every week, and will get rid of you at the drop of a hat.

Can you think of a time you went above and beyond your duty - again if you started doing other people jobs then you might get in trouble for stepping on someomes toes, or be told off for interfering in matters outside your job duties.

When interviewers ask these questions does it not just show their reading from a script, lack any kind of originality.

The more I think about it, interviews in corporate jobs are like this are just exercises in humilation, and the purpose of these type of questions is test your willingness to humilated, what lengths you will go, how much you can grovel.

How about refusing to answer these type of questions, or asking them for more detail, or asking them why they are just reading from a script
Wow. Who crapped in your corn flakes? Go ahead and refuse to answer. Let us know how that works out.

If you posted an ad on Craigslist looking for someone to cut your grass, when you speak to them on the phone, would you hire them if they refused to answer your questions? Google power dynamics.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:16 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,709,998 times
Default Court Jesters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post

I think you got this right. But if you refuse to answer their questions, you won't get the job. Someone who is an expert at groveling will, that someone who they are looking for. Most companies don't care about their credibility with job candidates. They have the money, and their employees have to dance and grovel like court jesters to get some of it.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:16 PM

62 posts, read 106,800 times
I personally loathe those types of questions because they fail to assess your ability to actually do the job and whether or not you're a good fit for the actual position. Interviewers should do their homework about their candidates and ask them specific questions tailored to their background and how their acquired skills are transferable/applicable to the current position for which they're applying for.

On second thought, I guess those questions would appropriate for minimum wage positions where many of the applicants are either young or may not have much education or experience in general. But for an experienced professional or a someone further on in their career? No way.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:13 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Although I don’t use exactly these questions, I do use some questions in this vein.

You are free to refuse to answer. That fine with me. That makes my decision not to hire you super easy.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:31 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
If you feel these questions are designed to humiliate you, I suggest you get some professional help. Your presumptions are not grounded in reality.

We are always willing to repeat and or clarify questions for candidates.

Yes, we do use a scripted list. Everyone gets the same questions. Why? Because that is what is most defensible in civil litigation.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:19 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,464,397 times
I've not declined to answer interview questions (who does that?), but I have declined second interviews when I didn't like the line of questioning. One prospective employer asked a ton of personality-based questions that I read as red flags. I'm interested in joining your org because my skills are a good fit. If I wanted to be judged on what you think is my personality, I would have signed up for a pageant. "Fit" is important but if there is too much focus on that, it simply means that the employer is not for me.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:30 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
That "greatest limitation" question works on 2 levels: it provides the interviewer insight into your skills AND your self-awareness of your limitations. The second part is valuable, because if you don't perceive yourself to have any limitations, you could be a challenge to manage, since you're likely to resist any and all criticism of your performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment