Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 09:23 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I had no idea there were any places left where workplace smoking hadn't been banned. I'm quite happy that I've never worked someplace where it was allowed, although I did start my first full time professional job not all that long after that, and several of the people I worked with had been used to smoking at their desks. So glad I didn't have to live with that!!

Exactly, the 1960's called and they want their office experience back. Disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 12:21 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I smell a smoky troll thread.
I thought that too until I saw the OP has over 3,600 posts and an account dating over 4 years old. Which made me not so sure.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:23 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Do you smoke cigarettes. weed, or any other drugs while working at your desk?
<>
Yeah, up until 1988. The rest of the jobs I held were no smoking offices.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:55 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Where on Earth are you from?
I know, I keep reading the first sentence and cracking up.

Who smokes weed at their desk? Or any other drug--what, like crack?

Old 04-26-2018, 04:29 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
How are you posting to this forum from the 1970's? You are breaking the laws of physics in any number of ways here. In any event my advice would be if you are smoking weed at your desk at work, don't bogart.
to all of the above.

Of course, here in California, smoking weed at your desk would be more tolerated than cigarettes! Nobody seems to mind if I smoke a joint in public, but if I even have an UNLIT cigarette in my mouth, people look at me like I'm a leper. And while I'm generally supportive of our (no) indoor smoking laws, I would likely be more productive if they let me smoke cigs at work. Just sayin'.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Who smokes weed at their desk? Or any other drug--what, like crack?
People who work from home? Or at a cannabis dispensary?

Actually, I wasn't entirely kidding when I said (above) that smoking pot would be more tolerated here... especially being in Silicon Valley, I'm sure there are start-ups where the workers smoke out at their desks. It's part of the culture here, and could inspire creativity in folks who work insane hours coming up with "innovative ideas."

Old 04-26-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I couldn't imagine any work place where one is able to light up a cigg... like isn't that something that just doesn't happen anymore?

I low key judge smokers, I'm not gonna lie. If I see or find out someone smokes, I think less of them in a weird way... like they're weak.
That's fine... but only if I'm allowed to "low-key judge" everyone I see drinking coffee or alcohol, carrying any extra weight, eating sugar or red meat, driving gas-guzzlers, etc. We all have weaknesses and vices, but I guess it makes people feel better to judge us instead of admitting their own? Smokers are just the easiest target these days, since it's no longer socially acceptable.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:53 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Here is a link to every state's workplace smoking regulations. You may be surprised how many states allow some form of smoking in the workplace.
State by State - Workplace Smoking Regulations

Old 04-26-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Here is a link to every state's workplace smoking regulations. You may be surprised how many states allow some form of smoking in the workplace.
State by State - Workplace Smoking Regulations
I also meant to add that in small private companies (with fewer than xx employees - I think 50?), they are exempt from certain employment-related laws. You probably can't smoke in areas where the public would be, for example the floor of a furniture store, if your state has laws against that. But if you're in the back office, and/or don't serve the public, it's probably up to the business owner. Since the OP mentioned these folks came from a carpet company, it may have been a small family-owned type of place.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
smoking in private offices was allowed at philip morris as of 2014, not sure about now
I guess that makes sense... then again, people are often surprised that librarians aren't allowed (or at least discouraged) to read books at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment