Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 728 times

Advertisements

I apologise for the length, I’ll try to keep this concise;

I had an interview for my “ideal job” as a part time Project Coordinator for Company A. I was told to “expect an offer in a few days”. Well no offer came, so today (a week after my interview), I emailed the HR manager to follow up. She said I was the top choice, but there was “reshuffling” of employees, and she “didn’t believe there was a vacancy at this time”. Instead, she offered a temporary employment position, saying I could fill in for vacation time, sick time etc., until a permanent position became available. I accepted this offer and asked for the pertinent info such as potential start date/salary/which location etc.

She said she was going on vacation next week and was therefore too busy to look into the specifics of her offer but will look into it when she gets back (in 1.5 weeks). She apologised and said because it’s a non-profit, the logistics might take some time.

A few more emails were exchanged, and it seems like she has confused the position I have applied for with something else (I’m guessing a similar position, but full time). Unfortunately, I did not ask her to verify which job she was referring to, as she made it clear that she is too busy and won’t be able to help me until she gets back from her vacation (but she said it nicely). Additionally, I don’t want to ruin my chances of getting this job by continually bothering her and asking for further clarification. She also said she could not guarantee this temporary job is definitely going to happen either.

Well, just now I received another job offer (for an Administrative position) from Company B and I need to tell them in pretty much 24 hours if I will take the job. This offer is less money, less hours and not a very exciting position, in fact I’m quite over qualified. It has more perks than most Administrative positions (I can work from home, its quite flexible, etc.), but the bottom line is that its not enough money to pay my bills and I would have to get another part time job on top of this.

So my situation is:

Turn down the job offer from Company B and wait for the HR manager from Company A to get back from vacation and she MIGHT offer me a job (which is pretty much my “ideal job”), but she also seems to be confused about the job that I applied for. Also, in the meantime continue applying for other jobs in case an offer doesn’t come through.

OR

Cut my losses with Company A, as they cannot conclusively offer me a position and accept the lesser paying unfulfilling job at Company B. Additionally, because Company B is offering less pay and less hours, I would have to get another part time job to compensate.

My biggest concern here is that I will not receive another opportunity for a Coordinator position. I have project management experience, but all my past job titles have been “Admin Assistant”, etc., so I am often overlooked for Project Coordinator positions. I find Admin work too boring and not challenging enough, so I would like to avoid working as an Administrator, but those are the only job offers I seem to be getting except from Company A.

I know it seems like Company A doesn’t have their **** together, and that this disorganisation may be a reflection of the company but I’m pretty sure the HR manager was just too busy or confused, etc. The guy who interviewed me (and who would be my boss) was very nice, organised and knew what was going on. Unfortunately, I don’t have his contact details and I think it may be bad to reach out to him via LinkedIn to explain the situation.

I haven’t worked in nearly 5 months, as I have been trying to be selective and choose a fulfilling job, but I have started applying for administrative jobs because financially, I can survive only another 2 months, which is a pretty small window to find a job.

What do you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 04:44 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,584,037 times
Accept the offer with Company B and if Company A comes through give your regrets to Company B. Don't mention your employment with Company B unless you need to complete information for a background check.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:06 PM

3,071 posts, read 2,410,711 times
I would call Company A and explain the situation to someone who can make a decision. If they want to hire you, they'll be happy to clear this up.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:54 AM

1,063 posts, read 697,983 times
Accept Company B and keep looking.

I was in a similar situation about a year and a half ago. Company A is unfortunately pulling your chain. If they really were excited about you the hiring manager would have made sure HR had their ducks in a row. Email the hiring manager on LinkedIn and say something like " It was a pleasure meeting you and I would like to remain connected for the future" That way if for some reason he is unaware of the HR managers stupid passive behavior regarding hiring them he will at least get the notion to ask her what is going on. Keep in my mind this is banking on the rare 5% chance he is actually interested in hiring you and is giving HR the benefit of the doubt in getting everything together appropriately.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:22 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,704,719 times
I'd go with Plan C:

Look for employment elsewhere entirely.

Company B is not going to pay your bills.
Company A is pulling your chain.
You are going to look desperate to Company A. You'll have no negotiating position with them at all.

Both of your options look poor. I'd look elsewhere entirely.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:47 PM

10,613 posts, read 12,147,558 times
Is this even an issue?
Would you really turn down an ACTUAL OFFER....to wait for an offer that may never come...especially given as shaky and uncoordinated as the company A process has been?

Take company B -- the bird in hand right now.

IF company A comes through -- with specifics about the position you actually applied for and want (that means a formal written offer, and a clear understanding of hours, benefits, etc).......THEN you can decide what to do. Stay with B, or leave and go to A.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:30 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,554,394 times
A) hr is not on commission, ask if you can work with someone else while she is on vacation

B) low salary because the money went into the "more perks" area... Learn to get by with less perks if you want a salary, because you can buy the perks you want instead of paying for perks you never use

Old 05-03-2018, 08:37 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,764,136 times
You don’t have a choice in jobs right now. You have one job offer.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:26 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,510,787 times
I agree with those who say to take the actual job being offered, as it sounds like you need a job with money right now. Company A hasn't offered you anything and they don't have their crap together so you don't even know for sure what job might be available and whether you'll get it. If they come through, you can make a decision at that point.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:53 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,667,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfEmplAssist View Post
I apologise for the length, I’ll try to keep this concise;

I had an interview for my “ideal job” as a part time Project Coordinator for Company A. I was told to “expect an offer in a few days”. Well no offer came, so today (a week after my interview), I emailed the HR manager to follow up. She said I was the top choice, but there was “reshuffling” of employees, and she “didn’t believe there was a vacancy at this time”. Instead, she offered a temporary employment position, saying I could fill in for vacation time, sick time etc., until a permanent position became available. I accepted this offer and asked for the pertinent info such as potential start date/salary/which location etc.

She said she was going on vacation next week and was therefore too busy to look into the specifics of her offer but will look into it when she gets back (in 1.5 weeks). She apologised and said because it’s a non-profit, the logistics might take some time.

A few more emails were exchanged, and it seems like she has confused the position I have applied for with something else (I’m guessing a similar position, but full time). Unfortunately, I did not ask her to verify which job she was referring to, as she made it clear that she is too busy and won’t be able to help me until she gets back from her vacation (but she said it nicely). Additionally, I don’t want to ruin my chances of getting this job by continually bothering her and asking for further clarification. She also said she could not guarantee this temporary job is definitely going to happen either.

Well, just now I received another job offer (for an Administrative position) from Company B and I need to tell them in pretty much 24 hours if I will take the job.
Have to stop you right there.

Company A has thrown numerous red flags at you. You have an offer from Company B. Why is there even a question? Why is Company A still on your radar; or, frankly, why were they still on your radar after they proved to you that they have zero respect for you?

Run, do not walk, to grab Company B's offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment