Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 06:29 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
We had a boss 15 - 20 years younger than the oldest members of the team - the position was advertised on an internal job board but not one member of the current team was even informed that the job was available to apply for , you just had to be lucky to stumble on it on the jobs board. This person was very close with the immediate boss above who conducted the interviews.

Even if you found the job and applied for it, your application would not have been treated seriously it was basically setup for a certain individual to get the job. The job spec was setup to be a close match as possible there Resume. You may have even got in trouble for having the audacity to apply for it.

This person was on a graduate programme a few years ago and then with years less experience that most of the team members was installed as the line manager.

Nothing against the person who got the job but when management blatantly manipulate the system to get there favoured people into positions, don’t even inform staff of management positions to apply for, and don’t take account of the experience and skills of people, basically leaving those not favoured to stagnate in positions going know where something is wrong.
So you admitted in the first sentence that no one else looked at the job board. How could you not know that your team was short a manager?

Just wondering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 06:32 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I have always worked for people older than me.

This seems weird to me. I don't really like it.

When I was starting out in the workforce @ 22, this 'kid' was 17.

I'm 36, he is 31.

I don't know why it bothers me, but it does.
I'm 58 and my supervisor is 40...

Had a 21 year old supervisor, when I was 35....

Have had many younger than me, a few were great, most were ok a few were the reason I quit. :P

Old 05-10-2018, 06:53 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
So you admitted in the first sentence that no one else looked at the job board. How could you not know that your team was short a manager?

Just wondering?
Of course we knew we were short of a manager, but the person who was given the job was actually appointed as a temporary manager for the position by their boss and they were there in the meantime until someone was interviewed and appointed.

No Timeframe given for interviews or when new managers will be appointed - then one day you find out with no discussion with any of the people in the team there looking for a new manager is being appointed and yes not one person except myself was aware of it because they never checked the job board.

Privately I discussed the issue with other colleagues that isn’t ridiculous that not one of us was informed- they told me don’t bother applying for it as the job has been setup for the person to get, there just following HR processes to ensure there covered.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:00 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I'm 32. Someone my own age as a manager? Not really a problem. Someone who is 25? I don't think they would have enough experience.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:05 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:

I'm 36, he is 31.

Get over yourself.

I'm almost 43 and I work in I.T. which due to rampant age discrimination, skews young.

I've worked for people younger than I am. It's not a big deal.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:12 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Of course we knew we were short of a manager, but the person who was given the job was actually appointed as a temporary manager for the position by their boss and they were there in the meantime until someone was interviewed and appointed.

No Timeframe given for interviews or when new managers will be appointed - then one day you find out with no discussion with any of the people in the team there looking for a new manager is being appointed and yes not one person except myself was aware of it because they never checked the job board.

Privately I discussed the issue with other colleagues that isn’t ridiculous that not one of us was informed- they told me don’t bother applying for it as the job has been setup for the person to get, there just following HR processes to ensure there covered.
So, your original statement that no one knew was not totally accurate. I don't get if you knew the person was a temporary appointment, that no one even bothered to look at the job board. It doesn't make sense. You knew and your fellow team members knew that the job was open, and you didn't look?

Old 05-10-2018, 08:14 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:

I'm 36, he is 31.

The really startling thing about your post is that you consider 5 years to be a significant age difference when you are both in your 30s. The "kid" isn't a kid at all. He is as much of an adult as you are. Hell, there's not even a generation gap between you two.

If this bothers you now, and the only way you will feel comfortable in a job is to be at least a year younger than your boss, you probably have a very rough ride ahead, one that will only get rougher as the years go by.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:51 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
So, your original statement that no one knew was not totally accurate. I don't get if you knew the person was a temporary appointment, that no one even bothered to look at the job board. It doesn't make sense. You knew and your fellow team members knew that the job was open, and you didn't look?
Your getting down to wether the job was posted, if team members looked or didn’t look. Your not addressing the real issue of the job posting and interview were only done to follow processes and they are prechoosen to get the job.

The point is this - the job should have been discussed with the team and everyone told applicants from this team are welcome. It was quietly posted without any discussion and my opinion this was done to minimise the number of applicants to prechoosen candidates(we didn’t even know if there were any other candidates). Instead someone with limited experience is helped along and told to apply by senior manager whilst the team members working on in the department are not informed.

You don’t go applying for internal jobs unless you have support of your manager or the person choosing the candidate. The whole thing reeks of nepotism.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:12 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Your getting down to wether the job was posted, if team members looked or didn’t look. Your not addressing the real issue of the job posting and interview were only done to follow processes and they are prechoosen to get the job.

The point is this - the job should have been discussed with the team and everyone told applicants from this team are welcome. It was quietly posted without any discussion and my opinion this was done to minimise the number of applicants to prechoosen candidates(we didn’t even know if there were any other candidates). Instead someone with limited experience is helped along and told to apply by senior manager whilst the team members working on in the department are not informed.

You don’t go applying for internal jobs unless you have support of your manager or the person choosing the candidate. The whole thing reeks of nepotism.
But they obviously didn't want someone internal for the job for whatever reason. If they did they would have handled it differently. Would it have been better for them to have done what you suggested, wasted everyone's time and then made the same decision?

Old 05-10-2018, 09:17 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Inevitably you will become older. Once you are age 50+ many/most of the people that you will consider “customers” of your services will be younger than you. A boss is just another customer in many ways. It happens, initially it’s humbling but then it becomes normal. It trains one to be respectful and appreciate we can learn from everyone once we open our minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment