Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 06:51 PM

828 posts, read 911,571 times

Advertisements

I'm filling out an application for an international NGO. It's asking me to list every single job I've ever had. I don't think I could do that if I even tried. I'm middle aged and I've been working for decades. I worked in retail, food, offices, temp jobs, etc. How do people fill these things out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 07:00 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,606,399 times
Maybe they want to know whether or not you've ever been or at least worked with people who are disadvantaged as well as professionals & semi professionals. Just a thought, as I have no experience with NGO's other than volunteering at food banks.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:10 PM

828 posts, read 911,571 times
10-15 years ago, I applied for a job at a federal contractor, and they wanted the same thing. Thing is, 10-15 years ago, I had less jobs, so I went ahead and did it. But by now, it's not even possible. I'm just hoping it doesn't cost me an opportunity to interview.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:01 AM

23,478 posts, read 19,159,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
I'm filling out an application for an international NGO. It's asking me to list every single job I've ever had. I don't think I could do that if I even tried. I'm middle aged and I've been working for decades. I worked in retail, food, offices, temp jobs, etc. How do people fill these things out?
Do you mean you can't remember all the pertinent details of these jobs? Can you group them in some way such as "retail sales", "restaurant server", "general office administration" and bracket them into longer timeframes such as "2000 through 2010, retail sales" and include a list of those employers? If you need "reminding" of dates and employers you might check your SS annual statement. They usually include a list of all paid work by date and earnings. They are probably looking for a way to categorize your skills and experience. I doubt it's because they need you to account for every period of time over the years.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:02 AM

669 posts, read 586,450 times
Babysitter...1975

Old 05-23-2018, 06:15 AM

9,475 posts, read 8,463,541 times
I had a similar problem when asked to provide all previous addresses that I've lived in. There were places I'd totally forgotten about a decade ago that I had to locate on old pay stubs.

My advice is to sit down and put it all down on a Word doc and save it for future use. Use old paystubs, w-2s, tax returns....whatever means necessary to get it and then once you have it down in writing you'll have it forever.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:49 AM

5,902 posts, read 3,919,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post

This is quite strange. I've seen applications ask for the candidate to list the past seven to ten years of employment, but the entire working history since one's teenage years? Maybe they're hoping to filter out any elder statesmen who apply.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:04 AM

723 posts, read 1,008,840 times
Default Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
This is quite strange. I've seen applications ask for the candidate to list the past seven to ten years of employment, but the entire working history since one's teenage years? Maybe they're hoping to filter out any elder statesmen who apply.
they are just looking for the past 10 years, even on resumes best to just keep it relevant

Old 05-23-2018, 11:23 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,677,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I had a similar problem when asked to provide all previous addresses that I've lived in. There were places I'd totally forgotten about a decade ago that I had to locate on old pay stubs.

My advice is to sit down and put it all down on a Word doc and save it for future use. Use old paystubs, w-2s, tax returns....whatever means necessary to get it and then once you have it down in writing you'll have it forever.
Putting aside the fact that wanting "every job you've ever had" is a silly requirement and a huge red flag that you should walk away from...

You can get a report from Social Security with that info. I don't remember the specifics, but I had to do that once a long time ago, and I still have the report they sent me in my safe.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:36 PM

194 posts, read 222,834 times
7-10 years is sufficient and should be relevant work experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment